Mark - You were right these Tekton Fostex 4.5 inch speakers are the 'Bomb' - My best value in audio in 30 years!

Cut-Throat

The only thing that scares me about going back to a crossoverless single-driver is the beaming some of them have in the upper registers at higher volume. My Loth-X Amaze had midrange clarity to die for and for that alone I thought they were keepers. They mated so well with my 6.5Wpc 300B SET amp and my single Dayton Audio subwoofer that as far as I could tell sounded seamless in their presentation. Even the highs were clean and articulate and not overly bright...that is until I turned the volume up a bit! I'm afraid even the Tekton 6.5s with the Fostex FE167E will beam at higher SPLs and be forward in the highs, thus I'll end up selling them like I did the Loth-X, no matter how great they'll sound otherwise.

Does anyone here know if the Fostex drivers used in your own Tekton loudspeakers also get forward sounding highs at higher volume levels? Is this just a matter of fact and the nature of the beast with fullrange single-drivers with whizzer cones (and no phase plugs)?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...Want to play Led Zep at 110dB - -wrong speaker. Want to have a dance party at the house? Wrong speaker. Want some music to vaccuum the floor by? Wrong speaker. Want your pant legs to flap with 1812 canon shots? Wrong speaker. Want to play House, Deep Trance, and Hip Hop? Wrong speaker."

Want to play pipe organ compositions at 90dB SPL? Wrong speaker...I suppose.[:'(]

Does anyone here know if the Fostex drivers used in your own Tekton loudspeakers also get forward sounding highs at higher volume levels? Is this just a matter of fact and the nature of the beast with fullrange single-drivers with whizzer cones (and no phase plugs)?

The Tekton's use a correction circuit intended to address that issue.

I'm sorry, Dee...guess I got this statement from their website ("warm and rich bass response that is produced by a textbook Quasi third-order ported Butterworth alignment") confused with the circuit you mentioned, which obviously ain't the same. And this circuit is what yourself and Mark was talking about that used a resistor and another component to reduce or eliminate any beaming effects in the treble region?

Yeah, Mark...figured as much.[:(] The Cornwalls were perfect for the job, but way too massive for my small listening room. And the RB-75s with my dual Dayton subs does get the job done. But I miss the sweet, smooth sounds from single-drivers like the Loth-X...guess I can't have it both ways; listening to my favorite organ music louder than 90dB and powering SDers with flea-powered amps.

Seems I was better off with my Magneplanars and a 300Wpc McIntosh amp.

"...Want to play Led Zep at 110dB - -wrong speaker. Want to have a dance party at the house? Wrong speaker. Want some music to vaccuum the floor by? Wrong speaker. Want your pant legs to flap with 1812 canon shots? Wrong speaker. Want to play House, Deep Trance, and Hip Hop? Wrong speaker."

Want to play pipe organ compositions at 90dB SPL? Wrong speaker...I suppose.[:'(]

They sound perfect for annoucing flight delays and gate changes.

Yup. It's hard to have it all - I agree. I can't recall any speakers I've had that "did it all."

The Maggies I had came pretty darn close, actually. Of course I couldn't blast 'em at 120dB levels (who'd want to?), but with the big Mac pushin' out up to 300 watts in my small room (and with the addition of my DIY 15" powered sub), they sounded pretty convincing with both pipe organ music at full sforzondo, large orchestral masterpieces, and with Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Sarah McLachlan, Fleetwood Mac, The Stones, Allman Bro's, U2, Genesis, et al.

Hell, my present system will never "do it all" until I can afford a JuicyMusic Tercel...only then will it be complete!

Prounounced "sfawrt-sahn-doh", it's Italian for a tone or chord that's strongly accented or played with force...in the case with pipe organs, at full organ (virtually every stop or register on the organ is used), and that's where the term "pulling out all the stops" comes from.

Magneplanars are outstanding loudspeakers IMHO, but I don't think I could ever refer to them as neat toys (and Tympanis certainly were not...that was a virtual wall of sound)! But we all have our opinions on these thin mylar panels, and I'm glad even my inexpensive MGLR1s had that spectacular life-like sound that was quite effortless when the power was there to push 'em! I'd never classify them as being "too spectacular", but then again our preferences (and our ears) differ. The fact that you drove your Maggies triamped with mid-power amplification is amazing to me, but as you've said you didn't blast yours like I did mine (and their sonics never fell apart on me...I don't ever recall hearing them distort).

Oh, if only I was loaded and had multiple systems in various rooms of a large house...one room with mucho high-current SS power and huge Magnepans, another room for my flea-powered SET amp and SD Tektons, Lowthers, or Omegas, and a pair of new La Scala IIs and pCATs in yet another dedicated room...I'd never leave the house (except to buy more music)!