Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 12

thebes

Thanks to Uncle Sammy, we've got more daylight, can stay up later and play more music. Not a bad deal at all.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music
as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

David Bromberg Band, Reckless Abandon, rock/blues/blue grass, lp

I don't know if I ever had one of his album's in the house but I sure do like this one. The second cut is a traditional New Orleans jazz number that segues into the finest bluegrass pickin I have ever heard. Some losers in this one, but mostly winners. Amazing talent in the band. Highly recommended and very well recorded.

I understand he has just released a new one after a number of years of silence. I think I'm going to seek it out.

So what do you have to share this week?

Yes -- Going for the One .

Great 70s prog, but not considered a classic by Yes standards, yet its probably my favorite after all these years.

Beautiful and powerful and overreaching in places, but that's why its good. Two longer suites and three cuts with somewhat song structures--all are favorites.

While sorting out the good, the bad, and the ugly, I found Alias "Contraband"(1979), which was one of the very first compilations of former Lynryd Skynrd members. Commonly known as LS II, this band featured Leon Wilkerson, Artimus Pyle, Billy Powell, Barry Harwood, Dorman Cogburn, and Jo Jo Billingsley. If you like L.S., then this LP is sure to please you.

Not a classic by any means, but a nice departure from the top 40 w/the Lynyrd Skynyrd feel. This pre-dates the Rossington/Collins Band.

For some reason, I also had the fixation of listening to several Jefferson Starship LP's w/Grace Slick and Paul Kantner. IMO, Grace has to be one of the top 10 female vocalists spanning what, 3 decades (Airplane 60/70's, Starship 70/80's).

"Earth" and "Winds of Change"

Busy with Music listening 101 with the Scott, and almost forgot about this, but lo and be hold, I remembered. Will pass on write-up of one certain disc, and will throw some New Purchases at you this week:

LAST MAN STANDING : JERRY LEE LEWIS..............DVD.............and what a DVD it is. The Killer center stage, 71 years young, still alittle arrogant, and always in command of the Stage.......Many Stars, and friends join Jerry for some great renditions of old songs....Great Stuff here, I believe the early stages of Rock and Roll had 3 main figures, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Mr. Jerry Lee Lewis, these guys set the table for the future. Very nice DVD indeed..............

THEM CHANGES : BUDDY MILES...........CD............What can I say about a 300 lb.+ guy, that Drums and sings at the same time? Buddy Miles has a great voice, hard to believe the sound that comes from this Big Man.............Have always been a BUDDY fan, will always be a BUDDY fan......

FOGHAT..................the album with the picture of A Rock and A Roll......CD......A great all around album from these guys, covers many styles of music, not just the Foghat Loud and in yer' face attack, but is a good all around balance of material. Dave, Rod, Roger, and Tone are fine musicians, and this album bears that out...........

BECK BOGART and APPICE.............CD...............Here's another Great Power Trio...too bad it was one and done for these guys. The rythmn section from Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, teamed up with Jeff Beck.......Great Music....Would have liked a few more albums from these guys, but..............

Lookin' at these selections, and guess what, they are all Classic 70's Stuff, God I'm stuck in the 70's, and I like it.................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry Lee Lewis JUST came out last week, so 1 is NEW.....................ENJOY................Did I mention I got a SCOTT 299-D ???????????

Raymond Scott "Powerhouse". Everyone knows his music but few know who wrote it as warner brothers put his music to cartoons because it was in their catalog and free for them to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Scott

http://raymondscott.com/Powerhse.wav

He was also the father of electronic music and especially electronic instruments. Bob Moog was hired by Raymond Scott to build circuit boards and actually held back on some of his designs as he feared they would be too close to Scotts. All the early electronic music pioneers made pilgrimages to visit with Raymond Scott.

MAD GENIUS!

raymondscottstudio50s.jpg

Hell let's skip a week as far as a new thread goes. Sorry I didn't get it up last night.

Cool post Seti. I got into Moog music via the Moody Blues, surise, suprise. Can you imagine the amount of tubes tucked away behind all those boards in the picture? Drool.

I'm heading off to jazz-land this week with Cassandra Wilson, "Blue Skies", cd.

Fergetabout yur Norah's and Krall's, ya want jazz slide on up to this magical voice. Pacing, rythm and a sterling sense of beauty. One of the best there is or will be. On this one it's just her, a piano and a bass. You owe it to yourself to own at least one of her cd's.

"Hell let's skip a week as far as a new thread goes. Sorry I didn't get it up last night."

