Oppo DV-981HD review

wuzzzer

I've had my Oppo DVD player now for a couple weeks, about a few days shorter than I've had my new TV. The model I have (DV-981HD) is an HDMI-only output, so in case anyone thinks they like the sound of my review make sure your TV has either an HDMI or DVI input that is HDCP compatible. It does not have any component outputs.

One double-edged sword about the DVD player is that there are SO MANY options you can change around. Its a good thing because it allows for quite a bit of customization, but it can also drive you crazy trying to get everything dialed in just right. I've decided to leave most everything at the factory default settings and use the adjustments on my TV as far as color, brightness, etc., instead.

I'm listening to The Wall on CD right now and it sounds excellent. I haven't done a worthy A/B comparison between the Oppo and my Cambridge Audio CD player however.

You can select upconversion anywhere from 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. I've found that on every disc I've watched 1080p looks the best. This is probably due to the 1080p native resolution on my TV. Older DVDs looks ok, but newer ones look fantastic. Star Wars III totally blew me away.

The player is very thin allowing for installation in almost any place you could want it. The blue front panel display lights are cool and match my HK receiver nicely. The front panel lights can be turned on or off through the player's menu.

I was able to pick up a refurbished player for $183 plus shipping directly from Oppo. In my opinion it is an incredible value for the money.

The oppo's are a great buy for video,but the sacd for sure,and even dvda aren't too hot.The speaker set up is rather odd also,you don't set distance,you set the difference between speakers,and the test tone for level adjust?