Tractrix on the cheap!

Some great info, thanks guys.

My earlier attempts at trying to maintain a grain failed by using the approach that Bruce E suggests but the thick strips I used sound no different to the cardboard layers and MDF used in my later attempt. I cannot detect vibrations but to know for sure I would need to put on a test bench.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In continuation of the theme "cheap," I've been itching to obtain a pair of inexpensive wood Tractrix horn for my extra K55-Vs. My Khorns have Al sourced Trachorn 400s but I'd like to have a separat pair of wood horns to go with my spare Beyma CP-25s and BEC AA crossovers.

Please let me know if you know where I can get a "cheap" pair of Tractrix used horm for K55-Vs.

Thanks,

Ki

I built these 2" 300 hz. horns using 3/8" bendable plywood. Not bad stuff, but next time I will probably laminate two sheets of 1/8" Russian Birch or 1/8" MDF. Those materials just finish better if you are going with paint.

I found a local cabinet maker who would build these horns for me. Could someone point me to the place where I can obtain a drawing for these horns?

Ki

Beautiful work Jordan. I caught your full thread and you have a gift.

By the way I have now done some A/B testing 401 v tractrix in my system, while there are certainly some irritations with the AK4 crossover using the tractrix, the result is cleaner and more defined than the 401. The sweet spot is also bigger and better.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

That is most interesting that you hear the AK4 differently with the tractrix horn. That observation may demonstrate an easily observable difference between the K400 and tractrix. I'm not a tech type at all, but it is my understanding the the AK4 has got alot driver specific EQ tweaking in it's design. It is the least satisfactory for driver substitution because of that. Maybe it doesn't like horn substitution either. hmmmmm. Have you listened to your Khorns with a type A crossover?

I agree that the tractrix is a better midhorn solution than K400.

Hi,

I have not listened to the Khorns with any other networks and was contemplating building/buying some networks such as Al K makes. However I do use the same drivers with the tractrix K55X (or V) and put the K77F on the vertical sitting on top of the tractrix (what a diff this makes to the sound of the K77) this I think better integrates the two horns/drivers than the K400 and K77 (on the horizontal). I'm no techo either but just let my ears do the testing, it works for me

Cheers