Hey - Erik, my Monarchy Monoblocks arrived - Thought you'd like to see this................

Cut-Throat

This is a page from their manual. Scroll to the bottom of the page!

You might want to write them a letter[:D]

How do they sound? - Solid Scrape - OUCH! - This might be too harsh even for Movies!!

Really makes you appreciate a good SET amp. Plenty of power! - But who wants it?

CheaterPlug.jpg

This is a page from their manual. Scroll to the bottom of the page!

You might want to write them a letter[:D]

How do they sound? - Solid Scrape - OUCH! - This might be too harsh even for Movies!!

Really makes you appreciate a good SET amp. Plenty of power! - But who wants it?

CheaterPlug.jpg

How about a pic of those monoblocks!?!?!

"Yeah put it in the oven at 250 for 5 minutes."

No need, they got hot all on their own.

Is this a 'Pro' or regular version? The regular version I had was anything but grainy. Run in stereo mode is was good for about 10w before it started clipping.

Shawn

I'm always getting darn near killed when I plug in my equipment that has only two prongs. Nearly everyone was nearly killed whenever they plugged stuff in before three-prongs became the norm.

On the other hand, Dr. Who has been electrocuted many times and doesn't consider it a big deal at all.

Hey - Kevin

If you want to remove the cheater plug on your amps to solve ground loop hum, it's certainly your choice to do that. For this one example, I can refer you to many more that consider that practice a serious safety compromise.

Up to you though; have fun with your new amps.

Erik

I'm not gonna do it, but I thought you might be interested that an amp manufacturer actually has the practice printed up in their manual. Which is a step that I would not do.

I thought you might want to 'take em to task'!

I took the Monarchy Mono Block amps back into my shop and hooked them up to some 89db Monitor speakers and they didn't sound too bad. When I auditioned them with my 104db Khorn/Altec Speakers that first watt was pretty awful! - This was with a 6SN7 tube Pre-amp also! -- Yuck! -When Mobile Homeless reviewed these, he probably did it with Cornwalls and did not see how bad that the first watt sounded. - I could see where they would be tolerated with Cornwalls and less efficient speakers.

But letting the amps bleed off a few watts, they were OK SS amps. Not as good as my Van Alstine Modified Hafler amp of 1985, but ok. - Their best feature is their size. - They might come in handy for testing other components.

I've never heard these. I must say, I am surprised they don't sound a bit better based on comments I've heard over the past few years. How did you happen to choose these?

Mark, as you know 'better' is all relative. I've heard worse. But remember I'm comparing them to a very good 45 SET amp, that nothing I've compared comes close to exceeding. As far as SS amps go, they may be very good!

I only picked them because they were small, available as a demo unit on Audiogon and Mobile Homeless gave them a favorable review (he did say he didn't like them as well as tubes. I thought I might end up using them as amps for Movies, but that ain't going to cut it.

Shawn,

I did try one amp and you are right, it is better than monoblocks - but still Ouch with 104db speakers. - With 1 amp with 89db monitors they are tolerable.

"I did try one amp and you are right, it is better than
monoblocks - but still Ouch with 104db speakers. - With 1 amp with
89db monitors they are tolerable. "

Are these the 'Pro' version or the regular version? The older regular version sounded very nice on my LaScalas. There are distortion measurements of it on the forum here somewhere. There were some changes to the design over the years that I had seen conflicting opinions of.

Shawn