Surround Solution

mugahead

I am trying to assemble a home theater system for a room approx. 24x18. I have a Sony DE1075 receiver. I am going to use the SC-1 for the center channel. I am thinging about either the KSW-12 or the KSW-10 Subwoofer. I am thinging about using the Klipsch SS-1 for both the fronts and rears. Would the Klipsch SS-1 be appropriate for front speakers in terms of quality of sound for the whole system, or should I really consider bookshelf speakers for the fronts?

hey...

i was in about the same situation a couple months ago. i started out my collection of speakers with a pair of KSB 3.1's and then added a pair of KSF-S1's (or something like that). i finally got the SC-1 a month or two ago and have been enjoying value-priced klipsch bliss.

im guessing that your SS-1's would sound just fine by themselves until you added more speakers, namely the SB-3. when i first got my 3.1's i couldnt believe how they great they sounded... until i bought my surrounds and i feel that way again, but im sure ill be blown away when i finally get a sub.

i know people in this forum might suggest bigger speakers, but i am amazed at how good my system sounds and i dont even have a sub.

so to answer your question, yes, get bookshelf speakers. you'll not regret it.

Mugahead, I wouldn't reccomend using the SS-1's for fronts. They are purpose made surround speakers. For your front speakers you want something that projects sound directly toward you/into the room. The SS-1's are designed to give you a more diffuse/less localized sound for effects. For instance, if it is raining on the movie you are watching, it will sound like you are actually in the rain. You would be better off getting SB-1's, SB-2's, or SB-3's as ahhbee suggested. I don't think ahhbee knew which speakers you were referring to when he suggested the SS-1's would be fine.

This message has been edited by toddvj on 12-13-2001 at 11:56 AM

mug,

Dont waste your time on the ksw-10, go ahead and get the 12 or the 15 if you can. Usually you can find the 12 for under 400.00 on the internet. I got mine from a dealer for 375.00.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire