Better reciever?

Joe Hedstrom

THE DENON 5800

I had the Integra DTR9.1( a glorified Onkyo 989)and while it is a great reciever(one of the very best)the BIG Denon 5800 took its place.

Now I am in the process of auditioning the awesome Pioneer VSX-49TX heavyweight.Its is unlike any Pioneer reciever you ever heard or saw.A real beast and a serious contender for best reciever.

The Marantz SR14 is another great reciever,lets not forget the new B&K reciever!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

What features made the denon your choice of recievers? I need to know this becuase some feature i might not care about may have influenced your choice. I'm trying to make a well researched choice about this considering that this is probally one of the most important parts of the home theater.

Yeah Ears, the Pioneer VSX-49tx is awesome. It has a mike that you place in the listening position that automatically adjusts delays, levels, and does a 9-band equalization of all speakers. (I'm more of a do-it-yourselfer but still a cool feature). One very cool thing it does, and I know of no other receiver that does this, is converts all incoming video signals to Component Video! This means you can hook up your VCR with composite, Satellite with S-Video, and DVD with component, and so on, and only have one set of component cables from the monitor out. Even the onscreen display works through component!!! Don't know if it improves video quality but it is much more convenient. I've pretty much decided to pick one up, when I'm able. It also has THX Ultra 2. What that is is you can watch a 5.1 movie in 7.1 mode and get true seperation. Usually if you have a Mono sound from the surround channels in 5.1, the surround backs will work, but ALL the sound comes from them and none from the regular surround channels. The Denon is cool though, especially if you want to do Multi-Room. I don't think you would be unsatisfied with it. I've never heard or had experience with the Onkyo/Integra, so I can't comment. That might not help you, Joe but I just perk up when I see someone giving Pioneer Credit for being the great electronics that they are.

Joe,

No problem I live on this BB! My choice was easy because of a few things the 5800 did better.

The 5800 has a better amplifier section(more power and better quality)to me anyway.

Better built quality,even if the DTR9.1 has great built quality.

More inputs and outputs(you can connect more,a larger AV system can be built around the 5800)

I like the remote control much better then what came at the time with the DTR9.1(now Onkyo/Integra has far better remotes...even the DTR8.2 has a nice remore...a la Denon 4800)

The sound of both is about ...errr damn close.Botha are feature packed.And the 5800 costs less in Canada

then the DTR9.1!?

And last I prefer Denon as a brand as opposed to Onkyo(Integra),have a old Denon CD player(built like a tank 50lbs and still works like a charm and still sounds quite good even when compared to high-end Sony SACD and High-End Pioneer DVD/SACD!

So that is about it,plus I love the physical aspect of the 5800,it looks like it will break the AV rack! LOL

Tod,

Right,the Pioneer 49 is a killa reciever.Its feature packed and matches the quality of the awesome 5800!!Now we are talking.The 49 may very well end in my system...I will still keep the 5800 and 3802.Both are great recievers...hey even one for the bathroom! LOL

Oh yeah today I saw a gorgeous Krell multichannel amp goes for aboyt 12 grand in Canada!I want this beast,me want me want.I think my floor may cave in and all my amps and recievers will bring the house down.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yep, The denon is better build.

The construction of the onkyo forces them to use a fan which can be noisy. (Every fan is noisy)

The design of the denon is better to cool the heatsinks at each side of the denon. The fan's inside them never run's. Any comment from TheEAR ??

If I 'm willing to spend the money, my onkyo 676 is send to the bathroom. Smile.gif

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

Mike,

Yes I have several systems!My top system is MUSIC ONLY

and no fake sounding,movie will EVER touch it.

My music ONLY system...

Sony SCD1 SACD player

Audio Research LS25 preamp

Krell FPB600 power amp(bring on any competition Wink.gif )

Spendor FL10 speakers(Spendors are so natural)

Monster Sigma speaker wire and interconects

SolidSteel audiorack

Notice NO sub in this system as NO sub is refined to the point of doing justice here.

My main HT is...

Pioneer DVAX10 DVD/SACD player(he this thing IS THE DVD player)

Denon 5800 reciever(as pre/pro)

Celeste 4250SE(driving mains)

Celeste 4150SE(driving sourrounds)

Celeste 4070(driving the center,bridged mono)

Dynaudio Contour 3.3 mains,Contour Center(err center)and Contour 1.1's as sourrounds Smile.gif

Aerial SW12,Revel B15 and Velo HGS18 subs(WHAM want sub bass?now its there and its real)

UltraLink and AudioQuest speaker cables and interconects

this is the core of the system...

Second HT system...

Sony DVP9000ES DVD/SACD player(great buy)

Denon 3801(used as pre/pro...a bit noisy Frown.gif )

ATI 1505 power amp(doing nothing right now LOL)

ATI 2505 power amp

Klipsch RF-7's,RC7 center,RF-5's as sourrounds and spare RB-5's(will be used later when I upgrade the 3802 to a Pioneer 49)

Sunfire Sig,Mark II,Junior,Carver Knight Shadow subs(the sunflowers of doom LOL)

Audio section of system,the main HT has a SONY 36" XBR2 TV and the second a super outdated Toshiba Cinema Series 27"(woohoo).Need a TV upgrade.

And not speaking about my PC sound systems,one Klipsch and the two others from VideoLogic. Smile.gif

I swap pieces almost every damn week!Its my kick.

USpark,

The 5800 and 3801 fans never turn(well I dont hear them)!Also notive I dont use these recievers to drive my speakers,only as pre/pros.I used the 5800 to drive the Dynes and the fans did turn,the SPL is so great it will mask any minor fan noise.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

A college at work has the nautilus 803 hooked up to the denon 5800(europe version) and the fan's never turn on he said.

Hey TheEAR, don't you have a problem not using the amps in the 5800. You paid for them so ... .

Maybe you can do bi-amping. Use the amps of the 5800 for the highs and the other amps for the lows.Smile.gif

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

EAR,

The Onkyo Integra 9.1 is far superior to the Denon 5800.. Longer warranty, 12 volt triggers(lights,screen,etc...), It will pass HD signal, Way better remote!!!, EASY TO USE...

LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!

I personally would never own or own up to a brand that is on walmart.com(DENON)

And the 9.1 has a wider bandwidth to pass HD signal WHICH WILL be important down the road which the Denon that is made in KOREA will not do.

Guys, please do your homework before you go buy a high ticket item because it looks like it could "break the rack" what a real reason to buy..!!!!???...

GOOD LUCK

------------------

NO EQ'S ALLOWED

You can only buy the older, cheaper models at walmart.com.

Also, also the higher Denon models, 2802 and up, are all made in Japan.

Also, the original question was about the sound quality, not about it's ability to pass a HD signal. But you can't really argue about sound since it's all personal taste.

------------------

Paul

This message has been edited by oogins on 12-09-2001 at 07:29 PM