Chorus IIs Mains. What Surround Speakers?

masirib5

I recently bought a awesome pair of Chorus II and I'm having some K-Stack networks built. I also have an Academy for a center channel. I have read most of the forum threads about which surround speakers to use and the answer seems to be get another pair of Chorus IIs for surrounds or a pair of Forte IIs or similar speakers from that era. I would do just that but I really don't have the space at the side or back of my listening position. So I was thinking of buying a pair of RS-62s for the surrounds. Can someone please let me know if this is a good choice or recommend another solution for limited space usage? 

Thank you! 

I have been using KG2.5's for the rear surrounds for a LONG time with this set-up. They do surprisingly well and do keep up just fine. I agree with oldtimer, but the kg's are a LOT less $$ than the Academy and easier to find. I can't comment on the 62's....never listened to them.

I have the same space restrictions as well. (You can see these in my photo gallery.)

Take care

Mike

I would probably lean more towards the KS-525's versus the RS-62's for timbre matching to the Chorus II's:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/ks-525-thx.aspx

There are a few threads floating around mentioning how well they integrate with Heritage speakers. I don't know of anyone trying the RS-62's, but I've found that overall the Reference voicing is further from heritage than the Ultra2 voicing is.

I use Heresy surrounds in my campus apartment...

The Ultra and Reference Series speakers WILL NOT match up with the Chorus II's no how, no way. Unless you are partially deaf or can't tell the difference between the speaker lines. Now don't get me worng it won't sound bad they are Klipsch after all, but it certainly is not going to blend. I would stay away from the echoey sound spraying S series speakers especially if you listen to multi-channel music at all.

Ideal match's are: Chorus II, Forte II, Quartet, or Academy

Workable and close are KG 1, 1.2, 1.5, 2, 2.2, 2.5, 3, possibly KG4's all these are much better choices than anything from the Synergy, Reference, or Ultra lines.

If you are going to do it, do it right the first time. You have a killer front stage there with the Chorus II's and Academy why ruin it by putting mis-matched speakers in the rear.

If you need to put them close to walls or other solid surfaces you will have to rule out any speaker with a passive radiator because they won't sound right if choked off. That's why the Academies are your best bet for matching sound. They take a little longer to find sometimes and are pricy but: they hold their value incredibly well so you will be practically guaranteed to at least break even if you ever sell them. Matching sound timbre is very important, I've gone from mismatch to eventually acquiring matching speakers and trust me it is worth it to get there. Also, regarding the price of Academies if you compare other center speakers of equivalent quality such as the rc-7 they are not expensive at all. It's just that the floorstanders they match with are such incredible bargains....

Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it!

Since I don't have a suitable back wall to use a speaker with passive woofers, I guess I will look for academies or KG 2.5s or something in that vein.

What speaker specifications can I look at to determine if the speaker will match sonically?

Thanks again!

--Jeff

Quartets are probably bigger than you want, too.
That's what I have doing surround duty right now with my Chorus IIs,
plus, with the PR in the back, they have to be out from the wall a ways
to perform.

If you need to put them close to walls or other solid surfaces you will have to rule out any speaker with a passive radiator because they won't sound right if choked off.....

Now that I've said that, and oldtimer seconded it, I wonder if it's really true, depending on what kind of listening you do. If you're doing the HT thing, with a sub, and all (or at least the surrounds) set to small, and a reasonable (80Hz) crossover, would the blocking of the PR really have much effect? The PR's effects are generally on the lowest frequencies, I believe. So the PR would kind of be out of the equation, wouldn't it?

I don't have a sub, so I can't test it, but I'd suspect, based on no particular facts, that the blocking of the PR wouldn't have a huge deleterious effect if the sub is working out well.

But the Quartets are still kind of bulky surrounds, compared to most. If I thought I could sneak the expense under the radar, I'd buy 2 more Academies, and move the Quartets to the office.

My instinct is that it would be an issue. At 80hz you are cutting across the range of a lot of instruments plus the woofer is still in play above 80hz. If you want to experiment try taping a piece of cardboard over the passives and put some music on and listen for how it changes the character of the sound across all ranges.

The Ultra and Reference Series speakers WILL NOT match up with the Chorus II's no how, no way.

Agreed about the reference, but have you ever tried the Ultras?

Now if you don't like the dipole style surrounds, that's one thing, but for movies they certainly have their advantages.

Impedance question:

If I purchased Forte IIs for my surrounds, does it matter if the Forte IIs are at a lower impedance than my Chorus IIs? In other words does it matter is you mix speakers that are rated at different impedance values?

Not sure it matters but I have a new Pioneer Elite SS receiver model VSX-80TXV which is a 7.1 rated at 110 watts.

Thanks

--Jeff

No, it doesn't matter as long as your receiver is able to drive the rated impedance of the speaker. Most amplifiers can drive 4 and 8 ohm loads, but it's not going to matter which speakers are 4 and 8 ohm. The output will be slightly different, but you'll be adjusting the speaker levels inside the receiver anyway.

Thanks again everyone!! Much appreciated info.

This morning I found a perfect set of Cornwalls and they were within 25 miles of my house. I bought them and just placed them as surrounds. My question is: Which speakers, in your opinions, or in your experience, would be better for the mains - Chorus IIs or the Cornwalls? When I picked them up they sounded really good.

Thanks in advance!

--Jeff

I thought you didn't have much room for surrounds? Guess that's out the window, as CW and Chorus IIs aren't exactly what I'd call small.

Listen to some stuff both ways, and make the decision that way. Switch back and forth several times for testing purposes. They're so easy to move around the room, you know. [:P]