RW-10

EasyEsoj

Hello all. I am new here. I just bought a new RW-10 sub. I guess they are being discontinued. I paid $150 new in the box. I am upgrading from the little 8 inch Sony that I bought at the pawnshop. My sterio is sort of a pinto. For those that dont know what a pinto is, it is a horse with differnt colored patches. My sterio is made of different components The reciever is a Pioneer VSX-D814 I think it is 6.1 channels. I have a Yamaha center channel speaker, 2 Bose 301 book shelve speakers for the front, 2 JBL bookshelf speakers for the rear. I have no idea about things like Hz and decibles.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if the RW-10 is any good? The cheap little Sony sounded like it was broken during low tones while watching movies. It sounded ok listening to CDs or FM radio. I wont be able to get the new sub for a couple weeks cause it has to be shiped from another city. My money is refundable. Any input or reviews would be appreciated.

Thank you EasyJoe.

Thanks guys. I dont have much knowledge about sterios. I should say I am deaf in one ear and beginning to lose the hearing in my other ear. I dont really hear the nuances that a top end unit would provide. I am just trying to get a little better boom from what I have. Thanks again. I will let you know how the new sub works for me.

Easy Joe

Well I received my Klipsch RW-10. Some what of a dissapointment for me. While it sounds and performs much better for movies than did my little Sony 8 inch powered sub, The little Sony was deffinatly tighter and bassier (for lack of a better word) as far as music is concerned. I dont want you to think I'm a kid listening to Rap music. I am 47 years old and Rock and Roll is my preferance. I wish I could hear music with the little Sony and watch movies with the Klipsch.

I have and older Kenwood KR V5570 in my garage. It is pro-logic??? What ever that means. I am going to attempt to conect my little Sony to it, when it is a little warmer.

Easy Joe

Try hooking up both subs to your system. The RW10 is a great sub. I have had mine for about 3 years now. But..... you have to place it in the right spot. Try this. Put the sub where you normally sit at. walk around the room, and where ever the sub sounds the best at, that's where you should try to put the sub. This isn't always possible, but you MUST put the RW10 in the best location. I don't recommend putting it in a corner either. Just try to move it around. And see my post about putting a piece of wood under it also. Good luck. And this is just my opinion, but there is no way that the Sony sounds better than the RW10! [:D]

Dolby Pro-logic is an older surround mode that utilized a center channel, two front channels and 2 surround channels. The 2 surround channels were played pretty much in mono instead of stereo, very different from today's 5.1, 6.1, etc systems that utilize 5 or more discrete channels of sound.

I tried your suggestion, Thank you placement was the problem. I did however find it sounded better in the corner of my home. And what is up with the wood underneath. That is quite a difference. Is the carpet robbing the sharpness from the sub. I used a shelf that I had removed from my entertainment center. I am now having to straighten the pictures hanging on the walls. Now only if I could figure out the Lowpass Hz knob and Phaze knob I cant hear any difference when I adjust these knobs. Thanks Tommy for your help. I guess I will keep this sub awhile now.

On the back of the little sony I hooked the input right and left to the right and left speakers on the back of my kenwood. It sounds pretty good. I just hope this is not causing damage to something. As far as I can tell my pioneer speakers are still sterio. I bought the sony at a pawn shop and did not get any literature on them. So hooking them up like that was just a guess. It is 65 degrees in Billings Mt according to my thermometer, so that is why I hooked it up. Thanks you Wuzzer for straightining me out on the Prologic thing.

I tried your suggestion, Thank you placement was the problem. I did however find it sounded better in the corner of my home. And what is up with the wood underneath. That is quite a difference. Is the carpet robbing the sharpness from the sub. I used a shelf that I had removed from my entertainment center. I am now having to straighten the pictures hanging on the walls. Now only if I could figure out the Lowpass Hz knob and Phaze knob I cant hear any difference when I adjust these knobs. Thanks Tommy for your help. I guess I will keep this sub awhile now.

Yes, carpet absorbs some of the soundwaves. The wood actually reflects the sound, making it sound better.

How do you have the su b plugged in? If it's plugged in with the LFE input, then the knobs on your sub will be useless. You control the sound of the sub w/ the receiver. But if you are using the other inputs, then the sound should change as you change the settings on the knobs. How is it hooked up?

It is in the LFE thanks. I really dont mean to be stupid. I just have never really been so technical with my equipment. I was just doing the red goes here the white goes here and turning it on. It is nice to have found a place where people are good enough to help. So Thanks again

Easy Joe