Listening to other forum members systems

MacKlipsch

kh,

The only thing I do not like about parallel feed is the cap in the signal path. But splitting the OPT into 2 separate transformers may be a good idea. Well, hearing is believing!

I am currently using a pair of Sylvania black plates (4 springs on top hold the filaments)with huge silver getters, circa late 1930's. The single plate 2A3 construction has a design flaw which makes them very fragile and somewhat undependable. Their sonic benefits IMHO do not justify their high costs. All of the SET tubies & designers I have spoke to say that good double plates sound undistinguishable from single plates. Save your money. Also, they say the old American made 2A3's generally sound better than any new versions from the EU, Russia & China. The Sovtek 2A3 is a great "bang for the buck", though. I have about 30 old American-made 2A3's that I can roll when I have some time on my hands.

Attached, is a pair of NOS parallel plate Raytheon 2A3's. Looks like a single plate but with 2 parallel plates. Will roll them into the amps one day. Any experience with these parallel plates?

One noticable change was rolling rectifier tubes..substituted a Mullard GZ34 for a 5V4. The sound became a little quicker and apparently a little more dynamic.

Haven't rolled driver tubes yet. Have a NOS pair of Sylvania JAN (VT-231?) 6SL7 (chrome tops).

IMHO, the 45 is beautiful sounding midrange tube but lacks sufficient bass response for me. It would be perfect for using in a bi-amp set-up, using it for the top-end. IMHO, the 2A3 is a more balanced tube and the "Mother of High Fidelity".

Hope you don't mind the rambling,

Pete

This message has been edited by Triode Pete on 02-07-2002 at 01:47 PM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic