Crites tweeters?

gonzp

It seems to me that the APT 200 needs a 90 degree rotation. I know the klipsch/EV is oriented correctly. I don't know about the Beyma.

I've been trying to settle on a tweeter for several months. This set up allows me to switch between tweeters with the throw of a switch. The three shown are the K-77M, the Eminence APT 200 (same driver as the Crites tweeter), and the Beyma CP 25. Without going into a lot of detail, I think that the Beyma will be the "one" that I stick with. I still think that the improvement moving from the K401 to the 511B (or ALK Trachorns) far exceeds the improvement that a tweeter change can provide.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the APT 200 needs a 90 degree rotation. I know the klipsch/EV is oriented correctly. I don't know about the Beyma.

I've been trying to settle on a tweeter for several months. This set up allows me to switch between tweeters with the throw of a switch. The three shown are the K-77M, the Eminence APT 200 (same driver as the Crites tweeter), and the Beyma CP 25. Without going into a lot of detail, I think that the Beyma will be the "one" that I stick with. I still think that the improvement moving from the K401 to the 511B (or ALK Trachorns) far exceeds the improvement that a tweeter change can provide.

I'm afraid that I would have to respectfully disagree. From what I understand, the APT 200 is just not as dependent as the other two baby cheeks designs (JBL, Beyma) concerning its orientation. Therefore, rotating it 90 degrees might help nominally, but not much. The Beyma was oriented correctly.

Then again, what do I know? I've dropped the concept of tweeters in front ever since I went to Altec 902 drivers. And, JBL 2404s are now sitting on top of my Belles in back.

I do still have and appreciate Eminence tweeters in some other parts of my 7.1 Heritage though.

Carl.

P.S. Reading this thread reminds me that Coytee sent Lisa his 2404s. Does anyone remember if she liked them or not?

Interesting, well I believe the APT200 is simply a CD horn, just like a baby version of my 811b. I tried the tweeter in that orientation and the imaging was not useable. Hey, I have a 902 also! I am currently trying to integrate a tweeter, but may go back to 2way. How do you find the HF extension on your 902?

My thread on the Altec is here:

Altec 9844B-8

Interesting, well I believe the APT200 is simply a CD horn, just like a baby version of my 811b. I tried the tweeter in that orientation and the imaging was not useable. Hey, I have a 902 also! I am currently trying to integrate a tweeter, but may go back to 2way. How do you find the HF extension on your 902?

My thread on the Altec is here:

Altec 9844B-8

I purchased a new pair of 902s from Great Plains and when I tried them with Al Klappenberger's Trachorns, that's what convinced me to go back to two ways for my front Klipschorns. I've had big Altecs in the past and was never quite satisfied with the top end, without adding tweeters (811s, 511s), but that was using 800 series drivers. The 902s seem to hit all the highs that I need up front. Although honestly, since I've inserted them, I really need to follow Zilch's advice and fire up my Behringer UltraCurve Pro like you did and dial everything in. They have just sounded so good on a Sonic Impact Super T amp (on on the 902s) that I have not really needed to fire up the Behringer, plus we've been in the middle of a house remodel.

To make matters more interesting, I've now inserted JBL 2118 drivers (8 inch) to cover some mid bass duties so I guess that I am officially back to three ways, although the tweeters are no more. In fact, I am now running JBL 2404s in the rear with my Belles and prefer the sound up front. Looks like you are doing good work.

Carl. .

Carl, your setup sounds wild, let me know if there's a link somewhere to pics of your setup. Very interesting on the JBL mid; I've never heard a Klipshchorn, so I really don't know what those mids are like. But one thing's for sure, the mids are where it's at. I've heard reports those T-Amps are nice. I was considering one to drive the 902s at one point -- biamp option. But I'm pretty sure I will follow through on the passive crossove since in the future I will probably use it with a small tube amp.

After you finish your house remodelling, please post your RTA, I'm interested in seeing what that looks like.

Best wishes,

Vin

Vin, thanks for the kind words. Enclosed is an older thread containing pics of my setup. Since those photos, the two audio racks now sit next to each other, and a large plasma now sits on top of the center Belle. The second thread contains pictures of my latest experiment, although there are plans to put the 8 inch mid-bass drivers in a new MDF enclosure as soon as I get time.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/86331/869521.aspx#869521

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/99477/1005562.aspx#1005562

Carl.