Weird speaker noise

krusty46

Sorry to post this question again--I tried the HT thread first (more people read it).

I just bought new KLF 10's to replace my old speakers, but I'm still hearing this annoying noise from time to time.

I can only describe it as a clicking noise or the noise Anthony Hopkins made in his famous "fava beans" line from Silence of the Lambs"

Problem is, I'm also noticing it in my car speakers and computer speakers. This all started in the past month or so. I was thinking interference from something, but what? and why in the house AND in the car?? Everytinhg worked fine for years, why am I suddenly having this problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would imagine the government is tapping your phones. That clipping sound is rolling over into your other electronics and should be a wake up call.

The new wire tapping laws were put in place to watch suspected terrorists since the 9/11/01 incident. What country are you from?? When does your student visa run out ...not that it matters. Which do you own ...7-11 or cumberland farms?

Consider this your warning !cwm13.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 12-09-2001 at 05:04 PM

Can you tell use some more.

I don't quite get the vaba beans.

Does it sound like distorted speach? If so, it could be a local radio station causing radio frequency interference.

Is it just clicking and if so is it always the same pattern? Electronic appliances can cause a clicking noise on start up. Could be the furnace, refrigerator, or the like.

Has anything changed with your system lately, new amp, change of wiring, etc?

Any of that sort of information can help.

Gil

if it's in the house & the car would think it's coming thru the air as in radio (rf) interference, radiation or the government cwm1.gif

can u isolate it to certain times or places? does it happen just on the car radio & what happens when u drive about 100 miles away? if there are some radio or transmission towers/stations nearby u may want to call their engineers & see if they've had similar complaints. i was getting the classical music station

on my telephone lines until I called & they put some filters in my home. was kinda nice background music while talkin on the phone but the commercials were 2much. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

The sound is kinda like "ft, ft, ft"

Always 3 of them. I never heard it the 1st year I lived in the house. This all just started in the past 3 months. Started noticing it in both the house and the car at about the same time.

I upgraded the speakers in the house to KLF-10's and I'm hearing it on the new speakers now too--I am about to upgrade my Monster XP cables to MIT Terminator 2's in hopes of "insulating out" the interference.

I thought it might be a new cell phone, but have never heard of anything like this happening. I have owned cell phones in the past without a problem.

If it is the cell phone, any ideas on how to stop it without tossing the phone??

krusty, don't know what u have, but u could try just hooking up only the dvdp w/ just a digital optical interconnect. w/ enough external noise, shielding in coax interconnects could actually be the problem picking it up like a big antenna.

if it still does it then your receiver could actually be picking it up. if it's emi, i don't know but maybe speaker magnets can actually pick that up thru the air. just kinda taking stabs here Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-11-2001 at 01:23 AM

I'm thinking it is some sort of rfi / emi.

Are you saying you hear it on the car system while the car is near the house, but not when you drive away some distance away?

I think you're saying that the interference occurs on several systems. The one in the living room, and the one in the car. Perhaps a Walkman too?

Are you saying it occurs with and without the cell phone being near any of the systems.

Gil

You don't happen to have a Nextel or be near a Nextel repeater or something? My i1000 always makes strange noises on any speaker i'm near - similar to the sound you describe.

I can always tell a split second before it rings cuz i can hear it on my desktop speakers before it rings - kinda cool, but if it's doing that to speakers, what's i doing to my head!?

-Rich

No, actually its AT&T service.

I only have a an old Dolby Prologic Receiver, with no digital connections.

I guess my next question should be, if it's only interference, do I have to worry about damaging my equipment??

I guess I can learn to live with it, I just don't want to burn/blow anything out, like my new Legend speakers cwm6.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rhawki:

I can always tell a split second before it rings cuz i can hear it on my desktop speakers before it rings - kinda cool, but if it's doing that to speakers, what's i doing to my head!?

-Rich

making you psycic? Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150