Protecting the Finish

sgarrott

As an addendum to my previous post, would someone give me suggestions as to protecting the finish on my oiled walnut Cornwalls. I can't remember what I use to wipe them down with right after I bought them. After a couple of years they were installed in an enclosed cabinet so I stopped rubbing them down. They are now out in the open in our new home and I want to renew the finish as I'm sure they are somewhat dry. Thanks for any advice.

Steve Garrott

Steve,

I use Formbys Lemon Oil on my oil oak Cornwall whenever they start to lose their luster.Also,in between oilings I'll use Scotts Liquid Gold while I'm cleaning the rest of the house.It does wonders on the Cornwalls and my genuine Mahogany bedroom set-really bring out the grain of the wood.

If you do decide to sell the Cornwalls please keep me in mind as I would like to pick up a set of Walnut/Cherry/Zebrawood finish Cornwalls in the future.

Jeff

When wood becomes dry, it becomes brittle and cracks easily. I rub down the oiled walnut shanks of the big old Cornwalls (CWO) with simple furniture lemon oil, just like the fine through bred horses they are. Then, in a unbidden move, which thrills "little miss sensitive ears" to no end, I go around the house and oil the other wood furniture too. This way she realizes that while I am not completely useless when it comes to household tasks, I am perfectly capable of performing them when my uncommon stereo is concerned. In Florida, a rubdown once a year, for my speakers and I, is sufficient to keep us both lubricated. Up north, especially with the dry winters there, an oiling three or four times a year, for the cabinets anyway, is necessary to keep the wood from drying out with premature ageing.

This message has been edited by Colin on 12-12-2001 at 10:42 AM

Do not use lemon oil! It really doesn't do much more than sit on the surface and shine.

I reccomend gun stock oil--you can get it at most big sporting goods/outdoors type stores. This stuff penetrates and really protects. Then finish it off with some gun stock wax. Your Cornwalls will thank you--and will look as pretty as new.

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch instruction manual under 'care of wood' stated the following: Oiled wood veneers, several times a year apply liberal fine furnature polish but DO NOT USE oil that contains wax. Lacquered, dry or damp cloth if required. Raw, finish as soon as possible.

Bought a pair of black Chorus II's this week.

Does anyone know (Bob G. or who ever)if there is a coat of lacquer, poly or whatever on top? Can't tell and I don't know jack about finishes.

Thank you, Catfish

This message has been edited by catfish1966 on 12-23-2001 at 12:27 AM

Thanks again Keith! Have read you have numerous black Klipsch. After reading the following please give me a little more feed back if possible and anyone else who's reading: Just reviewed the 'speaker product' section on the Klipsch site. The Heresy II's lacquer finish is listed as an option and was a higher price than I payed for my brand new 2001 BLACK H-II's which I only ordered in black, not in black lacquer (my 1990 Chorus II's have same finish as my new H-II's); this makes me wonder..........

Been working on a two channel set-up which has included Fisher X1000, SA300-tube rec., & Dynaco 400 amps; FM1000, FM200, 100b, MC67 & various MD tuners; Dynaco cdv hdcd pro cd player(with Atwood mods), various Sony's, AH!, & misc cd player; Chorus II's, Forte I's, H -II's, Cf-4's and big Bozak speakers. In a 20'x 30' listening area I'm down to the Fisher SA300 & 100b tuner, Chorus II's and Dynaco pro. This is not an expensive system in the realm of so called hi-fi. To me it's seems the Chorus II alone would be hard to beat but I haven't heard the K-horn or Cornwall with my equipment. H-II's would be killer with the proper sub(s). Thought Forte's would beat Chorus II's since the F-I's have the same drivers as the H's and F-I's specs list a lower bottom than Chorus (I know Chorus has differnet mid horn).

Anyway, would like to know what finish I have on the Chorus for proper care and the hell of it. If I can't find out here I'll take base off and go to local cabinet maker.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Fish

This message has been edited by catfish1966 on 12-24-2001 at 03:33 PM

What do you use on regular black finished speakers.? Regular furniture polish.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:** Yamaha Rx-v1000 **

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

CD: 5 Disc Yamaha comming soon.

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

I use a furniture grade liquid that is made for dusting fine furniture.Not a national brand.It seems to be somemwhat oily so I wipe on,let stand for aout 10 minutes(long enough to dust 6 or 8 others)then wipe off with a flannel rag.Gives a nice sheen on the black and mahogany without a hint of residue.

Don't even think about using a wax product on black!

Keith

Steve,

I, too, have Walnut Cornwalls (circa 1983), and like JCturboT I use Scott's Liquid Gold. I never use any lemon oil product. Since I live in Florida, I only oil about 1 or 2 times per year. In between oil rubbings I simply use a damp cotton dustcloth. Seems to work great. Oh, it's easy to put "too much" of that Liquid Gold stuff on...if you make 'em real greasy, they'll collect dust and other crud.