FYI: La SCALA II CHARTS

turntable3

There are some really strange things happening between 4k and 5K according to the first chart.

While I was not surprised at the 70hz frequency response, I was surprised how sharpe the roll off was.

Not a wonder why LaScala's sound better with a sub-woofer.

Wow!  That's pretty much the old rating of +/-5 dB from 45 to 17.5 kHz, except that the bottom is 50, instead of 45. 

I'm seeing a roll off starting a 70hz.  Each line between 40 and 100 is 10.

It looks more badly than it sounds. I own La Scala 1 - built April 20th. 2006. I am very pleased with the sound. If the music is well recorded bass is very good. Ask the neighbour...........

Because La Scala is very fast in the bass-response I am sceptical about using a subwoofer which tends to be not as fast as La Scala's bass. Yet I haven't heard a Scala with a sub.

But I'll try it.

Jack

Ummm... fast bass? (... bass inherently has long wave
lengths, and therefore is never "fast"... ). Perhaps you
meant controlled...

In any case, with bass intensive material, Lascala's lack of lower end
is very obvious and it will benefit from a good sub. Problem is
if you like to crank them every once and a while... you'll need a lot
of sub...

nice charts btw...

ROb

Thanks very much for putting up the LS-II charts. I like the German technical terms. The LS II is using the AL-4 network, right?

I have a question if anyone might try to answer: I replaced the AL-4 nets in my 2005 LS with BEC A paper in oil. My understanding is that since the new drivers for the mid and the new tweeters are slightly less efficient than their previous types (about -2dB), the AL-4 network is hotter (less padded) in the mid and high end to compensate. Therefore, by putting the BEC A in there designed for the old style hotter drivers the mid and high are now relatively down 2dB compared to the woofer. Since the overall efficiency of the speaker is founded from the woofer (105dB with padding for the mid and tweet), the net result is that my LS have retained the original efficiency and have more bass? Or am I missing something in my assumptions? Is this a unique configuration? Any thoughts would be appreciated - I sure love the sound...

And yes, there are nicer curves out there...

post-16099-13819325756082_thumb.gif

pauln,

what your hearing is just as you stated in your post. the mid/hf level relative to the LF is slightly down in ouput from the stock AL-4. it will not however retain the same efficiency, though it should be close. by changing crossover topologies, you have also altered the voicing, which depending on your preference it may indeed sound better.

Very close. You have AL-4's. When they went to the MDF in the LaScala II they had to make some adjustments to the network. I think maybe those changes primarily related to attenuation. As far as actual topology, they are probably near identical.