In Ceiling Speakers or floor standing?

Rosso

Hi everyone. I have my house prewired for 5.1 surround in the ceilings. My family room is about 15x15x9 but my kitchen is part of the room as well if that makes sense and is another 17ft.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/RossiePants/Lot014.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/RossiePants/Lot015.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/RossiePants/Lot016.jpg

Anyways, I was considering just getting the CDT-5650-C speakers for the fronts, center and rears and matching it with the KSW-10 Sub. I currently have the Onkyo 640 Receiver and will eventually change that out to something else.

I was wondering though if I should use a different configuration of speakers - like 5800's at the rear or one for the center. I have wood floors so I'm sure that makes a difference as well.

I was also considering just haviong floor speakers at the front as the wires will be hidden by the TV and a center under the TV on the stand (which I am replacing for a larger one)

This is my first go at home theater so forgive my lack of knowledge. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ross - dazed and confused

I should also add, if there will be a significantly better sound from 2 floor speakers and then a center speaker under the TV on the stand then I will go that way for the sake of a bit more money, but again, which ones to buy? I do not have a $2000 budget, just looking for best bang for buck.

All suggestions appreciated

Thanks

personally i dont like in ceiling/wall speakers, there ok for ambiance and i like the way they can disapear under a coat of paint . i just prefer floorstanders. however, im not familiar with the models you are speaking of. for around $2000 i believe you could get 2 synergy F3, a synergy C3 and a sub 12. you may have to shell out a few hundered more for S3 surrounds.

Hi my dazed and apparently dim friend....ceiling speakers almost always lag behind the performance of stand alones. Don't let anyone tell you differently. AND don't get Klipsch in-ceiling product...you would be better off getting a non-commercial Best Buy/Walmart type setup....investigate, there certainly are good quality speakers out there...just do your research.

Hi my dazed and apparently dim friend....ceiling speakers almost always lag behind the performance of stand alones. Don't let anyone tell you differently. AND don't get Klipsch in-ceiling product...you would be better off getting a non-commercial Best Buy/Walmart type setup....investigate, there certainly are good quality speakers out there...just do your research.

Could I ask what this review is based upon?

I do not by any means have to have new stuff, Im not bothered about getting used as long as its good quality. I have pretty much made up my mind that it has to be floors and a center speaker in the front then I was going to put ceiling speakers at the rear, would they just get lost if I did this?

My budget I guess is about $1000 to $1300 on the 5 speakers. And don't worry about insulting me, I've been called worse before ;-)

Before you surrender to in ceilings, would it be possible to create or purchase some sort of mount for the surrounds that could point down to the listening space? This way you could even get better directed sound than strictly down-firing speakers and still use the pre-run wiring. Hook up a speaker jack plate to the wires in the ceiling, then run short wires to it from your speaker which is suspended from the ceiling mount. Just something to think about since you have the luxury of planning with pre-wiring. There must be someone here who can help flesh out this idea.