Members Weekly Music Recommendatons-Jan. 22

thebes

Just a quick personal note to thank all the fine folks folks, and
particularly the stalwarts who post week after week. While
participation is small of late, I continue to be amazed at the quality
of the recommendations. Last week is a case in point, great stuff
and certainly a couple are on my short list.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music
as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Comboy Junkies, "The Trinity Session", lp, country/folk

This is one of several new to me records I've listened to lately
and is probably the keeper of the bunch. I had heard the name but
never knew anything about the music. A combination of
covers and original material with a melodic lead singer, it's hardly
uptempo music and not a snoozer either. Hard to describe but very
cool. Not all of my recommedations are well recorded, (I do try
to point those ones out) but this is.

So what do you have to share this week?

I don't post much here but I always check in for some good music to buy. So, keep 'em coming.

Leo Kottke is in town for a concert later this week and we're going to go see him. So, I pulled out my old copy of his debut album, "6 & 12 String Guitar." It's one of my oldest albums and I'll never tire of it. From the liner notes, it was recorded in three and a half hours while he basically played everything he knew at the age of 24. There are a lot of those "are you sure that's not two guitars playing?" double takes while listening to this record. Even after all of these years, it is nothing short of musical genius and brilliant technical virtuosity. Don't let yourself get old and die without ever listening to this album.

post-17394-13819321568218_thumb.jpg

Ironically, I was watching Chain Saw Masacre "The Beginning" this weekend, which took place during the late 1960's (Vietnam era), and they played some very nice soundtracks of that era which brought back some fond memories of Woodstock:

Alvin Lee and Ten Years After

http://alvinlee.com/biography.html

FTR, I was 12 when the ORIGINAL Woodstock took place!

What a strong start this week.............Sheriff Thebes, isn't "Sweet Jane" on that album? Pretty good............EH ? Leo Kottke and Alvin Lee, are we into Guitars this week? Alvin Lee at Woodstock, the finest performance of that show, I was stuck on Guard Duty at Fort Dix the week-end of Woodstock, so I missed it too, just as well, I'd probably still be there..............Far Out, Peace Brother, and all that ............anyway, on with the Music.................

IN FLIGHT : ALVIN LEE...............................CD.......................1974............................Remastered

Ten Years After has always been, and still remains, one of my favorite bands.Got a taste for them while stationed in Germany in 1969, along with other things, SSSSH being the first album I heard. That Guitar player, Alvin Lee, damn he's different, different sound, double cut away Gibson, that's not a rock guitar, is it? Yeah it is, in his hands anyway.......wow, he's good. So, after close to a ten year run with TYA, Alvin becomes alittle bored, and steps away from TYA, and does this show Live at the Rainbow in 1974. This is a double CD of that nights show.........Absolutely no Ten Years After songs, not a one.......Old style rock and roll.....some classics, most Alvin Lee written songs, 22 songs total, German Remastered, great sound. My favorite on here is, "Freedom for the Stallion", an Allen Toussaint song with Mel Collins on Sax, damn man, what a song. Alvin, who is a Presley fan, Scotty Moore fan to be exact, include two of his songs,"Don't be Cruel", and "Mystery Train". This is one of those discs that you put on, and your toe tapping a couple of minutes into it. Great stuff here, just reissued, another disc I'd thought I'd never be able to replace when I got rid of my record collection. If the old style Rock and Roll is what you like give this disc a try................Great Band, Guitar, HORNS, backup singers, the whole nine yards...the one thing you won't find here is Ten Years After songs. To be honest with you, when this record first came out, I hated it, I wanted Ten Years After music, Boy, I was pissed, but here we are 32 years later, and OB is singing a different tune..............Do your ears a favor, Beg, Borrow, Buy or steal a copy of this, I think you'll like it..........Please remember, this is not TYA.............It's ALVIN LEE........No Capt. Speedfingers, always hated it when people called him that, he is so much more than that...................

Thebes, that Chinese chicken had glass in it.....................YUK !!!!!!!!!!!................[;)].......BUD

Why I do believe I have a couple of Ten Years After lps lying around
here. I do like their music but the top performances at Woodstock
are in this order:

Richie Havens

Jimi Hendrix

Crosby, Stills Nash and Young

and of course, the Sha-na-nas[:D]

How do I know? Because I was there!

Thebes, never heard of the Comboy Junkies -- they good? Kidding--that's a great album--

How about Mahogany Rush Live? This was one of my favorite albums in the late 70's, and I played it along with the VanHalen debut album in the car nonstop. Similar to VH because it had alot of guitar pyrotechnics, and Frank Marino plays with alot of style on the speedy riffs and leads. Classic rock that was overlooked, but what a show!

Heard this last week after not hearing it for years-- its still fun--with a great version of Purple Haze that takes off--