New Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 Review!!!!!!!

OmegaX3000

Hey everyone! I'm impressed by the conversation that has been going on in this forum, as I've followed it in the near background from the start to finish of my project. What project? A review of the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers at Envy News! . Check it out right here! Here is a quote from my review:

quote:

With all the hype and praise surrounding the Klipsch ProMedia name, I knew that one day I had to hear for myself how legendary they were, and if at all possible, own them. Unfortunately, where I am located, it never was the easiest thing to find a store that sold Klipsch speakers. Well, it has been nearly two years since Klipsch first announced their celebrated ProMedia series of speakers, and I now have the pleasure of not only owning the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 Speaker System, but providing a thorough review of them to you. Are the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers the greatest 5-piece speakers on God's Green Earth? Read on and find out.

klipsch4-07_s.jpgklipsch4-10_s.jpg

omega.jpg

Oh yah, and I also hate UBB code cwm23.gif

This message has been edited by OmegaX3000 on 12-12-2001 at 11:56 PM

Here are all the pics... some how the UBB code did not work for Omega Smile.gif

http://www.nvnews.net /envy/ reviews/klipsch41/klipsch4-12_s.jpg

klipsch4-16_s.jpg

Those did not post last time Smile.gif

Very nice review and the pictures are terrific too!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

it seems to not like me either... Smile.gif LoL!

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

typical review. This matthew arnold guy was just blinded by the light and didn't tackle the serious reliability issues that have plagued the promedia line. Sigh, another numbnut is going to read this and buy one NOT knowing about the dreaded subwoofer issue.

IGNORANCE, that i once fell victim to. Never again.

To the regulars in this forum, don't we know the story all too well?

------------------

Education is an admirable thing. But it is well

to remember from time to time that nothing that

is worth knowing can be taught.

OW

This message has been edited by Vatican3 on 12-13-2001 at 10:24 AM

I'm curious as to where you got your 4.1 set? Were they pretested by the supplier before you got them?

People buy these speakers because of reviews like yours. That review was done after a very, very short ownership period. It sounds to me like you took them out of the box, hooked them up, then listened for 20 minutes and started praising them. That's pretty unfair to the readers of your review because these speakers are fast gaining a reputation of failing after a couple months.

I'd love to see you do a follow up review after you've owned and listened to them for 2 or 3 months. That is, if your original set lasts that long!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

i have had my v2.400's for nearly a year, my 2.1's for about 6 months, my 4.1's for two months... never had a problem from any of them.

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by Vatican3:

typical review. This matthew arnold guy was just blinded by the light and didn't tackle the serious reliability issues that have plagued the promedia line. Sigh, another numbnut is going to read this and buy one NOT knowing about the dreaded subwoofer issue.

IGNORANCE, that i once fell victim to. Never again.

To the regulars in this forum, don't we know the story all too well?

I think if you actually looked at it from a reasonable perspective than a biased angry one, you would realise that 1) this is a forum for people to discuss problems they have had 2) the amount of people in this forum with even just that overheating subwoofer problem is so small compared to the amount of happy customers who have purchased the Pro 4.1.

It's kind of hard to tackle the "serious reliability issues" when a) mine work just fine and have for over a month and a half B) I go off of forum rants and and screams over how many problems they are having.

There are many variables and reasons as to the problems people have had in here, and giving a product a low rating just because there are people that have actually asked for technical support isn't reason to say it sucks. If my speakers do overheat however I will most definately update my review.

quote:

Originally posted by BigBusa:

I'm curious as to where you got your 4.1 set? Were they pretested by the supplier before you got them?

People buy these speakers because of reviews like yours. That review was done after a very, very short ownership period. It sounds to me like you took them out of the box, hooked them up, then listened for 20 minutes and started praising them. That's pretty unfair to the readers of your review because these speakers are fast gaining a reputation of failing after a couple months.

I'd love to see you do a follow up review after you've owned and listened to them for 2 or 3 months. That is, if your original set lasts that long!

a) I got them from a computer store in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. They have never had anyone return them.

B) I've owned them for .... *thinks*.... 2 months. So I did not just plug them in and listen to them in 20 minutes.

c) I think the reason why they are gaining a reputation of failing is just the horror stories people read in this forum. Did I go to this forum before buying these speakers? Yes. Was I afraid of staticy noises, my subwoofer catching on fire, etc etc etc? Damn right! Have I had those problems? No.

I don't think I should be holding my breathe for something that is most likely not going to happen.

This message has been edited by OmegaX3000 on 12-13-2001 at 04:37 PM

for anyone who's interested,

i got my first two sets from kromer, a local retailer. First one blew on the first day, second one after a month or two (can't remember anymore). The third one was sent to me from trutone electronics (another local retailer) and was 'tested'. A month later it blew, fourth one came from klipsch and was 'tested' also. Lasted a month, called it quits.

omegax3000, all i'm asking is that reviewers of the promedia line make people aware that there is a problem. I think it would be correct to say that these defective units aren't anecdotal evidence. There is a

serious situation that needs to be addressed. Yeah i know Klipsch has already taken measures but there are still time bombs out there on the shelves since a total recall wasn't done.

