Time to Sign up for the MD-DC-VA October 20 Klipsch/Strathmore Fest

LarryC

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy flew from Columbus-to-Baltimore for $60 1-way on Southwest, and same on the return leg. He left on a Saturday afternoon though on his return flight.

ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND

Yeah, I checked out Columbus, but that would add a 3 hour drive at either end of the trip and probably entail starting the drive at some gawdawful hour on Sat am, only to snooze during the concert, then arrive home at midnight on Sunday.

arrrgggghhhh

Cincinnati is only 2 hour drive, but no savings on tickets.

Any tour guides on board that are really good at searching the airlines? I've tried Expedia, Orbitz, and others....

Is anyone driving from Strathmore back to Baltimore the night after the show or early on Sunday morning? I need a lift to the airport if possible. The Marty-Gary shuttle is taking place in the late morning and I need to head out before then unfortunately.

Trying to get this done without putting people out...[:S]

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again, and not surprising, but looks like our MECA VA finals will be that Sunday 10/21 in Richmond @ the "The Laboratory", so looks like I'll be homesteading the Western shore for a couple days.

Larry, it may be better if I just meet you guys at Gary's if this is where everyone will be in the early afternoon. Sorry, as I intended to start out early IF I DIDN't have this judging committment.

Mark

Yeah, I'm a little torn about this for the reasons Mark describes. Part of me is regretful and a little sheepish at not having pCATs after they had been advertised. I'd still like to hear them some time!

That said, I haven't seen much on the forum about pCATs for a few months now.

The other part of me is relieved -- they weigh 55 lbs. each, about the heaviest hi-fi item I've ever handled, and they were so large (I think 2' by 2' each!) that two of them between the speakers in my 11-ft-wide living room was going to make it very difficult for people to mill around and make themselves comfortable.

Still, I hope no one feels let down. We have tons of good music, another good time at the same Italian restaurant as last year, and a fine treat at the evening concert.

I'll soon be posting on the agenda, restaurant, and concert.

Larry

It is to bad that folks will not get to hear the fabulous Pcats but I think that you are making the correct decision as they are major league big and heavy! I know all the folks that heard them at our local get togethers have been suitably impressed!

Josh

I was really looking forward to hearing your amps Mark. Yes I'm disappointed but like Larry said, it would have been a major PITA. This will give us more time to socialize and listen to music. There will be plenty to gear to check out prior to the concert and nobody has to lug those beasts from Larry's place to mine. My back was hurting just at the thought!

Feel free to bring LPs or CDs to my place if you so desire. You might want to check with me first in case I have it (except for Skonopa[;)]).

It's time for an update on who is attending the fest and Saturday evening concert. Due to transportation problems, Parrot and Craig have dropped out, unfortunately. Dwilawyer will join us, however, with his vast reel-to-reel and new TT/arm/cartridge experience.

I and the following have tickets to the concert:

Gary (Garymd)

Marty (Thebes)

Dhar (dkalsi) and Sophia

Mark (Klipsched with Yamahas)

Chuck (Colonial Hoo)

Steve (CustomSteve01) and Caroline

Mike Lindsey

Steve (Skonopa)

Gil (Wm Gil McDermott)

Rick (Audio Flynn)

Travis (dwilawyer)

Janice (from the local Beethoven Society, as my guest)

Jim Joy (friend)

Three freed-up tickets are available at $25 each in case anyone wants to join us at the last minute!

I'll post the restaurant dinner menu and prices over the weekend, along with information on a great, very inexpensive place for breakfast.

Larry

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to the concert and the camaraderie! I'm sorry to see Craig and Parrot dropout, as I very much wanted to meet both of them. I also don't see Michael Colter's name on there, so I'm guessing he wasn't able to get a reasonable flight.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the same folk from last year, as well as Chuck (how's the 299? :-), Rick, Gil, Dhar, Mark and Travis. Larry and Gary are two of the finest gentlemen you will ever meet, so a fine time should be had by all.

Marty, if you see this post give me a call. I left a vm on your home phone.

Mike

That's cool Larry, and I'm really pumped now after seeing Brenda Russell and Candy Dulfer last night. Even had some time to chew the fat w/Ulco Bed (lead guitarist and song writer w/Candy for the past 15 years).

What a show, and if you ever get the chance to see Candy, I suggest you jump at the opportunity as she really puts on a GREAT SHOW.

Darn, I was also looking forward to meeting Craig, Michael, and Parrot

For the record, Mr. Colter WILL be attending. He flies into BWI Friday night at approx. 9:30. I'm guessing his arms will be really sore....nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.[ap][:D]

Especially w/luggage[<:o)] Good News, so that means he'll have a Stan Getz Double LP awaiting him too! Gary, what can I bring?

Just you Mark. I think we have everything under control. Thanks for asking.

Great, Steve! I'll PM you my phone no. (the PM'll be on the way shortly) so you can phone me some idea of when you're arriving Friday eve.

The rest of you: feel free to drop by Friday evening if you're around. We'll start at my place around 9:00 or 9:30 a.m. the next morning.

Larry