Would an integrated with A+B work?

Coytee

In another thread, Max showed an Accuphase integrated. I looked a bit closer at it and noticed it had an A/B switch... that got me wondering...

In my world of biamping, could I use something like this (or different brand) that has A/B switch and essentially use it to "biamp" the Jubes??

Tweeters on "A" and woofers on "B" kinda thing?? If so, it would make for a lot cleaner setup by getting rid of some clutter. If the answer happens to be YES, then would I stick my active crossover on the preouts/main in connections? (logic says yes)

If it might be an iffy proposition, what might be some of the issues on trying something like that?

Richard, I don't think it would help you out, unless the amp has more than 2 channels. Typically, the A/B switch is for convenience. It's still a 2-channel amp. Now, you Could bi-wire (not the same thing, though).

Richard, I don't think it would help you out, unless the amp has more than 2 channels. Typically, the A/B switch is for convenience. It's still a 2-channel amp. Now, you Could bi-wire (not the same thing, though).

[:$]

I know you will not believe me but I really DID know that... what I noticed on the unit were four outputs...I didn't pay any attention to the TWO inputs...sigh. OK, so my morning stupid pill hasn't worn off yet...

[:S]

[:$]

I know you will not believe me but I really DID know that... what I noticed on the unit were four outputs...I didn't pay any attention to the TWO inputs...sigh. OK, so my morning stupid pill hasn't worn off yet...

[:S]

Heh, maybe I will make you look smart by asking some financial questions! I'm inheriting some moohlah from my Mom's estate...

The specifics of this post aside, I get a kick out of trying to figure out exactly what so many seem to assume that they will ultimately achieve with all of the myriad tweeks, most of which are emotional placebos at best.

I mean, we have folks who are going to recover info that is not included on the original recording to folks who think that a basket over a TV will change their experience. Oh, but don't get me wrong, far be it from me to tell anyone who believes that any of this is not valid!

Seldom have I heard so many with comparatively nice equipment have so many complaints - and yet who go to such great lengths to avoid addressing the basic speaker-room interface, aside from spending inordinate amounts of time and energy to ascertain how placing the geranium on the left or right side of the coffee table or whether I wear my blue shirt as opposed to my wife's teddy effects the timbral shift** between the bagpipes, congas, and ocarina in Helen Reddy's rendition of Danny Boy.

I also have it on good authority that if you employ the right mood altering substance, that the bass player actually performs in your living room! Now THAT's imaging!

On another forum I just heard that squinting allows you to gain a little additional acuity and insight into the music as well. I figure a 6 month examination of that is in order!

** Sound good? The irony is that there are those of you out there who are going, yeah, I know just what he means.

Heh, maybe I will make you look smart by asking some financial questions! I'm inheriting some moohlah from my Mom's estate...

If that's a legit comment, I'd be MORE than pleased to be of what ever help to you I can be...(no strings attached)

How would it make your setup cleaner?

I'm chuckling now cause I just read what Mr. 19 words wrote and not sure if he's on the same tack you are...

I was thinking I've currently got two amps, two power cords, wires everywhere... If I could find a 4 channel amp that could 'do it all' then I might look into it. Something like that could allow me the good sound (like when I have one LF bin not working and can't tell, OR have them out of phase and don't notice...[:$]) and save some space.

So, I could possibly get rid of 1 preamp, 2 amps, totaling about 160/180 pounds of "stuff"?? in lieu of a mysterious do it all 4 channel, class A integrated that might weigh 60 pounds?

Tis all I meant about cleaning things up...really didn't have much to do with the sound aspect of it! [:D]

Since I blew smoke up my OWN hiney on the initiation of this thread, I'll hijack it a bit and ask the following...

Anyone know of a 4 channel integrated (tubed or not) class A style amp? Might be interesting to kick around... Maybe Mark will design one specifically for Jubilee owners?? I I hear it's a growing market!! [<:o)]

You could spec it out with 4 channels with 2 of them being beefier than the other two for the bass bins!! hmm... think of it... 4 channels, 2 with say, 30 watts? and the other two with say 10 watts?

You can send me the prototype when it's ready for review!

[Y]

Seldom have I heard so many with comparatively nice equipment have so many complaints - and yet who go to such great lengths to avoid addressing the basic speaker-room interface, aside from spending inordinate amounts of time and energy to ascertain how placing the geranium on the left or right side of the coffee table or whether I wear my blue shirt as opposed to my wife's teddy effects the timbral shift** between the bagpipes, congas, and ocarina in Helen Reddy's rendition of Danny Boy.

