My new Cornwall with the K53-K

lorcoll

Finally I have found a good pair of 1984's Corns in Italy at a good price for my Country (euros 1,200.00).

I have seen that the components inside are: K33-E, K53-K with plastic horn, the square K77-M and the B3 network; the back panel is removable.

The tag reports: CBLS (CBL) serial 8445449. The grilles have a gold color.

Now my question to the experts is: must I change the squawker with the K55-M and metal horn or is preferable what I have?

What the best amp for these speakers?

SET 2A3, 300B or PP?

Many thanks.

Lorenzo.

Lorenzo,

Are you sure those are K-53s?  They did a lot of mixing and matching of parts in the last of the Cornwall Is, but normally the K-53 is only on the Heresy not the Cornwall.  I would think yours should have K-52s.  Do your drivers screw on to the horn, or are they bolted on?

Bob

Yeah, the K55 is better suited for the K400/K401 horns found in La Scala's and Khorns, but in this case, there is no real improvement going from K53's, or K52's over to the K55 in the 600hz Cornwall horn. I think the K55 has a larger diaphragm, which helps it dig a little lower and is a better match to the 400hz horn. The K55 was also well suited for the Cornwall, but the K53's,52's are not necessarily suited up well for the K400/401. Clear as mud? You have Cornwall 1.5's and I do too. Mine are 83 year model's with B-3's, K52H's (Now K52K's) on a threaded aluminum k600 horn and K77M's (changed to alnico K77's with new diaphragms. During this period, there were several different combinations, thus the adopted street name Cornwall 1.5's.

BS

Lorenzo,

Like I said, it gets sort of difficult to figure what is going on in the last of the Cornwall 1s.  But the K-53-K should be the Heresy II driver and horn combination.  That would be the smaller plastic bolt on 700 hz horn.  Now, you should hopefully have the right 600 hz horn and I think the driver is the same as the bolt on driver for the Heresy II, the K-53-K.  I think yours may have been changed to the K-53s at some time on the correct horn, but Klipsch may have done that to start with.

Anyway, there is not a bolt on version of the K-55, so you would need the screw on K-600 horn for that.

Bob

I have K52's on K601's with B2 networks. It was one of the many bizarre CW1.5 combinations. I've never heard of a K53 being used in there. I can post a picture of the K57 assembly (the K52 driver and K601 horn) if you'd like.

There seems to be no definitive word on what went into a CW during that changeover period.

The K52 is a 1.5" voice coil so might go higher that the K55. Bob has published the charts and they're all so similar that it probably makes no difference at all. I would not swap with driver without swapping the crossover however.

Lorenzo,

If you decide to use the K-55, you will need to find a pair of the screw on K-600 horns.  Those are getting real hard to find.  You would also perhaps want to go back ot a B-2 or B crossover to match the K-55 better.

Bob

Lorenzo,

I don't think the K-55M was ever used in the Cornwall.  It is however very close in performance to the K-51V that was used in the Cornwall with the B-2.

You can look at the thread below to compare those.  What you have now should be like the K-52H tested there.

You would have to modify all three sections of the B-3 to make a B-2.  Lots of differences.

Actually I think what you already have should sound very good.  You might want to think about first just getting new caps in the B-3 to give it a fair listen.

Bob

Ok.

I'll stay with this combination for now but I know the sound of the K55 and I think the K53 sounds a bit different (at the first impression the male and female voices seem less deep - with less body - on the K53).

In what horn did you hear the K55? In what horn did you hear the K53? It's likely not the driver, at all. It's the horn...

BS