And just to throw in some numbers. I'm not sure about the actual failure rate of these 4.1's but i'm loosely estimating a decent 1 out of every 750. Now the probablity of someone to get four busted sets (considering that they from an SRS sample from the 750)

in succession would be 0.13% to the power of 4 or:

0.00000000004%

should i bet on the lottery??

*I have NO idea what the actual figure is, hehehe do not ostracize me for my calculations. i'm just playing around with numbers*

------------------

OW

This message has been edited by Vatican3 on 12-13-2001 at 07:12 PM

Lets look here... the problems that most of the ppl are complaining about in this thread were with the 5.1's. The 4.1's are near flawless. Yes, we do have a few everyonce and a while but that is one, everyonce and a while. Sorry your 5.1's died on you, but they are not the 4.1's, or 2.1's. They are the 5.1's. That islike saying, i had a Xbrand 30 computer that was great but my Xbrand 50 sucked till i got it replaced therefore all Xbrand computers suck... yes, there is logic in there... but not any logical logic.

------------------

-justin

hehehe, all i can say is

statistical significance is not the same as practical significance

catch my drift?

and btw those were 4.1's that i got not 5.1's

------------------

OW

This message has been edited by Vatican3 on 12-14-2001 at 01:05 AM

• Moderators

Vatican3,

You know I can't apologize enough for your bad experience, and I really do sympathize with you... but you must know how rare it has been for customers to receive one bad set after another, as you have. Usually when it does happen, the failure has been a result of exchanges from the same batch, bad wiring in a house or dorm, or misuse of some sort (not to accuse you of that at all)... If we really had one failure after another, do you honestly think we could continue this product line?? And do you honestly think we would continue this bulletin board??

We appreciate all feedback, but please keep this in perspective.

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

Why not just disclose the actual failure rate of each of the PM lines and each of the "batches" produced within the line? Then we'll be able to put it in perspective and not make uneducated remarks.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Do you really think that they have all the numbers for every product they sell? No. So, why would you expect for one cetain line of speakers to? It is not their obligation anyways.

------------------

-justin

Justin yes I do really think they do have that info. Is called simple product tracking. If they don't have that info there's a problem.

They have put serial numbers (which correspond to exact manufacturing dates) on their products since the 1940's. That's done for many reasons. Look on the back of your set. You'll see a serial number. From that number you can tell where and when the speaker set was made. If there was just a defective "first batch" of 100 sets don't you think Klipsch would have recalled them?

If Klipsch is telling the truth when they repeatedly say that only 100 sets of the first batch were effected why the heck don't they just recall those 100 sets by serial number? Even if it it is 1000 or 10,000 sets ...recall them individually by serial number or recall the entire mysterious "first batch" and be done with it.

How can you say it's not their obligation? Of course it is ...before someone gets seriously hurt or killed by fire from overheating klipsch products. If they want to keep a good reputation and secure future sales from word of mouth customers a recall is imperative.

Was firestone obligated to devulge information about its defective tires?

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 12-14-2001 at 10:38 PM

honestly though, how much abuse were you putting on your sets of speakers? I've had mine for 4 months, played them plenty loud, and even with my whole bag of bad luck my set of 4.1s still works flawlessly. Seriously though, if there was a massive amount of failures you would see a recall. You would see Klipsch lose its popularity. You would see a decline in sales. If anything, sales are rising. Sure, this set has a huge amount of power coming from it so you should expect some kinds of failures and overheating. Don't abuse em and don't pin your bass or whatever. You're just asking for trouble then. You might have had a mad experience with your set(s) but maybe that could have been because you set it up wrong or just plain abused it (purposely or not). Car stereos die all the time even though you might have the #1 amp out there. It's just a fact that the more power you have the more chance of problems you can face. I mean, if you want to be smart, find a place that has a return/exchange policy. I bought a year replacement warrenty on my 4.1s from CompUSA for $5. It's worth it just in case, you know?

quote:

They have put serial numbers (which correspond to exact manufacturing dates) on their products since the 1940's. That's done for many reasons. Look on the back of your set. You'll see a serial number

Hey, could you PLEASE show me the serial number you speak of? This is the back of MY v2.400 and i see no serial number... Yeah, you REALLY know your stuff.....

Image1.jpg

------------------

-justin

Its the top P/N number. The longer of the two. Look at any other back and you'll see the numbers are different.

P/N means production number. Very similar to S/N ...serial number.

The bottom P/N means part number. That number will be the same on all models within the v2-400 range.

NEXT ...? cwm11.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)