Has anyone listen to both THX Ultra 2 and klipsch rf 83 package

Skistud07

I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to listen to both the THX ultra 2 7.1 system, and the rf 83 5.1 system, and be able to compare them. I have listened to the thx system, but no one around here has any rf 83's or even rf 63's, only rf 82's. I have the budget to get either system. Was wondering any opinions/recommendations on the two considering they're mostly for movies. I have a 16x22 great room with 10 foot ceilings, and no wall in the back(kitchen). Keep in mind I'm coming from a htib, and stepping up quite a bit, so I'm kind of a newb. How is the new triangular sub by the way, I loved the thx subs, so i could use those with the rf 83 system. Anyways, A.D.D. getting the best of me, I appreciate any opinions/recommendations.

The 82's are a great speaker, but the two are not in the same ball park.The 63's are alot closer in performance but I have never heard them. The 83's just flat out rock with tons of deep extended bass, nice smooth mids and very delicate highs,Pianos sound like pianos and cymbal crashes are so crisp and the wack of the drumstick hitting the skin of a big tom tom is just insane. You need big boxes for big sound, its that simple.Just remember that the 83's are huge, 50" tall, very deep and heavy, 100lbs each!! The 82's look dwarfed when side by side. If its in your budget its the 83's for sure.

Just MHO.

The video place by my house has both systems and I have auditioned both. Imo I would go with the 83s. THX is nice but the set up they have has all top end amps etc.(65000 worth of equip). I like the sound but they dont recommend THX for listening to music, which seems odd since most movies have soundtracks. Soundtracks which are music???? Doesnt make sense to me. The 83s are friggin awesome. I have the 82s and I love them. But, atleast once a month I am at the store listening to the 83s which I plan on upgrading to just as soon as money is available. Go with the 83s and a good amp to drive them and you will never question the decision you have made. And, Jet Jockey was right....the 82s and 83s are worlds apart. But, my 82s do the job very well till I can make the upgrade.

I can tell you that the RF-83's are great. I have the RF-83 package minus the sub and this rocks everyting out, from movies to music. I first started with an Outlaw 950 and 7100, I just purchased the Outlaw 750 to replace the 7100. A big difference between the two, 7100 rated at 100 wpc and 750 rated at 165 wpc. I haven't heard the THX system but the RF-83 should do you very good.

Do you plan on having this system just for movies?

James

I think it will be mostly for movies. We listen to music, but not for hours on end, too busy most of the time. Now I have another question. Someone said to get an good amp for the 83's. I'm taking a wild guess that this amp will power only the 83's, but again, I am new, and will probably enlist the help of a professional when it comes time to do everything since it's a new home, and I'm putting all of the electronics in a closet that's vented. I asked in a previous post which receiver I should be looking at, now I guess I'll ask what amp I should be looking at, and around how much I should be spending on it. Thanks for the crash course, I'm trying to learn.

What kind of price are you thinking about for the amp?

You can get an amp that runs all your speakers or you can get multiple amps to run your system. I currently have a single amp, Outlaw 750, that runs my setup.

Then the next question for you is. Do you want to buy new or used?

I know a lot of questions going on here but it was the same thing for me. Just last year I didn't have any of the current items that I have, and I have already switched out my amp for a different one. This is an addiction with no know cure other then upgrading.

James

I'm not sure how many amps I will use. I was just going to use one receiver, around 140 watts per channel or so, until I saw a post that said I should use an amp. How many amps should I be using? I don't want to spend a fortune, I figured around 1000, to 1500 on a receiver, but I'm not sure what a decent amp even costs. How many amps would you guys recommend for powering 2 rf 83's, an rc 64, and two rs 62's. The subs will be the 2 thx subs with their own amp. Thanks.

THX- every day- imho. I have heard the entire package properly installed. It is magnificent.

The lack of defined space and back wall will be problematic to installation of either system. For the 6/7 channel system to operate properly, you must have two monopole (directional or bookshelf type) speakers centered on the back wall, placed together (yes together) about six feet high.

Also any of the bi/di pole Surround type speakers will depend somewhat on sounds emanating from them and reflecting off of a back wall.

Without a rear wall and defined space I'd just install a 5 channel system and get better components. The THX system will still work well for you. I you have side walls, I highly recommend the 'S' type surround speakers hung at or slightly behind listening postion about 2-3 feet above head height. This assumes you have side walls and not windows or openings to dining rooms....

I have never heard the Ultra 2 system, but I do have the RF-83 and a set of RF-82 for rears. There is large diference in sound between the two. I did a side by side compares to see if the RF-83 were worth the extra cash. They are. The RF-83 are a more refind sound. The RF-82 are a good buy for the money less than half the cost of the 83s. Also have the RC-64 and Velodyne DLS-5000 and DD-15 for the subs.

Skistud, Hi again, a good capable Receiver (with pre-outs for use as a pre/pro if you get an amp) is all you need right off the bat. Any receiver around $800 and up should have these and have plenty of power initially. Some popular brands here are Harmon/Kardon(much understated power), Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer Elite. I run the 83's with a Yammy rated at 130 wpc which is more likely closer to 55wpc and sounds awesome. However, I am currently waiting for my new Emotiva MPS-1 to arrive (200wpc for real x 5channels) and it is a bargain and extremely well rated, I' ll let you all know.

I have never heard the Ultra 2 system, but I do have the RF-83 and a set of RF-82 for rears. There is large diference in sound between the two. I did a side by side compares to see if the RF-83 were worth the extra cash. They are. The RF-83 are a more refind sound. The RF-82 are a good buy for the money less than half the cost of the 83s. Also have the RC-64 and Velodyne DLS-5000 and DD-15 for the subs.

Ive actually thought about using my 82s for my surrounds once I get the 83s. How's this working for you?

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll start with a good receiver, around 130 wpc or more, and worry about anything else later. I think I've decided to go with the rf 83's, rc 64, rs 62's for surrounds, and the thx subs. How much does that emotiva receiver run by the way? I'm guessing my $1500 budget may be too low for it, i suppose it depends on how much I can talk the wife up to. I'll have many more questions, thanks for the responses.

I hate to "Thread Jack" here, but could you please give a lil more detail as to how you tested the 82 vs the 83. Im in the process of selecting new mains and at this current time I have an Onkyo 804 to run them with. I heard the 82's just today, and was impressed. I'll have to travel 30 miles (one way) to here 83's this weekend. I'm just trying to figure out if I'll be happy with the 82, and, or if the 83's would be too much for me, and my lil AVR amp right now. TIA.

If you plan on listening to movies for most of the time, I would go with the THX Ultra system, especially with those two subs. The RF-83's definitley rock, but the THX system was designed with movies specifically in mind. I think if Klipsh really felt that the RF-83 system could take the place of the THX system, they would have stopped making the THX system with the -83's introduction. Just my 2 cents.........

Xdetroitx: The RF-82 work realy well for rears. I perfer floor standing speakers in the rear as long as you have room for them. With true HD sound comming on high def movies you will want large rears speakers. Ndskyz- I had the RF-83 for main then bought the RF-82 for the rears. I did I side by side test of the 83s and 82s in my home. I used the A-B switch on my receiver to switch back and forth. Listen to some music and few movies clips. The 82 are good speaker but I perfer sound of the 83 better.