So I picked up my RF-7's

Gnfanatic

Hey guys, I got the RF-7's and going to put everything together soon. here is my question. I am going to be getting a preamp for my 2 denon POA-8300's. These amps are pretty much new and I am curious how to hook up the rf7's to 1 channel?? I would think the Denon will be good enough for the rf-7's. here is a pick of the internals. Anyone know anything about these amps??

thanks!

post-26108-13819326107728_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the 7's.

I have had mine a little over a year, and the bottom end just had an awekeing about 1 month ago, to where I need to keep checking if someone left the sub on.

@ their price point I am a beleiver........

As far as the amps, they look to be 3 channel discrete (mono). Are they daisy chainable, bridgable?

The power supplies look a little week to really give it to the 7's (even at lower volume-where they can really shine). Bigger capped supplies will give the 7's the reserve energy

they crave to be as dynamic as they can.

Again congrats, and enjoy.

Thanks for the replys, yes you can daisey chain them. I am surprised you said the powersupplies look a little weak. They werent cheap at the time./ the reason I am using them is I got them for free and they are pratically new :) I jsut need to figure out a preamp and i am ready to roll. Worse comes to worse I save up for amps.

thanks!

Ralph

Ralph,

I have never heard them, so am not passing judgement on their sonics.

I know 1st hand that more reserve (power supply) power can lead to greater dynamics.

I would try them, and experiment with different configurations to see what sounds best to you, as ultimately its your $$$$.

I have built a setup that suits me to a tee, and there are those among us who it would not do it for.

Thats the beauty of this hobbie, is the choices, and, it fuels a hell of an industry to boot.

System synergy is a fact I would bet many would agree on.

There are no hard- fast rules (reasonably speaking) to putting a system together, other than build a 15K system, and throw a Daewoo dvd player in their for redbook cd's, and everyone will agree thats your weak link.

I used a Rotel (1080) 2 x 200 ss amp with my 7's and loved the combo. Impulsively I figured more was better, grabbed a Rotel (1090) 2 x 380, and felt it was not nearly as efficiant, that I was giving something up to the amp and not letting the speakers get it, so went back to the 1080, and have since gone tubed.

You just gotta try it (experimenting is 1/2 the fun of it) and see where you like it.

Again, congrats on the 7's, their keepers..................

Bob

No-well-maybe.

My VTL's volume knob seldom goes above 9:am, and that fills my room with sound, and is a comfortable listening level 2 rooms away.

The VTL St-150 along with the 1080 are perfect at this level, and the 1090 didn't give the same feel, the top and mid were there (albeit a little lackluster), just a tad shy on the bottom. it took a little more throttle for it to fully blossom. When I ran the pre's volume pot up to about 10:30 am or so the 1090 began to show its prowess, but at that point it is to damn loud to be in the house.

rsp1068, what does bridged mean? does it mean connecting both amps , which will double the pwoer to the channels?

Yes, as an example many of the TFM series from Carver were bridgeable. You could select mono (switch on back of amp), run 1 speaker from both channels of an amp and "effectively double your power rating". There are makes without the switch that let you jump the channels externally at the speaker terminals to accomplish the same. But make certain they are "bridgeable" before doing so or quick damage will occur.

I have never ran that way, as when I was younger I had Infinity RS 2.5 speaks, which were power Hogs (8? db) , so I just made sure to use an amp able to drive them (David Haffler DH-500).

Now that I am a little older, and like it a little more sentual, its about the quality, not quantity.

No-well-maybe.

..........it took a little more throttle for it to fully blossom. When I ran the pre's volume pot up to about 10:30 am or so the 1090 began to show its prowess, but at that point it is to damn loud to be in the house.

........Thank's for your input.......that's exactly what I suspected. Enjoy..!

rsp1068, what does bridged mean? does it mean connecting both amps , which will double the pwoer to the channels? so instead of 100w x 2 , it will be 200w x 2?? if so does this effect sound or puts stress on the amps?

thanks!

actually if the Carver has inverted output it will more than double the power, as does the amp Sunburnwilly has. 133 watts per channel, but 2 channels bridged you're talking 360 watts per channel.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I dont have the manuals to these amps and cant find much info on them. I took a pic in the back of them and hoping you guys could tell?? there is NO switch of any kind. rob755, i got your pm and will get back to you tonight.

thanks guys

ralph

post-26108-13819326161446_thumb.jpg

I doubt that they are bridgable. I would try them straight up (as a 3 channel) and if I liked them, follow the link above and grab the manual.

There may be people here on the forum who work on amps day in and day out, and can tell you from a circuit design stand point how to bridge any of them, but that aint me.

I can only pass along my past experiences, and as the previous post says, "hope it helps".

Again, enjoy......