Anyone use Neutrik Speakon connectors?

RichardP

I have the THX Ultra II subs, which use Speakon connectors between the amp and sub cabinets. The connector body, together with the minimun bend in the cable, puts the cabinets a bit over 4" out from the wall. At one sub's location, I would really like to get it closer to the wall, even by an inch or so. I see that Parts Express has a 90-degree Speakon connector, but it is not clear if it would actually reduce the protrusion distance from the back of the cabinet. Does anyone here have any experience with these connectors, especially the 90-degree version, who can provide any info?

Also, the PE description of these states they are solderless. They are designed for 4-lead connections, even thought the sub only need the normal 2 leads. Are they easy to install/modify?

I figured I would ask here first before trying to contact Parts Express. Thanks in advance.

I think that's good thinking on the 90 degree connectors Richard. Perhaps going direct to Neutrik's site might give the dimensions of the plugs you speak of. I think the original concept of the Speak on was for PA loudspeakers, which are commonly bi-amped, so the 4 conductors made sense. The capability of accepting large wire gauges and the locking feature are surely a couple of the reasons they were selected for the THX subs.

I just learned this from Steve P last week- Klipsch uses the 4x14 ga wire because it presents a more round cablef or the strain relief of the Speak-on to grab to. It is equivalent to 2x12 ga wires in conductivity. We just use two of the contacts on each Speak-on and run two wires to each.

Michael

Thanks, guys.

Don't you just love it when there are exact and complete answers to your technical questions?

Seriously - what kind of lazy loosers is Klipsch hiring these days anyway? [:o][;)][:D][Y]

I need to sticky this thread for future reference.

Thanks, guys.

Don't you just love it when there are exact and complete answers to your technical questions?

Seriously - what kind of lazy loosers is Klipsch hiring these days anyway? [:o][;)][:D][Y]

I need to sticky this thread for future reference.

And 4am responses from some yahoo too, goodness.