How far from the wall?

Klipsch-daddy

Question, what is the best distance to place a pair of rf-3's from the wall. They are in line with the wall now. The port is at the bottom of the towers.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

edster,

here is my wall:

here are my speakers: ---(left) --(center) ---(right)

in other words the ports are facing the wall. sorry for not being clear. They are 15 inches from the wall because I have a ksw-12 beside the one on the right rf-3 and the depth of the ksw-12 is 15 inches. Also the port on the sub is facing towards the wall, I wonder if ther rf-3 and ksw-12 bass is conflicting with each other.

------------------

My HTS:

According to the Cardas golden ratio setup:

The mains should be arranged in an equilateral triangle (from the listening position) with the mains placed .276x(Room width) from the side walls and .447x(Room width) from the back wall.

This basically puts them in the middle of the room - personally I ignore this and have mine about 1 ft 6 from the back wall - although my distance from the side walls is fairly close to the above, and my listening position from the speakers is the same as the speakers are from each other.

As your speakers are bass reflex and, from memory, port out backwards you may want to try them further away from the back wall than you currently have them.

Experimentation is the key. Try different positions and see if you hear a difference.

Generally sub placement is supposed to be in a corner of the room, although this may cause considerable boom. Again there is no substitue for experimentation as every room is different.

Good luck

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

OK I understand now Smile.gif I have a big entertainment center which houses the electronics etc. so I pulled my RF-3's forward enough so the front of the speakers are even with the entertainment center. They are then toed in toward the main seating position. This results in the back of the speakers being ~15" from the back wall but not parallel with the wall as they are toed in. I did a lot of re-positioning until they sounded good to me and the rat shack SPL meter.

I have the sub's crossover set low enough not to interfere with the bass of the RF's (hopefully).

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 12-14-2001 at 08:16 AM

Mine are approximately 15"-18" from the back wall and 12 inches from the side wall. Slightly infront of my entertainment center. I found that moving them farther from the wall helped the mids not sound so nasaly (sp?) ie, it sounded like the horns (the instrument) was playing at the end of a long hall. Of course they are toed in so that the center line of each speaker hits the sides of my chair (main listening position). I have found that this helps the sound stage and evens out the sound if i move my head.

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

Try to get the RF-3's as far you can from everything else. That is wall's, TV, Furniture,... .

Mine are 40 " from the back wall, 30" from the side wall and 20" from the TV.

The fronts are also placed (just a little) before the TV ,so that no sound is reflected by the TV.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

They way I have it now is from left to right the sub,rf3,tv,rf3,audio cabinet. They are all touching each other tight. I did not know it would make a difference.

------------------

My HTS: