Bookshelf speakers

MilesSpathelf

I'm looking at getting some nice bookshelf speakers for a 2 channel system. I loved the rb-5's, but I just wanted to here about some other possibilities to try out before I buy. I've heard good things about some of the paradigms, but I haven't had a chance to listne yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Miles

I bought RB5s about six months ago. I have been in audio a long time and have had lots of speakers, the RB5s are my favorite by far. Some of the things that I considered when I was deciding were that the RB5s are crossed over a little lower than the the other reference line speakers so the compression driver is doing a bit more work and that is why I buy Klipsch - for the compression driver dynamics and drive. The RB5s are real wood veneer and at the time were made at the Hope factory. Your lucky now you can choose from several flavors of veneer now. Several months ago I remember Bob G. stating that the RB5 crossover was of a higher quality than the RF3s. The RB5s are truly a high performance loudspeaker that loves to be played loud and clear. The RB5s are amazing pieces of audio engineering and they're made in the United States by American workers and I am proud to spend my money at home these days.

BB

This message has been edited by Big Bean on 12-08-2001 at 12:05 AM

I agree, the klipsch RB5's out-do everyting else a regular person could buy in a bookshelfe. Howerver, I do disagree that its better the then the RF3's, I was at the dealer today, having lots of fun with both of them. Towers had more bass. Other then that, if I wanted small, RB5's are a kick *** speaker.

------------------

Matthew

The RB5s are a sweet little speaker well suited to a wide variety of applications, now and in the future. They are certainly worth building a good, even a great 2-channel system around, and they are definitely on my short list of Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I would build a 6-channel system around. Don't be afraid to match them with some quality amplification

cwm38.gif

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing! (system at http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/2301.html)

I bought RB5IIs about 2 months ago ( along with RC3II center, RS3II surrounds & KSW12 sub). I use the set up about 50/50 for HT/Music. They're hooked up to a Denon 3802. I listen to music alot in the DPLII mode. Occaisionally I listen to music in the 2 channel stereo mode for a change of pace. Those RB5s sing. I can't stop smiling when I listen to them. They're great for all types of music - rock, jazz, blues, country, classical - you name it. The imaging is great. Vocals sound like the singer is right in front of you. I don't know how many times (when listening in stereo) I've put my ear next to the center channel just to be sure the sound wasn't coming from it. I highly recommend the RB5.Cool.gif

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 12-09-2001 at 07:49 PM

I really think the term bookshelf speakers does not do the RB5s justice. Perhaps "mini monitor" or "cookin' shelf" speaker would be a more respectful designation.

I like the chance to tweak stands for the first time. I have never had a smaller high output speaker before, the non resonant stand is important to get the most out of them. I have the Sanus Steel 24 inch stands with 20 lbs of lead shot per stand. Even at high volumes the stands vibrate just a minimal amount.

I could add sand to take up some of the airspace in the vertical columns; but it probably would have little effect and be a bit of a mess in the family room.

I started out using the RB5s with a Kenwood HT receiver after demoing them with Rotel separates at the store. I now have Newcastle separates which are a dramatic improvement over the HT receiver.

Never underestimate the effect of high quality power with the RB5s!

Miles

Agree with everyone above. I have the SB-3's in a HT setup and am going to upgrade to the RB-5's soon. Alternatives that you consider depend on your budget...

I recently spent about $300 on B&W DM303's for a two channel system in our study and have been quite pleased. I think that the RB-5's would sound better in a heads-in comparison but they are also more expensive. So if price is a consideration, look at these. I had liked paradigm atoms/titans in this price range but think that the B&W's are better. Actually, I like my SB-3's better than the Titans as well.

$600 and up, the B&W DM600 series are good....you may want to compare this to the Klipsch. I listened to Sonus Faber and have liked these as well. Speakers that I have also heard good things about are Monitor Audio and Energy.

Bottom line, you will love the RB-5's. Narrow down your choices based on your budget (and availability) and bring your own music and you will find that the RB-5's sound great next to most other speakers