You upstate NY boys still kickin?

Arky

We've only had a couple days in the last couple weeks that were up to double digit highs, but I'd rather have the cold than deal with all the snow you guys have had. I saw pics this morning on the news of swingsets that were only 1 foot higher than the snow, and there were places that were worse. I've been through some deep snow before, seems I recall finding somewhewre to put the dang stuff was the biggest problem. I mean, if you get a foot of snow, you take your shovel, get a scoop full and lift it 1 1/2 feet and toss it aside. But what do you do when the snow is 6 feet high? [:S]

Good luck you guys.

I will be driving through hardest hit area on rt. 81 tomorrow. 127 inches of snow in Pulaski area with another 3 or 4 feet coming. This is a record breaking event. I have to see it with my own eyes. I will take lots of pics and post them. I am driving my chevy 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with meyers snow plow .

oldbuckster--how long have you lived in upstate ny, and how does this bout compare with other storms over the years?

My family moved here from Boston, Mass. in December of 1963...........God, that's along time ago..........It is now home to me...met my wife here, she's from NYC, raised my kids here, and I'll tell you brother, I plan on dying here. I love it here, the snow sucks, but that's part of the four seasons. I remember late 60's thru the late 70's getting storms like this was normal.............snow storms have been alot lighter in the past 20 or so years, but the one yesterday was a big one for us. Remember that 7,8, 9 feet of snow is in western N.Y................. I'm over on the right side, or eastern part of the state.............I started in Salem, N.Y. and worked my way over here to the Saratoga Springs area..........and here I stay.........I really consider myself an Upstate New Yorker.........actually, we are considered North Country N.Y.......that's my story.....................

i spent the winter of 1978 based out of sault ste. marie, michigan working on an icebreaking ship on lake michigan and lake superior. was a pretty intense winter, although i had nothing to compare it to. coming from southern california, i reported to the ship at the end of october and didn't even own a coat. day one, right after work, i went into town and bought one.

never have visited new york, although it is on my list of places to visit before i die. always thought that the period between thanksgiving and Christmas would be a good time to visit. Brisk air and the city all decorated. ok, i'm sounded like a tourist now.

Regards,

Steve

BigStewMan...............New York City, is the greatest city in the world, but if you really want to see New York State you need to come up North , Lake George, the Adirondacks, Saratoga Springs in the summer................the North Country's where it's at..........Late summer, early fall, don't get much better..................if your ever up here get ahold of me, I'd be glad to give you the tour..............For Sure.............Tourist Guy.............

Naw, some drifting but not too bad.........the worse part of the storm was blowing snow, and about half way through the storm, the snow mixed with water.....freezing windshields....I might have a 7 or 8 foot drift in the back yard.............driveway was brutal, 3 plows, and I like a dummy was out on the road with Doctor appointments...........the last one which is a 15 minute ride, took me 1 1/2 hours to get home........Nasty, but still better off than the guys out west..........it's just winter in the NorthEast, Doc............first big snow of the year here.......we'll pay for a mild winter now..............

Hey, It's really bad here. The National Guard is here in my county. We didn't get as much snow as Oswego, Pulaski, and Sandy Creek but we've been getting about a foot or more a day for at least a week. The good thing is I was prepared and had my snowblower fixed and gone through completely and picked it up last week. Doug, good luck driving to Pulaski I know you probably wouldn't drive there if it wasn't completely necessary. Mark