Where does one find the Teac A-L700P ?

MD1032

Seriously, no matter where I look, I can't find a place where you can buy this sucker online. My T-amp hisses and is a pretty weak amp overall, so basically, I'm looking to replace it, and the Teac looks like it would be a good choice. Not if I can't buy it, that is!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

They have been discontinued for some time now so I really doubt you

will find a new one out there. Try a"wanted" ad on the forum over

at redwineaudio.com, quite a few of the regulars over there use

them and are looking to trade up.

Those didn't even make a blip on the radar until they were out of production and being blown out for cheap. They haven't been around new for more than two years. I don't think there are really that many around in the scheme of things, and folks that do have them don't seem to eager to sell them - for what they'd bring, they're just not worth selling.

Is your T-Amp the basic one or the Super T (or whatever they call it)? The upgraded one for $140 or so from Partsexpress seems pretty well liked.

Seriously, no matter where I look, I can't find a place where you can buy this sucker online. My T-amp hisses and is a pretty weak amp overall, so basically, I'm looking to replace it, and the Teac looks like it would be a good choice. Not if I can't buy it, that is!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Give this link a try. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00007MFQY/ref=dp_olp_2/002-5174559-6138420

William

As a semi-DIY alternative you could try the class-T amp from DIY Paradise - I have used them for bi-amping and they are anything but weak and hissy. I actually bought one just out of curiosity and found I preferred it to my Onkyo receiver, so I got a second, modded them both and and use one for each speaker. They sound fine with an SMPS 13.8V power supply.

Interesting. The comments on the TriPath are very different from a year back when it was being hailed by many on the forum. I've never heard one but was moved to purchase one of the Panasonic recievers with the TI chipset for 127.00 delivered off Ebay and was utterly stunned the first time I plugged it in. I've never heard an SS amp at any price that could beat it. It now resides as my "everyday" amp driving 2 'horns, a Cornwall, and 2 Frazier Mark IV's with easy, grace, and beauty. IMHO, the sound has has all the accuracy of SS but the smoothness of tubes. I use a VT (Van Alstine) preamp to feed it for all the critical sources.

Of course, I still crank up the ST-80 a LOT.

Dave

Couldn't agree more Dave ! Unfortunately, I have to pick my moments to crank it up - neighbours and all that. But I love the way the bass can attack so fast it 'jiggles me innards' and can then instantly vanish without a trace.

When I first connected up my little credit-card-sized class-T amp using a cheap smps power supply, I was also quite surprised, however, the power supply was noisy so I went out and got a 6.5 amp 13.8V supply (US$20...goodness...so much...the RCA cables cost more) and added a bypass cap to the output stage too. I stopped using my Onkyo overnight. It's noisier, distorts more, has a 'thinner' bass and doesn't seem to have the dynamics of the class-T. So I'm a convert ! I now have two amps, each with their own 6.5 amp supply (total overkill for an amp that will draw about 3 amps ?!) and vertical bi-amped so the separation is as good as my DAC can deliver.

A friend has a vinyl/tube system that cost in excess of 10 times mine, and yes, it sounds sweeter than anything else I've heard. It also looks a lot more 'audiophile'. My system is invisible really - it's just a DAC and two speakers, fed from a PC. But for the money I don't see how I could have got better. Your Panasonic sounds like a real bargain !!

I think like every other kind of amp, there are good class-T or class-D amps and also some bad ones. Not all the Tripath chips are equal either. So I feel duty bound to qualify my statements above and say my amps use the TA2020 (now surpassed by the TA2021), surface mount components and good quality components everywhere too - Blackgates etc.

I now dream of an HD-DVD/Blu-ray system that is pure digital with individual PWM amps mounted on the back of each driver, and tailored specifically for that driver. I live in hope...

Tom

Don't know what your budget is, but even the top of the line of the Panasonic digital receivers is around USD400.00. I am assuming without evidence that he entre XR line uses the same circuits. I've been surprised at how little penetration these have made...not so much into the hard-headed world of audiophiles but the general consumer market. I honestly expected to see SoundBlaster cards with 7X100watt amps on board by now for 150.00 or so.

Dave