LMAO.....Thebes, I am sure that isn't the real reason, and I will not pursue the line of questioning.

I now find myself lacking adequate material to share, so I am now on the hunt for NEW /OLD material. Time to hit he flea markets and auctions, but we have very little to choose from in this area.

"Hell let's skip a week as far as a new thread goes. Sorry I didn't get it up last night."

LMAO.....Thebes, I am sure that isn't the real reason, and I will not pursue the line of questioning.

I now find myself lacking adequate material to share, so I am now on the hunt for NEW /OLD material. Time to hit he flea markets and auctions, but we have very little to choose from in this area.

Bet the TWINS didn't like that................EH Thebes ?????????????

NIGHTMARES : J. GIELS BAND...............Another great disc from one of Boston's Best Bands............non stop party from beginning to end, these guys understood good time music...Peter Wolf, what a front man....when I first got this disc, I didn't like it, but after a play or two, YEAH MAN, these Boys do Rock........Really miss this style of Music, no one plays it today.....it's a shame, that's what I always liked about J. Giels they were different, a sorta' 50's style played in the 70's......Grab your girl and dance, and we know where that leads...............EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Uncle Sammy, we've got more daylight, can stay up later and play more music. Not a bad deal at all.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

David Bromberg Band, Reckless Abandon, rock/blues/blue grass, lp

I don't know if I ever had one of his album's in the house but I sure do like this one. The second cut is a traditional New Orleans jazz number that segues into the finest bluegrass pickin I have ever heard. Some losers in this one, but mostly winners. Amazing talent in the band. Highly recommended and very well recorded.

I understand he has just released a new one after a number of years of silence. I think I'm going to seek it out.

So what do you have to share this week?

David Bromberg......oh yes................I have one of his records. Remember "Dead skunk in the middle of the road"?

Busy with Music listening 101 with the Scott, and almost forgot about this, but lo and be hold, I remembered. Will pass on write-up of one certain disc, and will throw some New Purchases at you this week:

LAST MAN STANDING : JERRY LEE LEWIS..............DVD.............and what a DVD it is. The Killer center stage, 71 years young, still alittle arrogant, and always in command of the Stage.......Many Stars, and friends join Jerry for some great renditions of old songs....Great Stuff here, I believe the early stages of Rock and Roll had 3 main figures, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Mr. Jerry Lee Lewis, these guys set the table for the future. Very nice DVD indeed..............

THEM CHANGES : BUDDY MILES...........CD............What can I say about a 300 lb.+ guy, that Drums and sings at the same time? Buddy Miles has a great voice, hard to believe the sound that comes from this Big Man.............Have always been a BUDDY fan, will always be a BUDDY fan......

FOGHAT..................the album with the picture of A Rock and A Roll......CD......A great all around album from these guys, covers many styles of music, not just the Foghat Loud and in yer' face attack, but is a good all around balance of material. Dave, Rod, Roger, and Tone are fine musicians, and this album bears that out...........

BECK BOGART and APPICE.............CD...............Here's another Great Power Trio...too bad it was one and done for these guys. The rythmn section from Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, teamed up with Jeff Beck.......Great Music....Would have liked a few more albums from these guys, but..............

Lookin' at these selections, and guess what, they are all Classic 70's Stuff, God I'm stuck in the 70's, and I like it.................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry Lee Lewis JUST came out last week, so 1 is NEW.....................ENJOY................Did I mention I got a SCOTT 299-D ???????????

Hey, that Jerry Lee thing. Great duets. Great sounding CD. Jerry puts his spin on each cut. How about the opening guitar riff from Jimmy Page? The Zep lives on......

Bet the TWINS didn't like that................EH Thebes ?????????????

NIGHTMARES : J. GIELS BAND...............Another great disc from one of Boston's Best Bands............non stop party from beginning to end, these guys understood good time music...Peter Wolf, what a front man....when I first got this disc, I didn't like it, but after a play or two, YEAH MAN, these Boys do Rock........Really miss this style of Music, no one plays it today.....it's a shame, that's what I always liked about J. Giels they were different, a sorta' 50's style played in the 70's......Grab your girl and dance, and we know where that leads...............EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J. Geils....a real party band.

Roc.........David Broomberg didn't do Dead Skunk...Loudon Wainwright III did it.....Last Man Standing is now out on DVD, and I think it's better than the cd, although your right about Page, the DVD puts Jerry center stage, and the old bast-ard loves it.....Long Live the Killer....."Don't put no headstone on my grave".............