Roc is really PISSED

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roc, you've got some great, gut-wrenching pics! Any dial-up users left here will go berserk waiting for your pics to load, since, while sized OK, they're between 600,000 and over 1 million bytes each. I think 100 kb is a good enough size for pic clarity and loading speed.

Thanks for sharing!

Larry

Larry, Larry, Larry,

I'm not very computer technical. (I'm an audio man) Tell me specifically what I need to do in order to make the pictures easier to view. With your help I was able to get the pics posted. Any way to improve the viewer experience would be appreciated, especially since I plan to post a lot more pictures over the week-end.

BTW, the worker construction signs were made by my 10 year old granddaughter.

I should'a figured I'd rightly be put on the spot, and I've had my struggles with digital pics. I also used to have dial-up, which made big files slow to load for me. Anyway, I have Photoshop Elements which I've gradually learned to use -- it's the only such software I'm familiar with. In that program, one can "save for the web" and do two things which work in tandem: (1) change the pixels to reduce the pic size, which reduced file size; and (2) change the "quality," which apparently is the amount of compression. The file size is a combination of those two.

In the PE save for the web dialog box, one can see side-by-side detail pics with file size at least underneath the outcome pic on the right, which is where you look. Reducing the pixel size will reduce the file size by itself, so that if you start out with 2,400 by 1,600 pixels and cut it down to 600 by 400, you might reduce file size from, say, 800,000 bytes to a quarter of that (I don't know if those are the correct relationships). Since 200,000 is still hefty, you can go to the "quality" categories and reduce from "high" to "medium" (there's also a numerical scale in the PE box) and then look back at the figure beneath the outcome pic and see what it's dropped to. Some say 72,000 (72 kb) is plenty, tho' I aim for a little higher.

EDIT: Pics of this size are no longer a problem for me since I got DSL. Sorry, I was just trying to stand in for dialup users since I remember how it used to be. lc

Larry