20 Years Later...and I'm Spinnin Vinyl Again.

pierceb

Don't want to rain on your parade, but Vinyl sales were lower last year, than the year before, sales keep dropping, but Recorded Music as a whole, sales are down. It's because of you PIRATES stealing the music, free downloads, Poor Guys can't make a buck........Keep it up, and there won't be any music!!...................Yeah, Right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............[|-)]

Thank you for this resource.

I am a novice, so simplicity and affordability is what I am looking at. I have a small listening room for now, and my anticipated system will be:

-Klipsch Heresy IIIs

-Prima luna Prologue II integrated tube amp

-CD player TBD, nothing too expensive

-Rega or Music Hall turntable with a MM cartridge

For the phono preamp, do you recommend the built-in one in the Prima Luna or something else. Maybe the Bellari or EAR?

Don't want to rain on your parade, but Vinyl sales were lower last year, than the year before, sales keep dropping, but Recorded Music as a whole, sales are down. It's because of you PIRATES stealing the music, free downloads, Poor Guys can't make a buck........Keep it up, and there won't be any music!!...................Yeah, Right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............Sleep

I probably purchased 100 records last year, but they won't be showing in those sales figures because they were all recycled. In the pre-digital era audiophiles accounted for a percentage of sales well beyond our actual population. I suspect I am not alone. Why should I buy new CD's at full price as long as the wealth of re-cycled LP's and 78's can be had for from free to 5.00 or so?

When I get back to recording again I think I will try the Linn model of download ready to burn and high res ready to play. It's going to be a while before there are enough of you ready for this to make any money, but I am convinced it's the wave of the future.

Dave

Don't want to rain on your parade, but Vinyl sales were lower last year, than the year before, sales keep dropping, but Recorded Music as a whole, sales are down. It's because of you PIRATES stealing the music, free downloads, Poor Guys can't make a buck........Keep it up, and there won't be any music!!...................Yeah, Right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............Sleep

I probably purchased 100 records last year, but they won't be showing in those sales figures because they were all recycled. In the pre-digital era audiophiles accounted for a percentage of sales well beyond our actual population. I suspect I am not alone. Why should I buy new CD's at full price as long as the wealth of re-cycled LP's and 78's can be had for from free to 5.00 or so?

When I get back to recording again I think I will try the Linn model of download ready to burn and high res ready to play. It's going to be a while before there are enough of you ready for this to make any money, but I am convinced it's the wave of the future.

Dave

I pretty much quit buying music in the eighties after they pretty much quit making it...

Don't want to rain on your parade, but Vinyl sales were lower last year, than the year before, sales keep dropping, but Recorded Music as a whole, sales are down. It's because of you PIRATES stealing the music, free downloads, Poor Guys can't make a buck........Keep it up, and there won't be any music!!...................Yeah, Right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............[|-)]

OB,

Where did you get that info from? Everything I have seen on the net points to rising sales of vinyl records and not falling sales.

For example http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Vinyl-records-are-heading-back-in-fashion-with-sales-up-87.html

There are others - probably more up to date but I am a bit pushed for time. Not sure who is right here - but I do know that the number of record shops in Athens in growing continuously whilst the CD shops dwindle to just the major players.

OB, I think I also read that the production of records is increasing... Hey, what are you doing up so late/early? My excuse is that I just finished the calculations for my tax return (6 hours, big spreadsheet). Now I'm ready to party, think I'll wait a little bit until after 5:00 (AM) !!!

OB, I think I also read that the production of records is increasing... Hey, what are you doing up so late/early? My excuse is that I just finished the calculations for my tax return (6 hours, big spreadsheet). Now I'm ready to party, think I'll wait a little bit until after 5:00 (AM) !!!

The early bird catches the worm................I'm an early riser, don't sleep much, I'll sleep when I'm dead. I know independant Record Companies are on the rise, but in the total picture of the Recording Industry, the Big Business Boys, their total sales of records is down for the 3rd straight year, and I believe total sales down for the 2cnd straight year. So, stop making recordings for family, and friends, those guys gotta' eat too.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![;)]

hi all,

my wife and i have a vintage collection of lp's that i had been wanting to listen to again. i've had an old technics dd turntable i've had forever and decided it was time to fire it up again. got a new cartidge because the old one sounded muted with too much base. wow, even tho it isnt high-end i'm enjoying the hell out of our records again. classic rock, classical, old country western...you name it we got it. and i started looking for more lp's. check out all the thrift stores!!! i've found a lot of real gems for almost nothing. yes a lot of the lp's in the bin are trashed but i've found a number of pristine condition lp's for $1 or less each.

so either drop your pride or put on your wino disguise (mine is a long dirty overcoat and jeans with holes in the knees. it helps if you have a two day old beard) and visit the goodwill or salvation army store and check out the collection of records the have or sale on the shelf. never know what you will find...