RF-3II vs RF-5(Hello, Klipsch)

jad5

Good question,the RF-5's have better conectivity.The tuning is lower,more extended bass.I did not look at the crossover.The bmid-bass drivers are the same and as for the tweeter I think it is also identical.

A Klipsch rep would have to answer about tyhe crossover and the tweeters being identical.I cant tell for sure,did not open any RF-3 to look inside.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yep, this is very interesting. I did a litle research on the net and find out that the tweeter driver and horn are different. In the RF-3(II) they use the K-105-K 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver with a 6" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn. The RF-5 uses on the other hand the K-119-KB 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver with a 8" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn. Also the cross-over would be different because the HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER is 1975Hz for RF-3 and 2500 Hz for RF-5. This would mean that the frequency range of the horn is limited at the botom!! The woofers which are indentical to the RF-3 are extended in frequency range up to the 2500 Hz. This is weird sience??????? Why changing something that have to do less. What is the reason to set the crossover to 2500 Hz. Is the 1975Hz to critical for the horns and is it better produced via the woofers.

Klipsch rep's: some answers here!!!!

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

Although the RF-3 (and II series) share some of the same drivers as the RF-5, their sound differences are very notable. The RF-3 series is a tremendous value in it's price range, but one of the goals of the RF-5 was to develop a smoother overall sound with even more natural sounding vocals. This was accomplished as a result of numerous listening tests, which yielded different crossover points. It is not because the larger horn was more limited at the bottom. The higher crossover point was selected because it helped produce the final overall desired results. If you have not compared the two in your own listening tests, please do...I think you'll hear the differences yourself.

PhilH

Thx PhilH to make this clear.

Probably I will hear the difference but the price to.

Maybe I will do also some experiments with the cross-over. Changing internal cables is already a succes.

------------------

Hi Phil,

You really didn't anwer my question but that's partly my fault, I should have been more specific. I realize the crossover point is different but what about the actual components in the crossover, are they of higher quality? Also, since the cabinet dimensions are not identical, is the cabinet construction and bracing also different? The model number of the RF-3II tweeter is K-105-K1 with 6" horn and the RF5 is K-119-KB and 8" horn. Is this actually a different tweeter and why the diffence is size? I've have listened to the RF-5 in store but not the 3's and am just trying to justify the price diffence for myself before lugging them home for audition. Thanks in advance.

Jeff D.

Im not an expert, but I can try

The tweeter in the RF5 and RF3II are diffrent. However I do believe the actual driver is the same size. I think the RF5 has a bigger horn for a bigger sound, and/or for looks.

The real would finish on the RF5 is also going to raise the cost. I like Black speakers, so far the RF3 is my fav.

The dimentions are diffrent as well. I think the RF5 it is bigger for reasons like sopund coming from the speaker, and bass.

The two speakers, for me sounded great. I went back and forth, even though the RF5 did have a slight diffrence in sound, the RF3 sounded allmost as good as the less expensve gear I was testing with.

With the right equitment, you will get a very good sound from the RF5's, but with normal priced stuff, unless you LOVE the wood finish, the RF3 is a better buy to me.

When it comes to the reference seris in my opinion, I would not get the RF5's. RB5's (Size and looks) RF3's (bass and sound + Value) or the RF7's (all the above x10)

Remember, Im no expert. This is jet what I believe.

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

It's been covered fully. The RF-5 uses very similar drivers as the RF-3 but due to revoicing and larger enclosure volume, they go deeper and have smoother sound. The bigger horn provides better imaging and pattern control. The quality of crossover components is the same.

Bob,

As for your answer:

"The RF-5 uses very similar drivers as the RF-3 but due to revoicing and larger enclosure volume, they go deeper and have smoother sound."

Can you exlain this statement when actually the cabinet dimensions is bigger on the RF-3's? 5613 cubic inches to 5415 for the RF-5's.

Jeff D

The RF-5 crossovers will not be a match for the RF-3 system.

The internal volume of an RF-3 is 3696 cubic inches. The internal volume of an RF-5 is 3994 cubic inches.

This calculation ignores the gross external measurements which include the grille, the feet and the space taken by the 3/4" cabinet material.

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

The RF-5 crossovers will not be a match for the RF-3 system.

The internal volume of an RF-3 is 3696 cubic inches. The internal volume of an RF-5 is 3994 cubic inches.

This calculation ignores the gross external measurements which include the grille, the feet and the space taken by the 3/4" cabinet material.

Speaking of internal volume...could you tell me the internal volume of a SF-2? Thanks...

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

The quality of crossover components is the same.

So the quality is the same. What is the "quality" of the cross-overs. Can you have better components on the crossover that will make a difference in sound.

For e.g. Is the quality in crossover used in the klipschorn better (probably #$^$%^@).

Is there a cross-over plan with all the components and there values available for the RF-3's (BobG????). I just want to learn how it all fits together.

I have the plan already drawn, but still some values are missing. Just to verify my calculations, it would be very nice to have those values (if possible).

------------------

We do not supply network diagrams, but I can tell you that we use air core inductors and metal film caps. You can always improve on a network with superior passive parts, wiring, placement outside the cabinet etc.

At the moment, I don't have the SF-2 cabinet volume.

Bob,

This was good information but I was actually referring to the physical construction and bracing used to deal with cabinet resonances. Is the internal cabinet construction on the RF-5 more rigid and superior to that of the RF-3. The reason I ask this is I'm very sensitive to cabinet resonances that mask the sound. I've brought the RB-5's home and they sound fabulous with no cabinet sound at all. Will the cabinet also be a non-factor with the RF-5's or does the sheer size prevent it from being as well-behaved in this area. Also, if you had your druthers, would you choose the RB-3's with a sub or the RF-5's with no sub. And for what reasons. Thanks in advance. This is a non-related issue but for anyone on this forum considering the Axiom line I'm audioning the M60ti tower and am not very impressed. The RB-5 stomped all over it in clarity, imaging and overall musicality. Either they need massive break-in or they just aren't very good. Perhaps just too many drivers for their own good.

Jeff D.

• 2 weeks later...

The RF-5 and RB-5 cabinets are both made of double veneered (inside and outside) 3/4" thick MDF with high density MDF motorboard. Because the RF-5 has much larger panels, that speaker will likely have more 'cabinet sound' than the RB-5.

BobG,

"'cabinet sound'"

LOL

You mean coloration,unwanted vibrations,deformation of the original,loss of midrange purity and so forth.

Clever way to mask(at least on paper)coloration!

Wink.gif

Then the RF-7 and RF-5 should be braced better(a la B&W Matrix) to almost elimitate any cabinet signature.

Even if this means $500 added to the price of the RF-5's and up to $800 more over the $2200 SRP on the RF-7's.With this money you could brace these so well the cabinets would be rock solid.

I know I would pay the premium.

TheEAR(s) Now theears