looking for a stereo amplifier, <$500, any recommendations?

Erukian

I'm demoing the Parasound HCA-1000A right now, i notice a lot more instrumental seperation, a lot more spaciousness and a lot more stereo seperation over my teac tripath, but the highs are very solid state like, they give me a headache! the mids arent as smooth as the teac but i think they're more realistic now. my low sensitive speakers love the extra wattage and that really shows with the bass control now. Overall it's definitely an upgrade in most regards.

The seller also raised the price from $220 to $280, is this still worth it? my budget is $500 so that leaves about $220 for a pre. Assuming i kept this amp, what pre's would you guys recommend? I'm still open to other amplifier options, i haven't committed yet to the Parasound.

Thanks,

Joe

I has the same problem a couple of years ago. I purchased a (new) Marantz PM7200; integrated amplifier, (no tuner), 95 watts per channel in class AB operation, for $625 Cdn (plus taxes). This amplifier has phono input, which I needed, and is getting hard to find, especially in the home theatre systems. The good news is that when I later purchased my Klipsch (efficient) speakers, I was able to switch the amplifier to class A operation (25 watts per channel). The speaker switch allows me to switch from my Cornwall speakers to my La Scala speakers. Now the bad news, the amplifier has been replaced with a new model which is class AB only. You might still be able to find one.