2 Track Tape Decks, New Arrivals, and a Chance To Own the Very Best

Well, all the below explains why I never saw one. Most of the stations I worked for had tape that was mostly short pieces of acetate connected with splicing tabs. I even worked at one place that was still using Magnecorders! Sliced my fingers early on trying to come out of rewind as they had no brakes. You had to develop a touch for dynmic braking (often more like "breaking") using the opposite direction. The rewind motors were direct drive and would flat FLY. That time I sliced my fingers I also wound up with 1200 feet of tape all over the floor in about 5 seconds. Our first class thought it was a reel hoot!

3500 for that Nagra? That has to be a used price, right? And a REALLY good one? Nagra IVL's were around 4000.00 back in the late 70's and I am stunned you could get anything from them at that price.

Dave

• 4 years later...

"An ambitious entrepreneur, Sawyer was running a small record-pressing plant called Apex at 2009 W. 69th when, around 1965, he partnered with an older recording engineer, Vaughn Morrison, who designed and built a studio one door west. Most people knew it as Sunny Sawyer's studio and others simply called it Apex, but its proper name, painted on its glass-brick facade, was Morrison Sound Studio. In '61 Morrison had produced a top-ten pop hit, "This Time," for Indiana native Troy Shondell.

"Morrison was a genius," says legendary Chicago engineer Ed Cody, who often hired him to make stampers for his records. "Very knowledgeable." Though relatively small, maybe 1,200 square feet, the recording room had a rounded ceiling designed to disperse sound evenly. "Acoustically it was a live room, instead of a big dead-sounding studio," recalls Jerry Mundo, a musician and songwriter who frequently worked there. "It didn't suck up a lot of sound, so most of the things we did came off bright and very definite." The studio was stocked with high-quality Austrian microphones and an Ampex MR-70 four-track tape recorder, a costly top-of-the-line machine. "Unfortunately," Mundo says, "only three tracks were working, so we'd have to mix down and ping-pong. It was tedious, but it was better than having one track or two tracks."

This article mentions Vaughn Morrison a recording engineer and studio owner from the Chicago area.He had an MR70 4 track machine used to record the Jackson Five

circa 1967.Morrison sold the studio and moved to California.There were 2 MR70'S in a warehouse in Chicago that where in need of repair that sold in 2006

You can find references to the MR70 on the internet they show up in the most unlikely places as this article attests.The Recorder sold for $7000 in 1967 a very large sum

for such a small studio but Morrison was a recording engineer for 59 years .It would be something to hear how he came to purchase it ,many small studios probably had them like Kearney Barton Studios in Seattle.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/gyrobase/the-jackson-find/Content?oid=1191672&storyPage=2