Herman Riley, RIP

Allan Songer

One of my favorite musicians just died on Sunday. Herman Riley, monster of the tenor sax and a fixture on the Los Angeles jazz scence for as long as I can remember has passed away. DAMN!

Herman was a warm, gentle man and one of the greatest improvisers I have ever heard. I will miss him so much. This town never did realize how great Herman was, perhaps because he was so quiet and unassuming.

I must have heard him play live at least 100 times. He could make your heart stop when playing a ballad and just flat-out TEAR THE ROOF OFF when blowing what has to me my favorite Herman Riley original, "Mamalina."

I am so incredibly bummed out right now . . .

First Teddy Edwards, then Bill Perkins and now Herman Riley. My three favorite L.A. tenors are gone . . .

You've got to be kidding me! We just saw him in January!! What a bummer. I was hoping to see him play with Kenny Burrell this summer too. Really nice, quiet guy from what I saw. So sad.

I'm glad Scott and I had a chance to see him play. He was amazing. Fairly young too. So sad.

Very sad news indeed. The way he played was probably a good indication of how he lived his life and he did it with a twinkle in his eye. I was certainly lookin forward to another listening experience. I was also interested in talking to Herman about his tennis days. As I recall, he played every chance he had and I bet he was a load! Several kids on my team are musicians and have expressed interest in my records and jazz in general. I know I told them about my last visit to Charley Os! The West Tennis Team will try to win one for the great Herman Riley today!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Gilbert - I think I found something but I have to have Allan confirm.

When Gary, Allan, my son Kyle and I saw Herman at Charley O's he was playin with John Heard, (bass), John Mayer, (piano) and Lorka Hart, (drums) We were sitting right up front and could hear all the talkin'. Once John Mayer asked John Heard what key does Herman want? John said, "he doesn't give a sh!t what key - just play. Did I get that right Gary or Allan? Anyway, it was funny as hell and for the price of a dinner and a few drinks we got to get up close with one fantastic cast of musicians. It was really a priceless experience.

RIP, hope services to be well attended . .

Funeral services will be held by Pastor Fred Price on Wednesday, April 25, 12:00 noon at The Faith Dome located at 7901 S. Vermont Ave., in Los Angeles.

from LA Weekly

Herman Rileys horn falls silent
By Brick Wahl
Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:00 pm

My favorite piece of writing Ive done in the L.A. Weekly was about saxophonist Herman Riley, who died last weekend. It was the result of an incredible half-hour interview during which Herman spun out his life story, an experience that was hard to boil down to its very essence. But then I thought about how he did just that in his playing, and the words rolled out.

When he read the short article, he told me it was one of the first times he had ever seen anything in print about himself just him alone. I couldnt believe that this man, this extraordinary saxophonist, had been ignored by the jazz media. He deserved reams of coverage, but getting 200 words and a picture made him happy.

This town never realized just how extraordinary Herman Riley was. How he could move you. How you could get utterly lost in his ballads. His notes fade away into memory. And when we go, the memories go. I once asked him when he was going to record again. He had only a single album, released sometime in the 80s and impossible to find. He said he was thinking about it, but wanted to wait until he was ready. Now, I can only listen to him in my head, stretching out the notes of a ballad, till nothing remains but air and a room stilled, feelings rising deep in my bones.

My wife and I will be attending the memorial service.

That's a killer obit. Thanks for posting . . .

Scott--I think Jon Mayer said "what key?" when Herman called a standard and Heard said--"Herman doesn't give a sh!t." Which meant Herman will play in whatever key you want, Jon!! And so Jon laid down the introduction and off they went.

What made this hilarious is that Herman changed keys almost IMMEDIATELY after jumping in, which sent Jon Mayer though a SERIOUS loop--he looked like a bus hit him--it was great to watch and hear!!!

Herman was so playful and and full of adventure on the bandstand--what a joy it was to listen all these years . . . .

Did I admit that I was a bone head in this thread?[8-)] You try to be a nice guy and accommodate the fans and look what happens!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hope you all enjoy the video. I did!

I remember commenting to Allan how Herman had such total command over his instrument. Although I only saw him play the one time, it was obvious he was an immense, yet overlooked/under appreciated talent. He played so effortlessly. Never a struggle to hit a note or catch his breath. He knew exactly what he wanted to do with his instrument and just did it. Hard to put into words. It came so naturally to him. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing him again.

Allan - If you find another copy of that LP, pick one up for me too.

Thanks for the link.... unfortunately I'm in hickville USA, some small town about 35minuets East of Dallase (My wifes Uncle). And double unfortunately all I've got is a dial-up connection OMFG this is sssssssllllloooooooooooooooooooooooow.

About ready to toss this ***** of a connection out the window.... This is LAME... dial-up sucks

At last a decent connection..... and thanks for the link guys. It looks like Herman knows how to shred a mean Clarinet. Sure would like to see/hear him on a Sax. Anyone got a link with him making a sax scream?

How about on the CD Coda recommended, does he play a sax? I'll check Amazon and see if they give a decent sample.