2 channel from 5

UFObuster

I know, I know
...this question should be in the HT section....but hold the phone, do I have to purchase 2 systems to get the 2 channel sound I like and not give up HT?

I'm going to trade in my Rotel RB-1080 (2 channel) for an RMB-1095 (5 channel). With my RF-7s it was a killer in 2 channel....I have RF-5 in place of surrounds and RC-7 center...I'll give up the Yamaha RX-V2600 (receiver) in favor of a real pre/pro...probably Rotel or maybe in the short run, the Outlaw 990....until Rotel is upgraded (the RSP-1068). Fellas, I'm not going to rob a bank....if I go the 5 channel Rotel route...I've got to get a 5+ channel pre/pro to keep HT but I want the best 2 channel performance I can get in this category....so, where does this go?....Sunfire might be just a little pricey for me....is the Rotel 1068 the next best choice to do HT and still keep good 2 channel performance? Or if I'm already this deep into it, do I go to a better pre/pro....maybe Sunfire?...I'm really looking for balance here; I don't want to overshoot an amp like the Rotel 5 channel (200wpc) with the Klipsch rf-7 and rf-5/rc-7 combo in HT........suggestions? Much appreciated. And thanks for letting me get this HT stuff into the 2 channel audio forum. I'm not sure that there shouldn't be a category for this type of question here..

Roger

I'm not sure of all your choices because I'm not aware of the items you're looking at. That said, might a "Peach" work in your mix? Do you know about its "HT" bypass feature?

In short, it's got a two way knob on it. One position on the knob is 2 channel and one is HT bypass. What happens is the signal from your surround system would have 2 lines (fronts?) go TO the Peach HT inputs (aside from the regular inputs for cd, dvd..)

When you have Peach in 2 channel mode, the CD/DVD will feed into the Peach, OUT of the peach into your amps and to your speakers. The volume control on the Peach will control the sound. In HT bypass mode, the signal will come in from your HT unit and BYPASS the volume knob on the Peach. The signal level goes from your HT unit, THROUGH the Peach untouched, and directly to the amps on the Peach (and onto the same set of speakers).

So, in a twisted way of putting it, the HT bypass is SORT of like another input but the main difference is in 2 channel mode, the Peach controls the sound and in HT bypass, the surround system, controls the sound and in both cases, the same speakers are hooked up to the same amps in both modes. The internal amps on the surround system would NOT be used in this setup.

That make sense?

[*-)]

If you like the Rotel two channel amp you could keep it for stereo listening and add a three or five channel amp to handle the center and surrounds.

You don't need to use all of the channels in a SS amp. For example, if you purchased a five channel amp you can get by using only three of the channels for center and surround duty. This gives you the option of going 7.1 in the future, or to continue running only three channels with power to spare (power supply designed for five channels but only utilized in three). After dismantling my HT in favor of stereo, I kept the center for movies and it is the only speaker powered by a five channel amp (the amp was left over from the previous HT system).

Then pick up a new or used pre/pro and maybe a tubed pre with HT pass through, as mentioned by others for the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure of all your choices because I'm not aware of the items you're looking at. That said, might a "Peach" work in your mix? Do you know about its "HT" bypass feature?

In short, it's got a two way knob on it. One position on the knob is 2 channel and one is HT bypass. What happens is the signal from your surround system would have 2 lines (fronts?) go TO the Peach HT inputs (aside from the regular inputs for cd, dvd..)

When you have Peach in 2 channel mode, the CD/DVD will feed into the Peach, OUT of the peach into your amps and to your speakers. The volume control on the Peach will control the sound. In HT bypass mode, the signal will come in from your HT unit and BYPASS the volume knob on the Peach. The signal level goes from your HT unit, THROUGH the Peach untouched, and directly to the amps on the Peach (and onto the same set of speakers).

So, in a twisted way of putting it, the HT bypass is SORT of like another input but the main difference is in 2 channel mode, the Peach controls the sound and in HT bypass, the surround system, controls the sound and in both cases, the same speakers are hooked up to the same amps in both modes. The internal amps on the surround system would NOT be used in this setup.

That make sense?

[*-)]

We've lobbed those thoughts out to him in a prior thread, and it appears that he is going down the multi-channel ss prepro route instead:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/898257.aspx

My only other thought on the subject is that I would not trade in my 1080 and assume that you are going to get identical performance out of a 1095. To my ears, the 1095 was not simply a 1080 - but with five channels. The bass was not quite as tight with the 1095 and the 1080 was a tad smoother on the top end. I've also spoken to another forum member recently who was disappointed when he sold his 1080 and bought a 1095. It makes sense that there would be some difference because the 1095 does not have a proportionally larger power supply than the 1080. And after all, sometimes it helps to buy an amp by the pound.

On the other hand, there are other learned and respected people in here who have not heard a sonic difference between the two amps. My only caution is to try and audition the 1095 in your home first - if you can - before letting go of the 1080.

Carl.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you're entirely right...trying to get some feed-back on running an HT system with 2 ch capabilty....

Well, we all don't have $$ or brains to get there but we do know what we like to hear. Yep...I'm keeping the RB-1080...adding the RMB 1075 for my surrounds....RSP-1068 to do processing. Mostly, I got the info I needed on the OUTLAW threads....go figure.

Thanks for comments....I got it...

Roger

Yes, you're entirely right...trying to get some feed-back on running an HT system with 2 ch capabilty....

Well, we all don't have $$ or brains to get there but we do know what we like to hear. Yep...I'm keeping the RB-1080...adding the RMB 1075 for my surrounds....RSP-1068 to do processing. Mostly, I got the info I needed on the OUTLAW threads....go figure.

Thanks for comments....I got it...

Roger

Congrats. Before I was bitten with the tube "bug," I ran a RB 1080 and RMB 1075 combination with my then- Reference seven system. I also auditioned the RSP-1068 as a processor before I decided on a Classe, and it was a nice processor. You are in for a treat.

Carl.