Ya, but MAS, I can't do ANYTHING to this room... nothing! If it ain't flowers, candels, fluffly stuff... then I can't touch it. Not even sure she's going to keep her word on allowing me to do "what ever I want" downstairs either (final destination of electonic toys). Now, as far as Helen Reddy's rendition of Danny Boy, I'm not there yet... I'm still stuck in the "O's" with Marie Osmond singing Paper Roses... just can't get it out of my head...[:|] I'm going to TELL you to NOT think about that song anymore (Paper Roses)...of course, in the hopes that by telling you to NOT think about it, you will ultimately be unable to STOP thinking about it!

[6]

Oh, and my wifes teddy's effects on the bagpipes, congas and uh...... well... never mind!

[*-)]

Hey Richard....

I've been toying with a lot of ideas for projects to do in my senior

design labs - I've basically got 2 more semesters left with 2 classes

in each that I get to design whatever I want - so that means 4 fun

audio projects that I can get credit for [H]

One of the ideas I've been playing with is designing a digital "active

amplifier" - which basically would entail all the necessary DSP

front-end and the multi-channel amplifier outputs required for

legitimate bi-/tri-amping (with EQ as well). The other advantage of

digital is that you could keep everything digital all the way through

the amplifier - thus minimizing the need for a pre-amp and getting rid

of a ton of unnecessary A/D D/A transitions. Basically, it'll be an

audiophile's dream (well....at least for the audiophiles interested in

the latest technology). Your signal path would entail digital out from

the CD player going into this unit and then all the speaker wires going

to your speakers.

All that to say...if you were indeed interested in such a product and

trust that I'm not a crappy engineer, I would be more inclined to

persue this project if I knew of someone out there that would be

interested in having one. It's not a pre-requisite for the project or

anything, but I'd like to do something useful with my tuition money

instead of building digitally controlled potato cannons...

Anyways, if you're interested let me know. If not, no worries - I think I'm going to build one for myself anyway. But if I knew you wanted one, I might be inclined to design it a bit more specifically for your application... [;)]

Guest " "

"I was thinking I've currently got two amps, two power cords, wires everywhere... If I could find a 4 channel amp that could 'do it all' then I might look into it. Something like that could allow me the good sound (like when I have one LF bin not working and can't tell, OR have them out of phase and don't notice...) and save some space.

So, I could possibly get rid of 1 preamp, 2 amps, totaling about 160/180 pounds of "stuff"?? in lieu of a mysterious do it all 4 channel, class A integrated that might weigh 60 pounds?"

This is actually a pretty common feature.  A 5 channel reciever that has pre-out and power-amp in jumpers would allow you to connect your active EQ from the L+R pre-amp line out of the reciever and allow the active EQ outputs to be connected to the power-amp line inputs of the left, right, right rear, left rear.  This would result in the goal of replacing a pre-amp, and two power amps with one device that would do the job of all three.

I think I have a reciever that can provide 2 channels at 320 watts, and 3 channels at 160 watts ( as well as 7 channels at 160).

I may have another that can provide 7 channels at 130 watts.

Who: Why dont you email me a bit more detail (primarily cost concerns/projections) Could be interesting experiment.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Fritzie: Any of those in a class A kind of situation? I keep harkening back to the delightful sound I had with the SE-OTLs on Khorns. Im simply not eloquent enough to find words for it but it just sounded more real.

Id like to toy around with that kind of stuff again on the big fuglies!!

Ya, but MAS, I can't do ANYTHING to this room... nothing! If it ain't flowers, candels, fluffly stuff... then I can't touch it. Not even sure she's going to keep her word on allowing me to do "what ever I want" downstairs either (final destination of electonic toys). Now, as far as Helen Reddy's rendition of Danny Boy, I'm not there yet... I'm still stuck in the "O's" with Marie Osmond singing Paper Roses... just can't get it out of my head...[:|] I'm going to TELL you to NOT think about that song anymore (Paper Roses)...of course, in the hopes that by telling you to NOT think about it, you will ultimately be unable to STOP thinking about it!

[6]

Oh, and my wifes teddy's effects on the bagpipes, congas and uh...... well... never mind!

[*-)]

So "Paper Roses" is stuck in your head? Here's something to replace it, and it's very helpful to have it running through your mind when dealing with someone aggravating: http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/flash/play/9336

"Up Butt Coconut"

I own an Accuphase E-530 integrated amp.  To use it in a bi-amp configuration you attach a 2nd power amp to the pre-out (leaving the EXT PRE button in the "ON" position).  They show the main amp driving the bass signal and the 2nd amp driving the high frequency signals.  This requires using speakers with internal crossovers and having both amps with similar gains.  This makes no use of the A + B feature.  In this manner one could use the solid state E-530 to drive the bass and some other class "A" tube amp to drive the high frequency  You could, as well, connect a separate external pre-amp to the pre-in connections.  This way one could run a tube pre-amp, a solid state signal to the bass and a tube amp to the high frequency.  But then you have a pile of equipment so you're sorta back to square one.