Which Klipsch are for me?

spooareyou

Good Luck on your journey!

I would definitely try and listen to the speakers first. These designs do some things very well, but they are areas in which they do not excel. The strengths are directly a result of their efficency. They have a very dynamic and clean sound (low distortion). In this respect they really are remarkable. However, they are not for everyone. That is why I suggest listening first.

The Klipschorns are the big guys and need proper placement in the room's corners (otherwise don't bother unless you use false corners - there are threads on the topic). They sound very good, but they can be expensive (realistically $2000-4000). The availablity is limited and they do not transport easily (this must be factored into the cost)

The LaScalas and Belles are also loaded basshorn designs but will not dig as deep (the Belle has a different mid-range from the first two and folks can argue about its virtues). Prices on these vary quite a bit. The Belle is nicer looking (and you will pay a premium for that)

The Cornwall is a different design, and although it has a strong bass, it does not have the same smoothness and accuracy in the lows and also the mids can sound a bit nasal for some (although it is a very good speaker, I own one myself). I mention the Cornwalls because they seem to be readily avaliable and more easily transported. They typically sell for around $500-850 (used price & depends on condition and various price fluctuations).

Since space is not an issue, I will not mention the Heresy (although it has a very good sound for a little guy).

I love my Klipschorns, but for value (i.e., sound divided by cost) I think the Cornwalls are a very good deal.

Good Luck,

-Tom