SAMSUNG DLP - one thing you may need to know before you buy one or if you have one

ARPRINCE

I'm having a problem with my Samsung DLP model HL-P5085W where you would see "SMUDGES" on the screen and is getting worst. It's barely visible when watching a movie but once the background color changes into something light or white, you would definitely notice it.

If your are noticing blotches or smudges on your screen no matter how small it is, contact Samsung if your unit is still under warranty. Believe me, these smudges will grow worst as time passes by like mine.

The problem is documented at Samsung's web site (see below) and a part of the screen needs to be replaced. Although they are saying that the problem only affects HLP series manufactured before FEB 2005, I have seen complaints on the internet for other Samsung series (some even at 1080P - so definitely newer models way after FEB 2005 as they claimed).

See LINK..

post-16043-13819329806086_thumb.jpg

I have a Samsung DLP that about 6 months out of warranty had a light engine problem. Samsung gave me the old sorry for your trouble, but that $4000 tv is just out of warranty. Cost me $800 to replace the light engine. Last Samsung I will ever buy.

I have had the opposite experience. I bought my DLP in June 2005, went back and forth between my 5677, and the mits, had the mits because it was on a good sale, but ultimately returned it. We use our TV for atleast 3-6 hrs per day, whether it be for TIVO'd shows, or Netflix rentals, and have not had one problem. Anyone who knows me would know I would say this, but for new technology, this screams, EXTENDED WARRANTY.

I have a Samsung DLP that about 6 months out of warranty had a light engine problem. Samsung gave me the old sorry for your trouble, but that $4000 tv is just out of warranty. Cost me $800 to replace the light engine. Last Samsung I will ever buy.

You may be in luck if you use AMEX. They extend the manufacturer's warranty by an additional year (I believe). If you used another card, check with them too. I got mine NOV 2004. However, I got a 5+ years extended warranty on this unit. I have someone coming over to check my unit on Saturday although they did say that it may not fall under coverage since it's the screen that's affected.

I have had those exact same smudges on both sides lined up vertical like you show since I bought mine Summer 2004.

I have the first pedestal model that came out. You see it on white screeens. The longer you have the TV on....the more they go away. It is a temperature thing. I surf the internet 99% of the time so they are there when there is a typical white background of Internet Explorer.

I have the Best Buy 5 year extended warranty. I really wasn't too excited to have those guys in my house messin with it. I actually forgot about it. Until now.

jc

UPDATE: The tech guy came over and checked out my complaint. He said they would place a screen replacement order for my unit. It would most likely take a week to get one. He then added that that's what they usually say to all customers. Ohh well.....

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I had my appointment today for the screen replacement. Actually, they wanted to schedule it last week but I was not available. Took approx 30 minutes. They replaced both the outer and inner screen. I really don't purchase extended warranties. I didn't get one for my LCD but I'm really glad I got one for this unit since I was concerned about the DLP lamp cost replacement. Good thing I was able to use it for the screen. [:D]

LEFT SIDE:

post-16043-13819330581776_thumb.jpg

I have the same TV as the OP and had the same problem. I got the extended warrenty with my set and I'm glad I did. A few pixels went out and it was the light engine, I also had the gray marks on the side of the TV and they had to replace the screen. It took them 2 trips to change the screen cause the 1st time someone from the parts supply place put a huge sticker on the screen and the installer didn't notice until he had the tv apart and was ready to install the new screen. All is well now and I really like the TV.