Spongeworthy's Hybrid K-Horns

bluesboy

As some of you might recall I recently built Tarheel a set of LaScala hybrids using a combination of padauk hardwood and a gloss black finish. Spongeworthy decided to have me do a pair of K-Horn hybrids nsing the same concept. So Keith (Spongeworthy) brought me his set of 511-b horns, JBL 2404 tweeters and K-33s from Bob Crites a couple of weeks ago and yesterday we fired them up for the first time. Following are some constuction pictures.

Here's bass bins. They are from Speakerlab plans so the top and bottom panels mirror each other which make it easy to add panels to close in the back of the cabinet. I noticed others here had tried this. I would highly reccomend this modification. When we tried them out I had the speakers set up fairly close together nowhere near corners and the bass responce was excellent.

post-15074-13819321698758_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Bluesboy, those speakers are beautiful. Obviously, some fine craftsmanship. One of a kind, what more could someone ask for...I sure hope Spongeworthy has some copies of these pics to keep with his speakers.

Thank you for taking the time to post some pics for us.

Bluesboy, those speakers are beautiful. Obviously, some fine craftsmanship. One of a kind, what more could someone ask for...I sure hope Spongeworthy has some copies of these pics to keep with his speakers.

Thank you very much. The project couldn't have any better. I had a blast doing it.

• Moderators

Thank you very much. The project couldn't have any better. I had a blast doing it.

I sure hope you start hanging out in here more often. We would love to see some pics of other builds you might have done?????

After these turned out so well, I am already thinking about the next project. Bluesboy and I talked about a possible build of a Cornwall hybrid for my center speaker to replace a beater decorator heresy that I'm using. We were thinking of a gloss black verticle, decorator-style using the paduak trim, like on the bass bins of the corner horns. I would use another 2404H tweeter and possibly an Altec 811 horn. I'll probably consult ALK for a crossover if he is willing to help. Just some initial thoughts.

On a side note, Bluesboy was absolutely awesome to deal with on the project. He had great ideas but was totally open to my input. With that said, we used 99% of his ideas and design. Best of all, he built these like they were going in his home, with attention to every detail. Don's a class guy with serious skills.