How musical are the KSWs?

oogins

As most of you know I have been doing a lot of looking around for a good sub to go with my quintets. I want something that is small, musical and can play higher frequencies. All the recommendations I got were fairly expensive and they were also difficult to get.

So I'm looking at the KSW's again. They are both cheap and readily available in my area. And because they are so cheap, I'll most likely get two.

So Im wondering what people think about the 10 and 12 inch subs. Are they musical? Do either of them have any punch, do they just go boom? Also, what do you suggest I should get, 2 10s, 2 12s, or a 10 and a 12?

oogins, i would not call the KSW's musical. I had a KWS-12 and found it tended to be boomy and very sensitive in room placement. It's not a bad sub, and might be worth it if you can get it for say $200-250 (USD). If your going to spend that kind of cash...a SVS 20-39 might be a better deal and much more musical. Then only problem is that it is rather large.

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

The KSW subs are as musical as...err 12" gunns on a battleship.BOUM BOUM and BOUM 30Hz and over.

Like DrPyro said if you get one very cheap its a good sub(I use the KSW12 and 15 for my PC sound system!),at full retail its no revolution in subs.SVS is articulated and has serious definition down low.Plus output to make many competitors worry.

While no high tech marvel the SVS does its job,damn well thank you.The design is great and money is put where money does add to actual performance.Plus you can select the amp YOU want!I like this

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I just auditioned the KSWs today, and they aren't musical at all but they are cheap. $299 for the 10 and $399 for the 12. Not bad for the price.

I also heard the RSW-10. Very nice but way out of my price range. They were $1349.

I think I'll take another look at the SVS 25-31.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a KSW-10, and I love it when listening to MP3's, cd's, or even the radio. I must say that I was pretty impressed with it, I was expecting much less, but Klipsch proved me wrong. The bass outta the 10 is plenty enough for me and my living room, and it reminds me alot of my Eclipse 12" sub and 400 watt Eclipse amp in my car, that's a dam good thing.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Klipsch Quintets (On order)

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player