Original Demo LP's / Reel to reels ! (and quad equipment)

GWSmith

Hello everyone...

Just thought I would enter this little post about factory demo tapes or LP's you may have in your collection. I own an ORIGINAL 1958 RCA stereo demo LP. Its still a real hoot to listen to.

My mom bought a brand new Voice of Music reel to reel back in the late 50ies I believe, she was doing commercials for radio stations at home then and used it for that purpose, however..... It came with a really interesting demo tape (keep in mind, it was monophonic back in that period). I remember as a young kid my folks playing that demo from time to time, it included some symphonic music and lots of sound effects. An impending thunderstorm etc.

If ANYONE has a copy of this, I would love to hear it again, as it has been long since lost back in the early 60ies sometime, and that was the last time I had heard it.

Also, back in 1974, I bought a brand new Sony TC-388-4 `Quadradial' 4 channel reel to reel recorder. I still have this deck and the demo recording is still mint in its box, and although a bit `hissy' by today's listening standards, its still very interesting to hear. Anyone that would want a copy of it in 2 channel mode, I would be willing to share.

Meanwhile, my music room is about to undergo its transformation allowing for my 1968 K'horns to be installed. I am going to make them the main front channels for my retro QUAD playback system. As some of you may know, I am rebuilding my model 'A' xovers with new caps from Bob C. This I would hope make a difference. I have yet to hear these speakers myself, as they were a gift from a friend of mine that passed away - they remain in storage until I can begin work on them and set them up.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your posts..

With warm regards,

Gary

Welcome Tigerman, but unfortunately those dem's pre-date me.........born 1957, so not much help for you on this end. Heck, the only material I have are the reference records supplied by Maxell back in the seventies: Jazz samplers, Rock samplers , etc.

Enjoy the experience, as I just recently heard my first set of Khorns. Awesome sounding loudspeakers w/more detail and strong center than I could have ever imagined.

Hopefully someone more mature can assist you on the other request, but good decision on updating those networks.

• Moderators

Hello everyone...

Just thought I would enter this little post about factory demo tapes or LP's you may have in your collection. I own an ORIGINAL 1958 RCA stereo demo LP. Its still a real hoot to listen to.

My mom bought a brand new Voice of Music reel to reel back in the late 50ies I believe, she was doing commercials for radio stations at home then and used it for that purpose, however..... It came with a really interesting demo tape (keep in mind, it was monophonic back in that period). I remember as a young kid my folks playing that demo from time to time, it included some symphonic music and lots of sound effects. An impending thunderstorm etc.

If ANYONE has a copy of this, I would love to hear it again, as it has been long since lost back in the early 60ies sometime, and that was the last time I had heard it.

Also, back in 1974, I bought a brand new Sony TC-388-4 `Quadradial' 4 channel reel to reel recorder. I still have this deck and the demo recording is still mint in its box, and although a bit `hissy' by today's listening standards, its still very interesting to hear. Anyone that would want a copy of it in 2 channel mode, I would be willing to share.

Meanwhile, my music room is about to undergo its transformation allowing for my 1968 K'horns to be installed. I am going to make them the main front channels for my retro QUAD playback system. As some of you may know, I am rebuilding my model 'A' xovers with new caps from Bob C. This I would hope make a difference. I have yet to hear these speakers myself, as they were a gift from a friend of mine that passed away - they remain in storage until I can begin work on them and set them up.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your posts..

With warm regards,

Gary

Tigerman,

Welcome, nice to see your posts on reel to reel. I have about 200 prerecorded reel to reel tapes, and they are great. I have 8 2-track master tapesI have bought from different sources. These were either made to go to the record production facility or reel to reel duplication facility. It is unbelievable the number of "master" tapes that have made there way out into the market place.

I have an Al Green Quad tape, that is of no use to me since I don't have a quad deck. Very interesting package and concept.

Glad to see your post,

Travis

This is pretty wild timing. I just spoke to a Klipsch owner yesterday who wanted to know if the RF3 and RF3II would play well together. Seems he has a quad receiver and that there is a quad forum somewhere and that LP's are being pressed in this format again!?!?!?

Thanks to everyone who has written back to me about this subject. Great on the master tapes Travis. You know, I believe that if there is to be analog recordings, those are the BEST source - beyond vinyl. As in most cases, thats what LP's are made from correct? No clicks / pops and a wider dynamic range and stereo separation [:)] (IMHO)

I have a box full of commercial 7" tapes, one of them is Leroy Anderson himself as conductor of an orchestra playing HIS famous compositions and I am amazed at just how good that recording sounds! The first minute is a bit broken up from years of the original owner winding the lead etc. onto the takeup reel, but once it gets past that - clear and clean!

I will get a couple photos together of the demo recording covers I have so everyone can have a look.

Ok on the quad LP's... I have ONE, and that is a DEMO also. Remember the `SQ' LP's? Rotating and counter rotating the cartridge/stylus produced the rear channels.

Lets keep this going :o)

...........Gary

Have also noticed alot of QUAD equipment for sale.............right now, a Sansui Quad Receiver on Albany, N.Y. craigslist....Quads were big in Germany when I was stationed there......Reel to Reel was only way to go with Quad............LP's sucked..............QRX-5500 Sansui.....Queenbury, N.Y.