My Edgar Mid-Horn Construction Pics...Fun, Fun

jorjen

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you add the thickness of the driver mounting plate, we arrive at 11.75" on my horns. I intended to use .75" stock for the mounting plate added to an 11" horn. The article specifies that once the horn is complete, cut off the throat end of the horn by the thickness of the driver mounting plate you have chosen. As stated previously, close enough I suppose.

Absolutely. You easily see what I'm talking about.

Now I cut flares calculated for a lower cutoff based exactly how he described it. I realized that with his technique, the bigger the horn...the more error there is w/o correction.

For instance guys. My horn is 225 cutoff tractrix. Mouth 24" x 12". Horn length 17.5.

Now I'm going to show you some images....this might further explain my point to others. This isn't to take away from Jorden thread as he doews beautiful work and I wondered what happened to his horn project. I'm glad he posted the technique.

This image here is the jig. Notice that the height of the jig is 17.5 inches. It should be the length of the horn. The length of the top and bottom panels should be longer than 17.5. In my case, the length would be 18 3/16. IOW, the height of the trapeziod jib is 17.5 and the sides of the trapeziod is 18 3/16.

What I did is correspond the exact measurement down the center of the horn to the corresponding measurement on the side of the trapeziod. So those horizontal lines every few centimeters is what the height of the horn should be that exact location measured at the side of the trapezoid. the measurement between the center and down the side is always different by a little. BUT, this will allow the EXACT area calculation at that point of the horn and then figure then calculate the width at those exact locations when drawing out the width at that location......the flares.

post-16499-13819322108084_thumb.jpg

Sorry. Have to look close to see all the flared dots.

Now in this image, is those flare cutouts...top and bottom standing straight up. Yes...they are 18 3/16 tall. They are seperated by 12"...the height of the mouth.

post-16499-13819322109774_thumb.jpg

Now when we angle them inward so that the tops are 2" apart (throat), the length of the horn is 17.5 inches from the mouth to the throat.

Now you never can tell what you can do with an old 2.5mHy inductor laying around can you.

jc

post-16499-13819322110714_thumb.jpg

Lookin' good JC, lookin' good. As I stated previously, the thickness of the driver mounting plate you decide on, will come off the throat end of the horn prior to mounting the driver plate.

I do not have the JBL 2482's yet. Jammin' Jersey has a pair. Supposed to be in great shape with the original Phenolics in them. $700.00 for the pair is slowing my progress just a bit. [;)]

You are absolutely right about that ajsons.

JC,

I have been thinking something along the lines of 500/5000 or so with the 2482/2404H. But, that was with the CornScala project and not a bass horn. I have not gotten that far yet. I will either have to design and build something myself or have someone else do it. I have to settle on the bass bin I am going to build first. I am leaning toward the Jubilee, but I am still very interested in Dana's V2 and one of his other designs. I have been on the fence regarding my bass horn for almost a year now. I need to make up my fricken mind and start makin' sawdust. Or, keep lookin' out for a couple Khorn bins to show up somewhere. But, that is'nt as much fun obviously.

Jealous is the word.  JC knows my interest here.  He sent me the templates for his horns and I'm drooling to figure out how to turn them into a reality.  I have the 2482's already, 3 of them in fact as I run a center mono channel that also employs one.  Looks like I'm in line for some shoulder surgery in the short run so I'll have to keep on drooling.  BTW I got 2 of my 2482's from Jammin Jersey.  I got the 3rd on ebay.  They're pricey at JJ and they don't do credit cards.  The 2482 does seem to come on ebay regularly and Jammin Jersey now carries new phenolic diaphragms for them at $150 each.  So you might get them at auction blown then rework them and be certain they're tops.