COLTS on HDTV

colterphoto1

Need some tv advice in a hurry. Planning on having some folks over for the big shindig on Feb 5. I have a Canon 7105 projector that I use for my photo business. It's Native XGA at 720 but only 400:1 contrast and 800 ANSI lumens. I can control the lighting pretty well in my room and have a Draper 100" diagonal matte white screen. It looks great on DVD's.

Here's the rub, I do not have CATV, and no I won't get CATV. But I understand that HDTV is on the airwaves so I can pick it up with an antenna and using a HDTV TUNER, hook up to my projector for semi-fantastic picture.

Have any of you done this, have advice on tuners, have a tuner you aren't using anymore? Or just general advice for the setup?

If you've been to my place, I'm turning the room 90 degrees clockwise so the screen will be on the 'back' wall with projection going in the long dimension of the room. LS mains, THX subs, dual KP201 centers, CW rears. Am I leaving anything out? Oh yeah, thinking of hooking up the CrownDC300IIA for the main L+R channels. Nothing like headroom when you have 30+ screaming COLTS fans!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the air local HD signals are available in AR so surely they are in Indy. Yea you need a tuner & antenna. I haven't gone to the trouble yet. Isn't dtel setup this way. I like your thinking, HD on Dish Network is incredible.

JT

I wanted to watch the Bears game last weekend at the office on my laptop. So I bought a Pinnacle ATSC tuner (digital TV) which hooks up to the USB port. The laptop has a wide screen. It worked perfectly.

The tuner cost $120 at BB.

There are processor and memory requirements but it worked okay with my 4 - 5 year old laptop which was just meeting the minimum and not the recommended..

It seems to me that if you have a computer to feed the projector it could work.

Gil

never heard of HDTV on the airwaves...

Moving your room 90 degrees sounds like a ton of work!

Actually Mike I just need to swap the Left LS for the Right CW and I'll have it whipped. Going to reset the THX subs anyway. And route the center cable under the screen. I'll use two of my heavy duty background stands for a temp screen rig.

With a couple more wires I could setup my KSW12 in the rear and put another 2 Heresies back there for rear surround duty.

Only problem is my gang keeps inviting more people. It looks like 30-40 peeps so far- but no I'm NOT letting them use my photo gallery for more seating. What do you do when people just keep coming over though? I guess it's good to have friends, but I'm getting the #2 recliner!

• Moderators

Hey I don't know very much about over the air antenna's but you could call one of the people recommended on this thread, or someone who sells that type of antenna and ask for Tech support.

I hear those tech support people really know their products, and sometimes they are fanatics about their products and love to help ! I'm sure you would get good advice if you caught one that loved their products !

Sorry, couldn't help myself, ...........but it's true ! [:D]

The Pinnacle comes with a little telescoping whip antenna with a magnetic base.

My guess is that if you can get UHF channels on you rabbit ears, then this will work. It is my understanding CBS is broadcasting the 'Bowl.

The Pinnacle has a software disk. When you set it up it will search for signals and let you know what you're receiving.

I'll point out that BB has been good with me returning equipment (at least some cheapo earbuds). Therefore you could buy the unit this week and check it out. If it works, fine. If not, you can return it and look for another solution. (It would be very uncool to use it for the game and then return it, of course.)

Maybe engineers at work could give you some advice.

= = = = =

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is an Indianapolis
Colts fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they are Colts
fans too. Not really knowing what a Colts fan was, but wanting to be
liked by their teacher, their hands fly into the air.

There is, however, one exception. Susie has not gone along with the
crowd. The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different.
"Because I'm not a Colts fan," she reports. "Then," asks the teacher,
"what are you? "I'm a Chicago Bears fan!" boasts the little girl. The
teacher asks Susie why she is a Bears fan. "Well, my Dad and Mom are
Bears fans, so I'm a Bears fan too" she responds. "That's no reason," the
teacher says. "What if your mom was a moron and your dad was an idiot.
What would you be then?"

Susie smiles and says, "A Colts fan."

= = =

Smile,

Gil

- END MESSAGE -->

Need some tv advice in a hurry. Planning on having some folks over for the big shindig on Feb 5. I have a Canon 7105 projector that I use for my photo business. It's Native XGA at 720 but only 400:1 contrast and 800 ANSI lumens. I can control the lighting pretty well in my room and have a Draper 100" diagonal matte white screen. It looks great on DVD's.

Here's the rub, I do not have CATV, and no I won't get CATV. But I understand that HDTV is on the airwaves so I can pick it up with an antenna and using a HDTV TUNER, hook up to my projector for semi-fantastic picture.

If you've been to my place, I'm turning the room 90 degrees clockwise so the screen will be on the 'back' wall with projection going in the long dimension of the room. LS mains, THX subs, dual KP201 centers, CW rears. Am I leaving anything out? Oh yeah, thinking of hooking up the CrownDC300IIA for the main L+R channels. Nothing like headroom when you have 30+ screaming COLTS fans!

Why would you spend all this time, money, and effort just to watch your favorite team get clubbed like a baby seal?

- Jim

If I get this working, I'll keep it up. Probably will be just the thing to get me to kick my old Sony 36" out and buy plasma or ?? It's my understanding that many network shows in HD nowdays, and there will only be more in time. Wasn't this supposed to be an all-HD world by 2006?

Don't know about cables, I have a DIN cable for DVD-> PJ, will that carry the signal? Or I have the 15 pin computer line. No HDMI on anything though, hope that does not limit me. THere is no way to use software because I'm not moving a computer for this.

And although Chicago is good, Rex is a newbie. Peyton, the Manning family, and the Colts DESERVE this. And I will invite the gang over for the 4th, but I'm really concerned about the crowd. People keep inviting people and it's really getting out of hand. I don't want the house trampled and I don't have time to remodel the whole basement before they get here. What to do?

Harry- I'll check in with Ovation. One guy at work says he uses this setup and it absolutely works.

Back to bed with me... arrrggghh why can't I sleep?

regarding OTA (over the air) HD TV where you live, simply go to http://www.antennaweb.org and plug in your address info, and it will tell you what is available in your area. It will also tell you what direction to point your antenna, assuming the game is being broadcast on an OTA HD channel that you can pick up.

I did this, and then went to radioshack and picked up a simple amplified antenna for $49, which then inputs into the back of my dishnetwork reciever, which feeds by HDMI to my TV.

Unfortunately, I have no clue as to how to send your signal from a TV tuner to your projector, but it looks like others have weighed in on that topic.

good luck.

Colter, I have been in your crowd perdicament before. I set up 3 or 4 tv's at various locations and just let the chips fall where they may. There is only so much you can do as a good host to an over spilling crowd. I know you don't drink these days but my experience is the Super Bowl quickly turns into a social gathering (party) especially when women are involved. To the good ladies here that was not meant as a slamming insult merely that guys, when alone, tend to veg out in front of the game.

As for house trampling that's the hard part for me, I keep a clean house. I try to stay relatively sober so I can clean up immediately afterwards.

Good Luck to ya.