Just bought a Rotel RB-1080 to drive my RF-7's

Iceman

I have to thank everyone on the forum for their advice... I love this amplifier and I'm amazed at how powerful and clear the sound is coming through the RF-7's... I'm not even sure I need a sub any more. But then again, I listen to a lot of music with deep bass and I watch a lot of movies. The reason I mention this is that I've begun contemplating replacing my Yamaha receiver with a legit pre-amp. I looked into the Rotel RC-1070 (which I'm sure is inferior to what most of you are running but I don't have too much $ to throw around); everything looked good to me except for the lack of a subwoofer output. I know you can still run a sub and use the crossover from my SVS, but unless someone can tell me that that's a better way to set up the system than I am caught in the desire for a dedicated sub output. Are there any 2 channel pre-amps that have a subwoofer output? I would also be willing to go for a 5-channel pre and run it in stereo, but before I get ahead of myself I thought I'd see what recommendations anyone may have for me.

Any advice is most appreciated.

• Like 1

...congrats on the new Rotel for your Rf-7's! .....I have heard a dedicated Preamp or high quality Processor can make a difference in the way things sound. Take your time going just one step at a time and enjoy what you have for the time being.

Good Luck with everything and enjoy the ride.......

• 1 month later...

Iceman, I'm responding because I'm apparently a day and a dollar behind you in the same plan. I just got an RB-1080 last week (fantastic combo with RF-7)

I have the Yamaha RX-V2600 in 5.1 mode with pre-outs to the Rotel driving my RF-7 mains. I too, contemplate whether going all separates is best. For now, I'm going to stay with the receiver. Here's why: I want to keep a good 5.1 system option. For the money, good receivers pack a lot of value in that they have resonably good processing for all modes and enough amplification just using it for the center and surrounds. In fact, I think the V2600 that I have uses Burr-Brown DA converters which are fantastic....check out yours before you decide to change.

Buying the RB-1080 allowed me to have killer two-channel when I wanted and still have 5.1 (I listen to a lot of concert DVDs). A separate pre/pro which can deliver in 5 channel and be significantly better is likely to cost $$$, not to mention trading out the RB-1080 for a 5 channel amp. So that's where I am....A little compromise. If you go completely to separates for two channel, PM me what you did and how it worked. For now, don't ditch the 5.1 system because there are a lot of really good recordings out there that you need the play-back option for. I still have to remind myself that I'm not just collecting esoteric electronic equipment, but that I am using electronics to exploit playback of some very high quality artistic media (and a movie once in while doesn't hurt). Some people hang a lot of art on the wall....mine is in my ears.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to thank everyone on the forum for their advice... I love this amplifier and I'm amazed at how powerful and clear the sound is coming through the RF-7's... I'm not even sure I need a sub any more. But then again, I listen to a lot of music with deep bass and I watch a lot of movies. The reason I mention this is that I've begun contemplating replacing my Yamaha receiver with a legit pre-amp. I looked into the Rotel RC-1070 (which I'm sure is inferior to what most of you are running but I don't have too much $ to throw around); everything looked good to me except for the lack of a subwoofer output. I know you can still run a sub and use the crossover from my SVS, but unless someone can tell me that that's a better way to set up the system than I am caught in the desire for a dedicated sub output. Are there any 2 channel pre-amps that have a subwoofer output? I would also be willing to go for a 5-channel pre and run it in stereo, but before I get ahead of myself I thought I'd see what recommendations anyone may have for me.

Any advice is most appreciated.

I keep looking at this issue myself (my previous post). I just e-mailed Rotel regarding status of their surround pre-pro RSP-1068 (around $1700 new I think). It is due for an upgrade they told me: "3rd or 4th quarter"...might be called RSP-1069...with better video options: HDMI...upscaling to 1080p.

I have not checked on the more competitively priced Outlaw 990 but I'm interested. There is a good FAQ at their site (1996) with details...price around $1100. Anyone with info about it's status?

Bottom line: the Rotel 2-channel (1080) amp that I bought is so much better than my Yammi receiver, I've got to set up a long-term plan to change over to multiple amps or multi-channel amps.....I will not think about 2 channel pre-pros now since it's likely that i would end up changing that in the future also. I'll live with a receiver for a pre-pro in the short term...Good luck on your plans...post your moves.

Roger

Rotel 1080 ? I need to remember that combination.

Fine amp. Congrats on your 1080.

Speeball, when I owned Dean-modded RF7s, I first ran them by a Rotel 1080 until I made a certain purchase that you might know about.

Carl.

I'll take the bait, Carl....tell me about the "certain purchase"....(and can the average human afford it?).

Roger

Speeball, when I owned Dean-modded RF7s, I first ran them by a Rotel 1080 until I made a certain purchase that you might know about.

Carl.

I'll take the bait, Carl....tell me about the "certain purchase"....(and can the average human afford it?).

Roger

Roger, understand my post was not intended as a knock on the 1080. I really liked my 1080/RF7 combo. Outstanding tight bass and very detailed at lower to middle volumes. At times, my listening habits can creep into higher spls with rock, and I found the QSC smoother at higher volumes. But just one person's ears at a moment in time.

Carl.

Carl.

LOL...LOL,

QSC

Pat, just curious - have you put a new fan in yet? Or are you running fanless? If so, is yours running hot? Curious because I'm still running my other 1202, and I've thought about finally yanking and/or replacing the fan.

Carl.

UFO: Throw me in there too. I ran 7's with an Outlaw 7500 amp. Very nice & powerful. I've ran 7's with QSC. Very very nice & more powerful. I've since sold my 7's & gone all heritage.

AAhhh.....'heritage'.....There is a legend that in my town there is someone (who frequents this forum) that 'went heritage' and probably hasn't been seen since. I'm fighting the urge to find this individual and listen. But then, I clearly remember sneaking booze into my house when I was young....and in similar fashion when my wife asked "what is the black thing in the back of your car", I just answered "something I'm keeping for a friend!"....before sneaking the rotel inside. There has to be a stop to this someplace....going heritage indeed. So, I get up before dawn to connect the rotel....later in the day...Wife: "what's different there by the entertainment center?"...."Oh, nothing dear, just a little thing I had to get yesterday down at Richard's shop, it's nothing"....

You see, when I ordered the RF-7 they were "just some new speakers to try out, dear".....and my cover got blown when the damn things showed up on a cargo pallet!!!!......Heritage indeed......how would I EVER explain that....I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of swapping the 2 channel rotel for a 5...and rehearsing my line...."Oh, nothing,dear....no it's not really bigger....I just moved some stuff around".

Heritage, indeed....!

Roger

Oh man, I'd be happy to run that Rotel. [:P]

Just so happens I bought my first QSC from Carl and it's a great for little money. The fan has been removed and after running the amp 24/7 for a couple weeks it barely gets warm to the touch. Was working on getting a quieter replacement fan but for now it's fine.

Heritage? let me tire of my RF series first, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the amp purchase... I just purchased a QSC myself. Powerful, very powerful, but the fan noise is going to require possibly relocating the unit for listening at lower volumes.

exactly the reason I sold my very powerful tri-path Carver. the fan drove me up the wall at lower volumes.