Epic CF-4 vs Reference 5 with 50 watt tube amp

Mike D

I own a JoLida 302a with JanPhillips tubes. My amp sounds really good with the RF-3 and RF-5 speakers that I heard at my local dealer. I know very little about Klipsch in general so I'm asking your advice.

I am considerering purchasing a pair of Epic CF-4 or the RF-5 speakers. Which would you recommend for a musician who loves a huge soundstage, lots of midrange (as uncolored as possible), and no need for bass. I have a Legacy Audio subwoofer so bass is not a concern.

I posted a similar message on the wrong page.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike D on 12-12-2001 at 02:20 PM

Mike...Those CF-4's would absolutely sing to you with those tubes. Can't beat the soundstage the Epic's present. Never heard the RF-5's but a friend of mine has RF-3's, and they are great speakers, just a little to forward. Forward is another word for a slightly harsh/brittle sound. GOOD LUCK....

Well, better believe it, deanG as if you think I would put up with "Screeching sound" for more than a quarter of a second, you are quite mistaken. I will say once again that the vintage 77 Cornwall with the Alnico drivers easily were more musical than the RF-5 speakers. Of coure, we were driving them with over $15,000 worth of CDP and amplification but the choice was very clear. I ended up buying the 77 Cornwalls over a $5500 pair of Silverline Sonata II. The Klipsch RF-5 came in third.

Are you saying there were vintage Klipsch in the movie theater? I cannot believe the lack of knowledge or experience in this area combined with the free advice based on such. I admit, I too was prejudiced against horns until I heard them properly implemented and with good sources and amplification. Guys here are running these damn things with Denon and Sony receivers which amazes me as I can only imagine the sound. With speakers in the 100dB range and above, a typical solid state receiver with sub standard parts and power supply cannot come near competing in the first few watts, especially given the judicious use of negative feedback to make the specs look steller and drop the THD to the .009% level. That being said, it not hard to get some harsh sound from the vintage Klipsch if fed bad sources or certain rock recordings, even with Singe-Ended Triodes...

Mike, I would also suggest ditching the Jan Philips input/driver tubes if that is where you have them. I used to own a Jolida 302B which is the exact same amp with major cosmetic differences. The Jan Philips 12**7 series is really subpar. You wont believe the difference in your Jolida once you move to better tubes here.

What is your taste in music?

kh

Deang.....I didn't really mean to characerize the reference series as harsh/brittle. What I should have said is compared to my Epic's the sound of my friends RF-3's are far more fatiging/harsh, whatever you want to call it. Also, I realize were running completely different equipment too, so it's not a totally fair comparison. I do agree with your statement about the Heritage line compared to the Reference though.

Rowood, you should actually read your own post concerning the equipment and speaker interaction and relate it to the vintage Klipsch. For anyone to make this statement regarding the Heritage or vintage Klipsch in comparison to the RF series (at least the RF-5), then he has not heard the old speakers via the right sources, amplification, or material.

Of course, the modern Heritage Series might, and probably dont, hold a candle to the vintage Alnico Klipsch with the Type B crossover and heavy ply.

kh

Thank you all for this valuable information.

Mobile Homeless: (if that is your real name)

I am a trumpet player and a band director so my music varies from Full Big Band Jazz to small group baroque Chamber Music. My pop listenning is rare but includes acid jazz, tripped out electronic music, Beatles, Metallica, and Johnny Cash. cwm6.gif

deanG:

I called my local klipsch dealer to see if I could audition a pair of RC-7 center channel speakers side by side with the RF-5 and my tube amp. They were reluctent (!!!) and said the RC-7 wouldn't be broken in because they will be receiving several new ones within the next couple weeks. Those guys are the same ones who run the cheapest cdp and receiver they can (with the loudness button in) and run 30 feet of spliced zip cord for speaker cables.

Anyway, your idea seems excellent after taking a close look at the specifications. Thank you.

I've forgotten, did you say you have heard the CF-4s?

Mike D

Mike - sound like quite a varied selection of music - I like that! Tubes do so well with jazz, especially acoustic combo stuff like Miles, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Ben Webster etc.

Too bad you arent giving more thought to vintage Klipsch as they really did outclass the RF-5 which actually sounded less refined and a bit forward, this compared to mid 70s Cornwalls.

As for your Jolida, have you tried other input tubes? You didnt mention this but you wont believe the difference in sound here. I have a lot of experience with the Jolida EL-34 amps and they respond well to mods and tweaks as well as tube rolling.

kh

Name? Kelly Holsten

Kelly,

Thanks again. I have tried Sovtek, Mesa Baron, Ram, Golden Dragon, and now JanPhillips 12--7s. I preferred the Sovteks midrange, but they were not as clear as the others. The Mesas were nice in the bass, but lacked in both midrange and clarity. Please let me know what else I should try. I love messing with tubes.

I still haven't ruled out the CF-4s. I am waiting for the seller to mail me pictures of them before I buy. Also, I am concerned about buying speakers with two twelve inch drivers, a horn, and nothing inbetween to fill out the midrange. I am also worried about buying without auditioning.

If any of you feel like I should jump on this deal, let me know.

Mike D

Mobile---I wouldn't worry too much about the Alnico thing, the best compression drivers I own, and I own many, both Alnico and ferrite, are new ferrite JBL 2427s. The first generation of ferrite woofers by Altec and JBL had asymetric drive problems that were subsequently solved, mind that Altec and JBL set themselves a VERY high standard in woofer performence and were worried about aspects of ferrite woofer performence that were over most driver maker's heads, in any case most Heritages are using cheap ferrite CTS and Eminence woofers. The Altec and JBL collectors are into Alnico because they are prettier than the ferrites, those hammertone green and stove-crackle enamel finishes are very attractive, a cult has subsequently grown-up based on a supposed superiority of Alnico compression drivers.

deanG:

This page is the best! You, KH, and the others have really helped me. Thank you.

I prefer to perform in large boomy rooms like cathedrals and larger churches. I really enjoy how overtones and harmonic ressonances come alive in large rooms. That is the feeling I am trying to achieve at home. It will be my audio hot tub.

Mike Dcwm11.gif

I was wondering the same thing about the RF5 vs CF-4.

I have the cf4 and think they sound very nice, but was wondering if I really need speakers this big if all the low end base could be handled by a subwoofer or would the cf4 still sound bigger ?

Right now It is hard to believe the rumble that these things can produce without a sub......

decisions....decisions........