For those who prefer Tubes...

SilverSport

...but have tried "other" modes of sound reproduction...I have tried SS and it is fine... (Yamaha CA-610II, Nakamichi STASIS, McIntosh, Outlaw Audio)...I have tried Tubes and I seem to prefer this...(EICO, Sherwood, NOSValves VRDs, JMA BlueBerry)...I am wondering for those that have tried the mix of SS amplification and Tube Pre...what do you think of the combination...best of both worlds??? Worth the effort???...I am thinking of trying (why do I do this to myself...;) ) the JMA BlueBerry controlling a McIntosh amp (MC120, MC7200) for two channel...just kicking tires here and thought I might knock it around with those of you who have tried, owned, given up on anything like this...

Thanks,

Bill

The ones you cite, "EICO, Sherwood, NOSValves VRDs, JMA BlueBerry", seem to be popular on this forum.

If you were to ask that question a other forums, not sure the thread would be as busy as it would be here.

I do prefer tubes and have heard most of the equipment you

mention but I own different equipment. I have owned a Yamaha CA600 since new in

1977 and it is a fine unit. I have a HK 6XX receiver and prefer the Yamaha over

it, not surprising though as the Yamaha cost much more when new. I have a SS

receiver in my shop driving a pair of Heresies and a pair of JBL 4312s at the

same time.

On mixing units, to my ears, the preamp has more to do with

the sound than the amp if both the tube amp and the SS amp are of high quality.

I have found that the sound I get from an all tube setup is the one I like best

though. I still have SS in the HT, my den for radio listening, and in my shop

for background music. The system I use for real listening though is my VTL ultimate

pre driving my Sonic Frontiers power1 amp into a pair of Cornwall 2s.

Bill, my experience is limited -- for some 20 years, I had hi-class SS monobloc amps (Mark Levinson ML-2 class A) but went to tube preamps about half-way through that experience -- started with Audio Research, and then went to a CAT preamp. These good tube preamps produced an unmistakably improved quality. However, the quality of even these preamps varied, and I wasn't really happy until the CAT. I have listened to Gary's BBX, and think it's very satisfactory and close enough to the CAT.

Because of a certain amount of congestion (the ML-2s are only 25 watts) and grainiess, I finally wondered if tube amplifiers might be a step forward in sonic realism and intimacy. Well, lo, trying a couple of tube amps showed exactly that, and in retrospect I think the jump in quality and likability was greater in going from SS to tube amplifier than it was in going to a tube preamp. I would vote for tube amps first.

That said, the quality of these things varies quite a bit, and I don't think your question can be answered with an abstract "tube" or "SS." You have to go with what you know will sound good.

Larry

Go with what sounds good to you and ignore everything else. I have a digital amp and a tube pre-amp - go figure. Been through SS and tube amps a plenty. All have their pluses and minuses but I am not at all sure that is to do with the topology. I have heard warm tube amps and cold ones, warm SS amps and cold ones high power tubes and low power, high power SS and low power. Too many options to call it by transistor Vs Tube.

I do need to unhook the Outlaw amp and hook it up upstairs to the K'Horns...just for a try but...I currently prefer Tube amps and preamp...be they my JMA BlueBerry and NOSValves VRDs with K'Horns or the EICO HF-81 with Quartets...I was curious if anyone had tried McItntosh SS Amps with JMA PreAmps...and as I say...kicking tires...there has been some talk around here of lively debate...I thought this might provide that and give me some specific information as well...thanks for the feedback thus far...

Bill