An odd ebay message.

CaptnBob

I just got an email purporting to be from ebay, saying that someone I recently did business with, and who had just registered, was getting banned and their feedback deleted.

Now, this sounds like it could be the guy I just sold my old LaScala crossovers to - there were red flags here and there, but the transaction did go off ok, I got the money through Pay-Pal, and the USPS says the package was delivered and signed for.

So, the question is, is this message on the level, (I'm doubtful - ebay usually doesn't email you) and has anyone else gotten such a thing?

All e-mails originating from eBay will have the following at the beginning: "eBay sent this message to your name (your eBay ID).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.
Learn more. "

(note what I underlined) If it doesn't say this at the top, it's not from eBay. You can also log into eBay and check your messages. The message will also show up there if it is legitimate.

Uh, thanks for the offer, Dave, but I think I'll wait until I get the damaged strips reveneered.

The message appears to be legit - there was a duplicate waiting for me on ebay, and when I looked up the guy (threebinhere for those interested) it said he had been expelled, blacklisted and cast into the outer darkness.

So what do you have to do to get "rifled" so fast? Was he selling controlled substances? Stolen fighter jets from North Korea?

Our transaction went OK, although I'm glad I took the usual precautions. I hope my crossovers found a good home, and weren't part of some international scam or something.

• Moderators

I just got an email purporting to be from ebay, saying that someone I recently did business with, and who had just registered, was getting banned and their feedback deleted.

Now, this sounds like it could be the guy I just sold my old LaScala crossovers to - there were red flags here and there, but the transaction did go off ok, I got the money through Pay-Pal, and the USPS says the package was delivered and signed for.

So, the question is, is this message on the level, (I'm doubtful - ebay usually doesn't email you) and has anyone else gotten such a thing?

After doing about 5000 transactions through the Klipschstore on ebay, I've gotten that exact message maybe 5 times. They were all legit, and the transactions I'd had with them went through fine long before I'd received the notification, so our store was not affected. It did not give any reasons as to why they were banned.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. [:)]

Here is one I received last night .

Dear eBay Seller ,

We are about to delete all your Feedback earned for transactions on eBay because eBay buyer baytree accused you of eBay fraud. He told us that you never answer to his e-mail messages.

Please Sign In as soon as possible so we can resolve this problem. If you don't reply to this message you can lose your feedback and maybe your eBay account.

Thank you for your understanding.

eBayLogo.gif

Funny , I have never sold anything on ebay . [*-)]

The phishing just gets worse and worse . One reason I have not used ebay since Sept. .

Anytime you get a suspicious email like this forward it to spoof@ebay.com .

• Moderators

Yeah, ANY time an email asks you to sign in to your ebay account, that is definitely phishing. Always log into your account through My eBay, and you shouldn't have to sign in again during your session when answering emails.