Access (database) question

Coytee

First, since I don't KNOW how to program the program, I might word the question/problem poorly.

I've got Access 2003 if that part matters.

I have a database of contacts. Something I put together myself because anything I saw prepackaged didn't really fit my needs. I really only use the main "form" for ALL my viewing and note taking. I do not have ANY other forms or queries. I'd accuse it of being fairly simple. Perhaps not efficiently thought out, but fairly simple.

Unrelated to THIS database, I've seen an Access database that had the alphabet as radio buttons. If you wanted to view ONLY those who's last name (or what ever field) began with "W", you could click the "W" button and in essence, zoom to the "W's" and not see any other choices BUT things beginning with W.

I've got 475 contacts in this now and looking up "cooper" and then "Young" is becoming an annoyance of paging up/down so I tried to figure out how to add radio buttons and let it sort for me. So far, I have been unsuccessful so I scrapped the entire project and am back to my base program.

Is that something relative easy that can be explained to a non-programmer type? Does it involve queries and cross references? (queries have befuddled me in the past)

Can it indeed, be done? I'm not looking for the button to create a report, I'm just looking for my main screen to filter out all letters except for the one pushed.

Thought I'd ask here since I know there are some smart cookies around this place.

If it helps, I have attached the database

Well crud, I had to rename it copy.txt so if you want to look at it, you'll have to rename it to a .mdb file

copy.txt

The exact thing you are looking for can be done in outlook.  If you have ms office, just import your contacts to outlook.  If you can create a csv file, the import will be easy.  Once in outlook, no programming needed.

I have thousands of contact records in outlook.

Outlook? as in the email program?

I am guessing you didn't see what it looked like? I don't know how many fields there are but lets say 35. These fields are named by someone else who provides me with a download of the names. There are additional fields for notes so as we meet with someone, we can put details in there of the meeting.

I do NOT have any say in how the fields are named. Meaning, when I go to download it, THEY create a field that might be called "RMZ" (I just made that up). So, in my program, I had to also create a field named RMZ so it would mate up with the data for that location.

Does Outlook allow me to do that kind of customization?

I don't even know if I still HAVE outlook on my pc... I think I once deleted it. I'll check and play around... interesting thought.

Coytee

Outlook has more fields than you would or could ever use plus 10 generic ones.

The import process is menu driven and easy....you can remap fields or just use the standard ones.  The remap process is mouse driven...you drag what is on the left to what is on the right, import, and your done.

From outlook, you can export anywhere.

500 contats is a drop in the bucket....if you need help with the conversions...send me an email and it would probally take me all of 30 seconds to complete.

If you don't have outlook, as indicated, there are other contact managers that can also import csv data formats.

Where might I find Outlook? I THINK I deleted it long ago. Just did a windows update and it didn't find it missing and install it. I've been looking in windows components and don't see it.

Isn't it a standard part of Windows?

If so, where on the hard drive is it (as in C:\program files\outlook\other...)

Seems as though when I gave it the boot, I REALLY gave it the boot!! I'm open to try it HOWEVER, I don't really want to put more money into yet another program when I already have TWO.

I bought ACT in the hopes it would do what I want and I never really got comfortable with it. I'd just as well use Access if it's capable of doing it. Part of what I like is the challange of learning these things. I must admit though, I've found Access to be one of the more difficult things to learn 'on the fly' (which is how I do these things).

Coytee

Outlook has more fields than you would or could ever use plus 10 generic ones.

The import process is menu driven and easy....you can remap fields or just use the standard ones. The remap process is mouse driven...you drag what is on the left to what is on the right, import, and your done.

From outlook, you can export anywhere.

500 contats is a drop in the bucket....if you need help with the conversions...send me an email and it would probally take me all of 30 seconds to complete.

If you don't have outlook, as indicated, there are other contact managers that can also import csv data formats.

Yup I have seen outlook databases with 15,000+ entries. Export from access to excel clean up the file and then use these directions to convert from excel to outlook http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010964231033.aspx

This will save you allot of trouble and probably meet and exceed your needs.

Make sure you have some kick butt antivirus software that updates often because worms and viri love outlook contacts : )

Hey Richard, you don't need to move to outlook to achieve what you're hoping to do. I personally can't stand the outlook interface, but my dad loves it...you definitely will need a robust antivirus program though (as has been already mentioned).

Wow, I just realized that I have Access 2007 [:o] Here I thought I had 2003! I was getting ready to walk you through the relatively simple process, but I can't even figure out my own new interface. There are a few ways to implement what you're hoping to do, but if you're not intersted anymore I won't bother. I have access to a few other databases that my dad has written that you might find a bit more robust and easy to modify to your specific needs. Heck, I would just be copying what he's shown me in guiding you through setting up the filter on your database [;)]

Btw, you might find the built in Access Help system very helpful. There's all sorts of directions on how to filter your data - in fact, that's the entire purpose of creating databases! (to make it easy to sort data by any available field). I don't think you're going to be able to implement all of the data fields in your current database into outlook. It looks like you're doing more than just storing contact info...