The Who Cancelled!!!!!????????

• Moderators

Michael had a post on here recently about the Who, I think he had tickets as was wondering if anyone had seen them on this current tour. I had tickets for their San Antonio show tomorrow (3/20/07) in San Antonio. I just got an email letting me know that the show had been scheduled because Roger Dalterys voice has gone south due to a "medical condition." They say they may reschedule. Anybody know the inside scoop on this? They are scheduled for Little Rock next.

I am real disapointed, I was really looking forward to this concert, but I am glad I missed Roger with a raspy voice. I hope they are able to reschedule and I still get to see them. I knew it didn't have anything to do with Pete, he was in Austin for the last several day for Soutth by Southwest and I got the chance to see him speak during the seminar sessions.

Travis

As far as I know, Keith Moon and John Entwistle remain dead. So really we're talking about half of a group, at best, canceling.

That has always been my point about Pete/Roger carrying on the Who name..........Let it go, it's over..........Daltery and Townshed perform the Music of the Who, I can live with that, and not the Who.......................It is about Rogers voice, that's why they have cancelled some shows,The Kids Are Not All Right.....................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

As far as I know, Keith Moon and John Entwistle remain dead. So really we're talking about half of a group, at best, canceling.

That has always been my point about Pete/Roger carrying on the Who name..........Let it go, it's over..........Daltery and Townshed perform the Music of the Who, I can live with that, and not the Who.......................It is about Rogers voice, that's why they have cancelled some shows,The Kids Are Not All Right.....................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, but it has to be universal, across the board. The Grateful Dead should have quit using the name after Pigpen, thank god they got it right after Garcia, Pink Floyd have to stop, despite Gilmore and Mason winning their lawsuit against Waters who tried to get them to stop using the name, the Rolling Stones have to stop, Led Zep got it right and quit using the name right after Bonham died, AC/DC has to quit, Van Halen should have quit long ago.

Of course, with The Who, Pete and Roger are the band. Pete wrote 99% of it, and there is no other voice like Roger. They say there was no harder hitting drummer then Moon, but I saw the Who pre and post Moon, and while he was missed, it was not like there was a gap there. There was nothing lacking in the performance at all. With John, that was going to be the big question. He really played bass like no one else because he would have to do so much fill while Pete was doing his leads, and he would actually take on a lead while Pete was doing regular strumming. With most bands the bass line is almost transparent. This was the big question in my mind, was it going to be noticible. For certain John's stage presence wasn't going to be missed, he always played in the wings, but that was the big question on my mind, would there be any gap.

Of course if Daltery has no voice then it is worthless. I saw now that they got a bad review in Denver because of the voice issue. Without the voice it would be terrible, it would be more than a "gap" it would be an abyss, the same with Pete. I have not read enough reviews yet, so far nothing about the lack of bass, plenty about the lack of vocal chords. It is possible that if Roger was in perfect form then the bass would be much more noticible. It's like one way out of tune or badly played violin in an orchestra, you really don't know know how anything else sounds except that one bad violin.

Well, they say they are going to reschedule, but I doubt there will be that big of an effort for San Antonio. They just cancelled Mexico as well. I am glad it got cancelled if the voice was shot, I have great memories of that band live, I would hate for my last thoughts to have been, he needs to hang it up.

Travis

I got to see The Who just a few months before John died. The concert was a real surprise to me, I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best I'd ever seen/heard.

Greg

I saw that tour also, Entwistle was THUNDEROUS! Then they came around again touring Tommy and whoever filled in (Pino Palladido?) wasn't lackluster, but didin't have the spark and the thunder of THE OX!

John may not have been a vocalist or major songwriting talent, but his rumblings were very much the sound of The Who. To me, it will never be the same without him. Remember that John was responsible for many of the orchestrations and played the occasional horn bit on albums.

Isn't if funny how with so many live shows, the time before you last saw them was at their best? Too many bands carry on live too long imho. I'm glad that they're still enjoying the tunes and a new generation of fans have the opportunity to see them. But for those of us who were around the first time, hang on to those memories of your musical heroes.