Tube Rolling the Horn Monos

Tarheel

WPM....asking for your always excellent advice....what tubes did you settle on for your Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos....I am still doing the KT-77s I got from Doug's Tubes with no complaints but willing to learn from someone who has been there. Should I try KT-88s or would I be giving away that midrange sweetness for a little extra bass? Bluesboy came over this afternoon and we listened to Mark Knopfller's Ragpickers Dream and everything sounded just fine.

How is the novel going? Have you started your second system yet? Getting ready to watch Carolina play Boston College tonight. Go Heels!

Chuck

I don't have the horn mono's but have the mini-monos. I tried a set of KT88's but lost the midrange, although the other ends were improved. I think Mike Sanders got it right with the 34's. If I had a set of speakers that needed more top end, I might be tempted to run the 88's again but I just think the 34's are pure sweetness.

Thanx, Russ

Chuck,

Try some fat bottle 6CA7's. They are very cost effective and will give you better low end than KT-77s but retain the sweet midrange that you've become accustomed to. This is a good trade-off tube in my experience. At $59 for a matched 5 tube sleeve, you can't go wrong.

I switch it up between EH 6CA7s and Tung Sol 6550s in my amp. I like them both a lot.

Russ69, Smilin, and Spongeworthy......thanks for the suggestions...just as I thought...the 88s are not the tube. What a deal on the 5 tube sleeve...how could I go wrong with that. Keith....we have got to get together again soon..there is another Carolina boy building 7 La Scalas and doing a bang up job and Bluesboy is still at it. There is someone else on the forum at Wrightsville Beach about 3 miles from me and who knows how many more. How does the new Peach sound?

Got to get back to the Carolina, Boston College game. Thanks guys for the reply.

Chuck

I have the Horn Monos driving my 1976 Heresy pair. Just a few
nights ago I replaced the stock Ei 12DW7s with a newly acquired pair of
Telefunken 7247s. I'm currently using Sovtek 6550s as
well. The Teles made a HUGE difference in soundstage and
definition. I am anxious to try other power tubes as
well. However, I believe that a noticable difference can be
achieved by replacing the stock Eis with higher quality tubes.

Stringmun1

Stringmun 1.....thanks for your reply. I asked this same question about a year ago and someone else suggested I might get bigger bang for the buck by replacing the 12DW7s. It was suggested I look for some nos from the 50s or 60s but I was only able to find some Phillips tubes from the 80s. I didn't notice a big difference though I may not have the right tubes yet. I replaced the stock EL-34s with some KT-77s after talking with Doug at Doug's tubes and noticed a slight improvement in the bass while keeping the same sweet midrange. Since then I have a new pair of hybrid La Scalas with some ALK Engineering xovers that he designed for the 511/902 combination. I now have incredible bass in a speaker that many think is bass shy. Some of the bass improvement can be attributed to the 1" mdf I used for the bass bins.

I think WPM uses 6550s after trying several different tubes and he was sold on those but I haven't been able to talk with him lately to see what he is running.

Anyway...let me know if you find anything really magical for the Quicksilvers.

Chuck

WPM....asking for your always excellent advice....what tubes did you settle on for your Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos....I am still doing the KT-77s I got from Doug's Tubes with no complaints but willing to learn from someone who has been there. Should I try KT-88s or would I be giving away that midrange sweetness for a little extra bass? Bluesboy came over this afternoon and we listened to Mark Knopfller's Ragpickers Dream and everything sounded just fine.

How is the novel going? Have you started your second system yet? Getting ready to watch Carolina play Boston College tonight. Go Heels!

Chuck

Hi Chuck,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Apologizes for not answering sooner, I've been busy as a bee. At the moment I am running a pair of Svetlana 6550Cs in the HMs, and they are acquitting themselves very nicely indeed. They offer a bit more energy and dynamic contrast over the Tesla EL-34s, but have yet to match that tubes beautiful mid-range liquidity and smoothness. Mind you, 6550s need a fair amount of breaking in, so I don't want to be to critical until they have completely fleshed out. I am very familiar with 6550s, so I know in the end the Svet's are going to smooth out nicely and still retain their dynamic capabilities. Please note, I am using the New Sensor Svetlana 6550Cs, not the SED 6550Cs. There is a difference, and some prefer one over the other. Just thought I'd make mention.

Regarding KT-88s, I'm afraid I have never been a big fan of this tube. I find them to be overblown and lacking in subtleties, though some will vehemently argue these points. I am not saying they are bad tubes, just that I do not care for them. Ultimately, if you are after smoothness and liquidity, I'd say stay in the EL-34 camp and experiment with different types there. On the other hand, if you are after a more robust, yet somewhat refined sound, try a few 6550 types. I think you'll be surprised.

As always, one must experiment and make the determination for themselves.

William

William....good to hear from you and no apology needed. The advice we give and recieve here is most often free and at the same time invaluable regardless of the wait. I have learned so much in the last two years from forum members.

I see no urgent need to change anything in my system though I have a feeling that I may be becoming an equipment junkie....I can peruse the classifieds on Audiogon for hours on end. Right now I am considering a tubed Harmon Kardon reciever from the early 60s that is in mint condition. Why? Other than the fact that I like vintage tube gear and that it may actually be in mint condition no other explanation is forthcoming.

Anyway...good to chat with you and thanks for the advice

Chuck