LaScala LS-BB speakers for sale

Sue3054

I have a pair of black birch LS-BB speakers, vintage 1975, for sale. These have sat their entire lives undisturbed as organ speakers. (When we purchased the used organ these were too large for our living room.)

I live in Utah - would be willing to deliver them locally to a shipping and packing outlet. Contact me for photos of the pair. Asking $800/pair

Sue3054

• 5 months later...

Ki - the UPS Store says about $525. for shipping. Sue

ups wont ship these they exceed there size limits, the best shipper for a pair of speakers in my experiance is craighters and freighters they seem fairly reasonable, they insure them and they do great packageing

Joe

I've shipped LaScala's using both fedex and UPS.

The cost of shipping empty boxes vs the cost of shipping boxes with LaScala's in them was only a 100 bucks.

Both UPS and FedEx had changed their policy to accept boxes up to 150Lbs. So they will take the LaScalas.

I just had bad experience (agian) shipping Belle Klipsches to a gentleman in Oregon which is only ~450 miles away from Seattle via UPS. The Belle Klipsches were in "as new" conditions and packed in their original factory cartons and boxes (including the moisture absorbent packs. etc!). When the boxes got to Oregon both speakers were damaged... To make the long stroy short, UPS had denied all insurance claims due to - in their opinion - insufficient packing... go figure.

Although the LaScalas are not as big as the Belle Klipsches, unless you are 100% sure the LsScala's will survive the shipping mistreatment, I would not ship them even 100 miles...

Ki

. "To make the long stroy short, UPS had denied all insurance claims due to - in their opinion - insufficient packing... go figure." 

the original carton would have been great strapped to a pallet.

I shipped LaScala's using their original box...but I added foam sheets to all sides of the LaScalas in the box....then I put that in a second box with foam sheets and 1/4 ply on the inner walls of the other box....weight was low and the cabs made it OK.

I have found that used boxes, lack of double boxes, etc, will result in unhonored insurance.

I have had much, much better luck just shipping via my local post

office than UPS. Obviously the post office may not do La Scalas

but go anywhere, and I mean anywhere, else besides UPS if you are

shipping something fragile.

Sorry to hear of the hassle...yet again!

Why are so many still trying to ship units via UPS and FedEx that are exceptions at best with carriers who are not equiped to handle them?! - meaning they do NOT fit the standard package profiles nor the ability of the high school or college kid (singular!) who must man handle these things by himself out of a truck with no dolly, for which both UPS and FedEX are structured?

Its obvious few have ever worked there or actually been inside the hub to be familiar with the format and process..

And then we blame UPS...

Ship freight, or better yet, containerized freight with a carrier such as ForwardAir.

I have never had a problem.

Of course I miss out on the fun that all of you folks seem to enjoy as so many continue to do this despite all of the lamentable stories. But of course you saved $20 bucks (and are now out speakers), didn't you? ...he said with a very dry sardonic tone of voice...

UPS is for non-fragile packages that one person can easily handle (meaning pick up and lift over the head) that are packed sufficiently with a buffer against impact, pressure, and puncture.

Oh, and for all of those who advocate going to a UPS drop off location other than the UPS hub... and that includes Office Depot, the UPS Store, etc... YOU ARE NOT BUYING INSURANCE WITH UPS. You are not even contracting with UPS! You are entering into a contract with the agent and buying insurance from an agent. That agent is the ONLY party with standing with UPS. You are NOT! You have entered into a contract with the agent and whatever their policies are - NOT UPS!

My suggestion if you do use UPS, drive the few miles to te HUB! Do not use an agent unless you can afford to eat the loss.

• 10 months later...

ups sucks alright one time i shipped a 15hp johnson outboard to texas, i even built my own 2x4 crate wrapped it in garbage bags, then filled it with that foam in a can, and when it got there it had been dropped so hard that it had busted the top, flywheel and bent the crankshaft , the ups driver even said that it fell about 10 feet off the doc and they still refused the claim , they realy do suck