2k budget Front proj. or plasma

mowntnbkr

I am upgrading my room and getting rid of my RPCRT. The room is 14x12. The picture will be on the long wall. For the price can I get a decent front projection or Plasma (50"). It will primarily be for movies and gaming. Anyone know the pro's and cons betweent the two. This is my 2 channel room if it matters.

If you have the light control available go projector. If not got plasma.

For $2k you can *steal* the Sharp XV-Z12000 MkII projector at Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11211168

A year ago that was a $10k unit and one of the top two or three 720p DLPs available. Just make sure its throw ratio and offset/shift would work for you. It is also a large projector (for a digital).

Shawn

Plasma's have the potential to burn in, which can be irreversible. Plasma TV's of about 50inches are insanely expensive for 1080p models (which may not be that important to you, but others with Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or a video game system that supports 1080p.) You can get a very nice 50" plasma for $2k if you are just looking for a monitor. Plasma TV's are more expensive naturally because they do include a tuner. But since you are either looking for a front projector or plasma tv, it seems like you are not really worried about a TV tuner.

For projectors I have found this website helpful:

http://www.plasmacity.com/PROJECTOR/PROJECTOR-REVIEW.htm

The room is naturally fairly dark. the windows face north and never gets direct sunlight. We get a little bit of glare from the windows, but not much. My concern is that Front projection cannot keep up with the fast pace assoc. with gaming, is that not true?

Front projection for optimal picture needs a dark/black room. Any light in the room reduces contrast.

"My concern is that Front projection cannot keep up with the fast pace assoc. with gaming, is that not true? "

The main delay is in the video processing, particularly deinterlacing. A plasma and a projector would both have video processing associated with it. If your games are progressive you take out all of the deinterlacing delay right there. Depending upon what resolution you are feeding the display you might have a touch of delay in scaling to the native rate or you might not if you are already feeding the projector native rate. Scaling is very quick as far as processing goes and that would occur both with front projection and a plasma.

Shawn

The room is naturally fairly dark. the windows face north and never gets direct sunlight. We get a little bit of glare from the windows, but not much. My concern is that Front projection cannot keep up with the fast pace assoc. with gaming, is that not true?

If those are the only windows, you can use blackout curtains to cut the light, if there are doors to block the light from the other rooms you will be ok.

To echo sffog again, the fp setup will not be any different than the processor in a plasma. Just because the screen is 96" wide, the LCD pannel can be held in the palm of your hand. We are projected onto a 119" screen and can deal with a limited amount of light. A smaller screen with the projector closer to the screen will give you much more contrast and brightness from the same unit.

A great resource is www.projectorcentral.com.

LCD's may have a tendency to blur fast-paced action as you might encounter with gaming, but newer generation units may have solved that. I'm going from memory here and may be off base, but you might want to check that out. I have an LCD projector (Panasonic AE700, about 2 generations old) and I've never noticed any blurring, but I'm not doing any gaming on it.

That Hitatchi looks like a nice deal.

We bought our Hitachi PJTX 100 nearly two years ago, used, for $1200 (MSRP $3000 and discounted to $2000 new). Ours is only 720 and the picture quality is outstanding, I can only imagine what the full high def unit looks like. We also paid $1200 for our DaLite screen just last year and couldn't be more pleased. I would rather watch movies in our HT than go out to the movies, the audio is better and the picture is just as good.